my major gripe with sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by HMHB, Jul 10, 2002.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,058
    Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong !!

I'm not very keen on the whole sky EGP thingy. My main gripe is that everything is "event driven" - ie you set it to change channels by selecting a program. There is no way to tell it to change to UK Gold at 9PM.
    Where this fails is that if I want to watch a prog which starts at 8:50pm on UK Gold and I'm watching something on another channel which ends at 9pm - I usually choose to miss the first 10 minutes of the UK Gold program so I see all the other program. This is impossible to do unattended on any Sky digibox I have seen and so am assuming it is the same on Sky+.
    I need to be able to tell the box to turn over to another channel at a particular time and in my opinion this will not be possible while sky keep this system.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    That sounds about right.
    SKY decided when they launched digital back in '98 to ditch a standard timer function for a full EPG type listing which has never been adequate for recording purposes.
    It's been mentioned that a standard timer facility will be added to SKY+ on the next OS update but until it happens it's just a rumour.

If you really want to do 100% accurate/reliable recording off SKY D then get yourself a VCR which has has satellite control and tells the digibox when and what channel to switch too.
    Before I bought SKY+ I used my Panasonic VCR to control my PACE digibox and as long as I put the times in correctly it never failed to record what I wanted.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which Panasonic controls a digibox?

The only STB VCRs I could find were Toshiba and JVC.

I am just about to buy either a panasonic NVHS830 or a JVC 7955 and was erring on the side of JVC because of STB control.

Excuse my ignorance, its 6 years since I looked at VCRs and have no idea what they are capable of now.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    For some bizarrre reason Panasonic removed the IR STB control feature from their current range of VCR's.

I bought my NV FJ710 a couple of years ago purely for it's satellite control and it worked a treat with my digibox.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just rang panasonic who say that their current range work on thr principle that you program the digibox to come on and the VCR is triggered b the digibox coming on, so STB control isnt needed.

Does this work does anyoneknow?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    That's right in principle but it relies on the digibox autoview switching to work flawlessly which it doesn't :)
    It also doesn't solve the problem of only being able to select whole programs and not individual start/stop times which was the point of the original post I believe.

Personally I have total faith in my VCR controlling my digibox and working 100% correctly, if you can say the same for your digibox controlling a VCR then that method on the latest Panasonics is for you:)

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,058
    Are there any hard disk recorders that will do the satellite control stuff ?
    I'm asking because I'm on the lookout for a new video recorder - but would love to go for a hard disk based system. I don't feel like paying Sky all that extra subscription for something that doesn't do what I want. If they were to change this I would buy Sky+ tomorrow (as long as the EPG system was accurate!!).
    A further point here for me is that I hate the Sky digital teletext. I've always "dipped into" teletext during ad breaks and injuries during football matches etc - the sky digital teletext doesn't allow you to even hear the sound nevermind see the picture. BBC seem to have done this so much better.
    Sorry to rant on like this - but as a computer analyst/programmer I know that they could do it so much better !

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Well there is always TIVO which I believe has a manual timer in addition to it's TV listings and can of course control a digibox.
    There are "dumb" HD recorders on the horizon and one or two here right now but they are expensive.

The timer feature on SKY+ has been mentioned as part of a future software upgrade, it would certainly add another level of usability to the hardware which is seriously let down by the pathetic support from broadcasters:(