My Mate and his BOSE!!!! HaHaHa Boom Boom!!

W

WBC

Ready?....................................

.............My mate has just bought a new house. WE have been talking about DVD and 5.1.

He is incredibly happy with his BOSE lifestyle..........Everyone can understand that , its small, its speakers are small, its muffled and it tinny!! :rotfl: Oh yeah and its white!!!

He has a room in his new house that he will use as an adult room. DVD's, music, chains, rubber paddles etc. He's looking to buy a new TV and setup his BOSE.

I'm trying hard to explain, his BOSE, at best, will suit the background charms used in a dining room, he HAS to go 5.1 (Dolby, DTS who cares 5.1 is a start!!! Might even convince him eventually of 6.1, but I doubt it! :D ) At present he doesn't see the need. Its not a money thing (far from it) he's just HAPPY with his BOSE!

So after boring you, here's the thing, he's coming round next week to be convinced. What definitive soundtrack will do it????

I know there is a thread on demo DVD's but WE ARE TALKING SOUND HERE PEOPLE, I'm not worried about PQ!!! Oh and it would be better if the film kept his attention. It don't matter how good the sound & PQ is, if the film is utter tosh!!! (took me a few years to work that out :zonked: :devil: :rotfl: :zonked: )

Sorry if the thread is long....but thats beer for ya!!!!! (and the thread title was OBVIOUSLY not a pop at BOSE, just wanted ya to read)

Stace :D

Oh by the way........Dimmy, please don't mention the Matrix (that includes all of them :laugh: :laugh: )

Hawklord

I can't see the problem with your m8's bose system if he's happy with it good luck to him. If it does everything he require's of it who's to judge:)

still it will be nice to let him hear what he might be missing (since I don't know what you set up is) and show him what an alternative system may offer (if it's of a similar price).

I always find a good war movie does the trick Saving private ryan is always a good choice or my favourite is the tank scene on the pianist (when it blows out the house he's squatting in - giving you the effect of going deaf 'n' all). The Underworld dts track on my reg 3 copy is quite impressive too:devil:

W

WBC

Thanks Hawklord.

I do agree...If he's happy then crack on, but he truly doesn't realise what he's missing (the house is in complete need of renevation. Nows the time to run the cables, if ya know what I mean!!). His BOSE is fine for listening to background music but I've just done a test (bearing in mind, all his DVD's are played straight through the TV & not his BOSE) I've just watched The Haunting.

There were certain chapters that I replayed on the system then just through the TV. The difference is fantastic (obviously). We all know about the bass, but the directional subtilties are really quite amazing! The problem with The Haunting is, although the sound really is quite impressive, the film pretty much sucks :rotfl: (at least as a horror!!!)

I'm not trying to do any more than eduacate my best mate (&best man) how to move forward in the realms of AV!!!

Attu

Novice Member
What about Mission Imposible 2 ???, yup i know there are better films but for impressing those who dont know better :) ...well it works for me :)

Andy

W

WBC

Got to admit, I was thoroughly impressed with the sound on the second installment of LOTR.

Its definately demo quality but I don't think he'll apreciate the 19hrs running time....or what ever it is!!! :devil:

W

WBC

40 views in half an hour.....this time of night.......must be someone out there!!!

I thought all you students went to bed early for class!!! :devil:

Stace :D (mind you start of the weekend and all that :clap: :clap: :clap: )

hornydragon

Blade 1 or 2 or XXX has some decent sounds.
PS which BOSE system does he have?
And have you listened to it?

W

WBC

Smurfin,

You don't have to endure it......pass it by!!

By the way you smurfin cause of the cartoon or are you a breaker???

HornyDragon,

Yeah I've heard it. Its only stereo, I don't know it's model number!! I've listened to the BOSE 5.1 equivelant and for the money theres defiNATEly better out there!!!

I appreciate this thread is a common one but DVD's change, new ones are released, it's hardly a Dolby vs DTS thread is it!!!

W

WBC

Donnacha,

Thanks, but thats really part of the point, I think I need to subject him to the whole film.

I have to agree the Pod Race sound is great but lets be honest...the film is [swear wored removed by Mod]. He's also a die hard fan of the originals, so showing him the pod race in DD will probably make him buy an aiwa!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

No offence, Obviously!! :smashin:

bowenjones

You could try Twister dts - this has a very aggresive surround
mix and is bound to impress him.
Or, Daredevil which also makes excellent use of all the sound
channels and will definately make his Bose Lifestyle sound
more like Deadstyle!

Nobber22

Novice Member
If your mate's Bose kit isn't setup yet, get him to sling it in his car and bring it round for a head-to-head. :)

Jayb

Standard Member
The opening to ice age is pretty good, this was used to demo Kef eggs when I was hunting for a system.

Why not let your mate choose a few of his favourite films, if he already loves the movie then the added dimension of 5.1 or DTS should do the trick. Also don't just concentrate on the base, a friend of mine thought that a 5.1 set up would only be a benifit if the movie had a banging soundtrack, of course we all love it when its loud but I put on Narc and he was very impressed by the improvement even on the dialogue driven scenes.

Another trick I use to demo my 5.1 system is to put some thing on with a banging sound track (usually The Matrix loby scene and I know you said not the Matrix but bullets flying and a bangin sound track I love it) and because I have my DVD also wired into the TV I can turn the volume up on the TV while useing the 5.1 and half way through the scene turn off the amp so now we are only using the TV speakers. Every body I have shown are blown away by the difference.

Hope this helps.....:smashin:

W

WBC

Thanks Guys.

Jayb, I'm not overly worried about the Bass, It's all about the subtleties in my book, I was just commenting on the bass in the haunting.

ELV

Thought that Darkness Falls was pretty impresive in parts especially the placement and bass or Moulin Rouge!!!!!!

BadAss

Banned
I would use the Fifth Element. Have the DVD paused just before the opera scene and let your mate sit down. Then when his attention is on screne turn up the volume and hit the play button.

If at the end of the scene he shows no response then check his pulse because hes probably just died.

Get hold of the Gladiator DTS disc, a few minutes into the film just before the huge battle at the beginning, and do what BadAss suggests in the post above this.

I guarantee he'll either go deaf because of how agressive the sound is, or crap himself with fright!

It's such a hell of a soundtrack.