1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mains are mismatched?!?!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ailean, Nov 7, 2003.

1. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was me happy as larry playing with my new AVIA dvd, when I noticed something odd in the speaker callibration section.

Got all the levels sorted with a meter and then played with the wide band pink noise across mains and center. There was a bit of differance for main and center but supprisingly I could hear a not so suttle differance between my main left and right speakers! :confused:

Going to have to play some more but any ideas?

They are Mission 753 floorstanders, on spikes, on carpet, same distance and angle with no obstructions. They are bi-wired to a Yam DSP-A1 with cabletalk 3.

Checked the connections and phase.

Suspect one of the five drivers in one might be dead. :(

2. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Presumably some of the drivers are not accesible, otherwise its a pretty easy job to see if ones not working.

Worth swapping the left & right over as well, in case it's the amp.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Are they both the same distance from boundaries? (Walls, corners, furniture etc)

4. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My battle plan at the moment is to try and sample the test tones and get a pretty graph I can look at, see if I can spot the differance. I couldn't see/feel a dud driver with the pink noise but I think I need something a bit more THUMP THUMPish to be sure.

If I can measure the differance I'll try swaping the speakers around and see if it follows the speaker or the channel/position.

They are approximately equal distant from walls but on one side a fireplace sticks out about 1.5-2' and a sofa sticks out about 4' on the other. These might affect reflected sound I guess. There's no direct obstruction thou and they face direct to the central seating position.