My Mad Idea for getting a Toshiba HD DVD player back from the US

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Max Payne, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Basically Im off on business again to the US and came up with an idea.

Step 1: Purchase HD A1 player in best buy
    Step 2: Take everything out of the box and put all the wires/booklets into my case.
    Step 3: Put the player into a very strong (macys style) bag and use it as "hand luggage" i.e. carry it onto the plane with me
    Step 4: Bring it onto the plane after it going through the checks
    Step 5: Bring it through the airport in Ireland (very lax in the customs area at 7am when I arrive) as my hand huggage

Yes, this seems mad - but COULD it work or will I get stopped straight away at the initial check in area when it goes through the scanner? If you can take laptops, why not a player the size of a present?

Why Im thinking of this: the unit costs $500, which is £263 or only 389euros

......or maybe I should just UPS it!!]
    What do you think......would it work?:suicide:

2. musti

musti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Let me know what you decide to do....

I'm off to Boston on Saturday with business and you have just planted a very interesting idea into my head......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How about taking it out of the box and wrapping it up in clothes in the suitcase....??

-Cheers.

3. rob roberts

rob roberts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i think you would find it hard to get it through customs as hand luggage with the current threat at airports.

They are very suspicious of all electrical items so something that large may set off alarm bells.

I think the best solution (providing you have friends in the states) is to get a friend to buy it for you and then fed ex or ups it to you at home. My freind buys lap tops this way and has never (touch wood) had a problem.

4. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Would risk the wrapping it up in bubble wrap and mixing it clothes(a previous idea) as I have seen baggage handlers at work and I don't think it would work when I got it back.

The way Im thinking is that it will be with me at all times through the flight and the less chance of damage. Customs in Ireland won't be the problem - I just wondering what will happen when I put it through the scanning machine, will I be called into a room???

5. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I read before here that the package might be too large to put in the over head lockers (unless maybe your travelling business class). I put stuff like 100ft reel of speaker wire in my check in bags before, some airports in the US will scan your bag just after you get your tickets. I said to one of the guys I have a reel of cable in there, he said no problem.
    But with the recent scares things might be more difficult to get through customs/bag scanning.
    Which airport you coming back into, dublin/cork.. customs get laxer as the airports get smaller :D

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Not a hope in hell.

7. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Im travelling business class - so it will be with me the whole time.

As for the Airport - Shannon! The best Airport to bring home presents/equipment through. The last time I went through at 6.45 and the guy was asleep on the chair at the customs area:eek:

Im not going for another 4 weeks and things might have slacked off by them.Still seriously thinking about it - but if all else fails, the UPS option might come into it.

But think of it this way. If I was going to the US tomorrow and need to bring a small form factor PC (which is basically what the HD A1 is) and its only 2 or 3 times the size of a laptop and it is a computer - would they let me through with it if I said I needed to bring it because it has software that was needed ?

Any customs officiers on here?:confused:

8. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Why?

I have brought through external hard drives and there wasn't an issue.

What are you basing your opinion on?

9. saibot

saibot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    would be loads of room in business allright, and if your flying direct from US to shannon should be easier. Shannon sounds even better than Cork :thumbsup:

If you sent if via UPS from state home, are you running the risk of getting caught for customs/duty ?

Wonder if there is some permit you can get for transporting equipment, I went to france before with a sun server, but that was checked through into the hold in a plastic hard case.

Would be interested to see if you succeed, might be going myself aswell soon.

10. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you get home and plug it in and its not working, what then? Would you not be better of going through one of the online places some have used here?

11. KenX

KenX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Isn't there a no-hand-luggage between the UK and the US now?
    I hear people can't even bring their mp3-players and certainly
    not a laptop.
    A HD DVD player might be hard to motivate in such circumstances, unless you can connect it to the cockpit display and give the captain a good 1080p show.
    :D

12. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hand luggage is allowed to be taken on flights to and from the states(but only one item:rolleyes: )I brought a dvd player back from the states two years ago as hand luggage(no packaging) and had no problem at all.The only security check will be in the states,and you wont have a problem going through the xray machine.The saving of money is good at the exchange rate,but as mentioned,you wont have even a 30 day warranty!!

13. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I think Mr D is referring to recent events regarding terrorism. Have you seen the news over the last few days? If you can't get an iPod through, You've absolutely no chance with a HD-DVD player.

14. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    They have sinse changed the rules regarding hand luggage.As i mentioned above,1 item of hand luggage is allowed(ipod,dvd player,laptop.etc..)Only thing on flights to and from the states you are not aloud is drinks(unless baby milk!)

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    So you are only allowed items that are aloud? Shame it's not silent items only. :clown:

StooMonster

16. TivoUK

TivoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have brought back VCR's, consoles and other items from my holidays in Orlando over the years, wrapping them up BIG time in bubble wrap and then putting them in the suitcase with loads of rolled up clothes around them. Never had any issues with hte getting bust in transit.

Another option is to see if there is a Mailboxes Etc store near to where you are going on business - they are a franchise operation and do loads of postal things - the most useful is they are agents for UPS or another courier firm, you can pick a box in store, fill it with plastic chips / bubble wrap and send it via courier yourself.

17. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Hit and miss.

I've put framed painting (wrapped in bubble-wrap) and games consoles and high tech goods in suitcase -- and no problems.

I once put a laptop in my suitcase and LCD was shattered.

I've travelled a lot on business, and seen all sorts of luggage "problems" -- ever seen a bag fall off the luggage trolley on the tarmac and then the trolley and it's train run over it? Seen that a few times!

StooMonster

18. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I would go for it.!

19. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yo

I've been thinking the same myself, you wont know for sure until you get to xray !

JOhn

20. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes, it the xray part that is the only problem especially over the US side. They look at me really funny the time I brought back in an american style post box (don't ask why).

Im just wondering what do I say when they ask me what it is and what Im doing bringing it through.

Answer 1: Its a PC that I have software on that I need to bring back to Ireland?
    or
    Answer 2: I was given this as a present from my friend in the US
    or

Answer 3: You wouldn't believe how much of a bargain I got with this?

21. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Original Quote:
    "Why Im thinking of this: the unit costs $500, which is £263 or only 389euros"

Half the price reason enough?

22. alfraser

alfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Was on business trip to Houston last week and opicked up an open box HD A1last Tuesday at Best Buy for $450 + tax. Had worked out the unit would fit in my cabin bag without packaging. Tested the unit through the hotel TV with Serenity and no probs. That is until the cabin baggabe rules changed on Thursday. Only solution was to bring it back in original box in hold. Was a bit concerned the large Toshiba lettering on the case might raise some flags but no :thumbsup: . All my other hold baggae laptop etc was searched in Houston but the A1 box was unopened. Now happily enjoying the delights of HD DVD. A true cinematic experience.

23. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,528
    Yep, customs in Ireland is a joke, the amount of items i bought in the states, and they did nothing about any of them.

24. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hey there

Excellent - delighted it worked for you.

Can you explain again what you did in the end. Did you check the Toshiba in at the reception desk or did you bring it on the plane yourself with your laptop?

25. alfraser

alfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No hand luggage allowed on BA flights returning from US last week. Literally had to get on the plane with only passport, boarding pass, wallet and watch, all in a clear plastic bag. Had to check laptop, mobile and Toshiba into hold and hope for the best. No questions asked at the BA check in desk in Houston. Box got a baggage label and off it went. The Toshiba made it through in its original packing without a scratch surviving Houston security and the baggage handlers at Gatwick and hapilly emerged on the carousel.

New carry on baggage restrictions now mean future Toshibas will have to go in the hold. So if you pick one up your options are to transport it in its original packing (safest) or a well padded suitcase. Basically to get early access to the HD DVD technology at $500 is a bargain. You wont regret it.

26. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yo

Just to let you know that current hand baggage policy would let you bring it back, as long as its no bigger than 16x35x45cm.
    1cm bigger and it wont get on.
    Of course things change daily but if you were flying back today on any carrier thats the size.

John

27. alfraser

alfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    HD-A1 manual lists external dimentions as 10.3 x 35.3 x 43cm. Close.

28. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks Again,

Im not too keen on bringing that large box into the airport and thats the main reason for taking it out of the box and into a bag that I could carry. Then it would be just the size of the player without the foam and box packaging.

Still thinking about it. - thanks for the input though!

29. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm currently toying with the idea of doing a similar thing with a Lumagen. With the exchange rate as it is, it's significantly cheaper to buy one stateside and bring it back.

30. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Tosh only $412 at Amazon.com
    (won't ship to UK, so a Parcels2go US box needed or similar)