1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Marantz Sr4300 Just went POP!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mawny, Sep 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Mawny

Mawny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a call at work today from my other half who had to report that my Marantz SR4300 amp had just gone pop and emitted some smoke !!

I got her to unplug it immediatley and rang Super-fi in Leeds where i bought it this january.

They will send it away to their service department to have a look. Id rather not be without an amp for any period of time , should I not just get it automatically replaced ? Im not sure i want this paticular one back even after its been patched up.

Should I be pressing for an immediate swap-out for a new model when i take it in to the shop, or is that not within the terms of my warranty?

2. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think you are entitled to a swap out because it was not defective from new but I know that stores like Richer Sounds will loan you another amp while yours is being repaired. Perhaps you should ask if Super-fi will do the same.

3. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were you unhappy with this receiver before this incident? Just wondering, as I'm looking to get into the Home Cinema scene and am wondering which amp/receiver to buy myself, in the budget up to £400-ish. Must be good for music and movies, which I have been told the 4300 is.
    Cheers.

4. Mawny

Mawny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a great little amp. My first AV reciever so i have little to compare it against. I havent listened seriously to that much music with it , but its impressive with DVDS. I partner it with the Kef eggs ( mk1).

I was actually thinking about returning it anyway ( when I could get my finger out!) cos there were occasional crackles on the front left channel but only on digital inputs ( i.e DVD ) and only it seemed on DD sources.

5. Soni

Soni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rainbow

Marantz are generally good recievers but alot of them seem to have a slight buzzing noise and popping noises.

If your looking at £400 you can very good deals on second hand recievers that are still pretty new and most of the latest formats for e.g

Denon 3802
    Denon A10se
    Yamaha RXV - 1300

and maybe a few more recievers but my brain isn't on cue this morning... all could be had between £350- £550

They would be better then the 4300 in stero to.

Go and have a listen :)

Cheers

Soni