My lounge set up...take two

Grayman

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally finished putting together a completely new system for home cinema and gaming.

Originally had an XBOX 360, PT850 DVD/Surround all-in-one player, and a large black glass floor stand that the TV sat on.

Originally decided I wanted everything on the wall, so bought shelves that gave a floating effect, a TV wall mount bracket, and speakers with wall mount brackets as well.

Unfortunately, after drilling around 16 holes in the wall and bolting the shelving up, as well as running all the cabling, the wife came in and said it looked like a large bike rack had been bolted to the wall (okay, I can laugh about it now, and I suppose she had something of a point, but after all that work I wasnt exactly chuffed).

Que unbolting all the shelves and filling all the holes, sanding, and repainting (area is to the left of the telly in the pics), and a total rethink of how to do this.

It didnt help when I hit the electric cable buried in the wall while drilling the left hand speaker bracket holes, had to get an electrician out to chissel away the wall and repair it, so even more filling and painting, what was supposed to be a relatively simple job turned into a much bigger (and more expensive) one.

The equipment consists of a 46" Samsung LE46M LCD TV, Harman Kardon HKTS11 surround speakers and subwoofer, Yamaha AX763 amp, 80GB PS3, and a Sky+ box. The stand is an Alphason Sona, which accomodates the amp perfectly.

Used hdcable.co.uk Platinum HDMI leads and a profigold 7030 scart to connect eveyting, which gave a genuinly improved picture over the mishmash of cheapy cables I had previously.

Here are a couple pics...

Before:

27938298c696a4f1dd596b6a078ac1c41eea3d5f5f415ee1cfe8da092cec613ad516aabf.jpg

After:

31648986b55b244f6af8ded396ae3add2b743c2740297ca24f9788433b2b560789c01c06.jpg

541289144df8ed133e6f41ecbbb763884d2110a6b5a680b0b4a32980104c7f99e4037244.jpg

One day I may take on something a bit more extreme like converting the garage to a dedicated HC room, but for now this gives a good picture and sound while still allowing it to be a lounge as opposed to a HC room, which keeps everyone happy.

Last edited:
You should have made sure Earl's eyes were closed for his picture!

Cheers for the heads up on that, hopefully fixed now.

Looks nice, I like the screen and the smaller stand.

Thanks, though looking through the other posts on here my setup is about as tame as it gets :( I cant believe the systems that people put in!! seriosuly impressive.

It took me ages just to do this, and it felt like a lot of hard work, anything more than this id probably get someone else in to do it, im pretty rubbish at DIY.

Thanks, though looking through the other posts on here my setup is about as tame as it gets :( I cant believe the systems that people put in!! seriosuly impressive.

It took me ages just to do this, and it felt like a lot of hard work, anything more than this id probably get someone else in to do it, im pretty rubbish at DIY.
Hey, don't put yourself down, it's a very good, clean install! There are a lot of very impressive systems here, but then, there are a lot of single fellas here :D Yours looks like an ideal living room set-up.

If you ever do decide to do something like the garage conversion you mention, the lessons you learned in doing this will stand you in good stead. Everyone makes mistakes, it's impossible not to, and you don't look too bad at DIY to me!

Greta set up mate nice and clean. :thumbsup: How do you find the premium cables from hdcable.co.uk? Im interested in their cables and will need a 10m one for my projector, and they dont cost too much either (ÂŁ39.99 for 10m). What was their service like and how quick did they arrive?

Sorry for the questions :smashin:

Thanks in advance
KobeoneHD

I think you're being far too hard on yourself for two reasons:

1) Your setup is not extravagant, but that's not the same as being tame. Besides, no matter how fancy a setup on here is, you can bet there's an even fancier one out there.

2) Your DIY skills must be of a decent level if you're confident enough to hang an expensive TV on the wall. I wouldn't even attempt it myself.

People here shouldn´t be judged or should judge themselves by what gadgets they have or how fancy they are or look. Not all of us can afford impressive setups but i guess that we all have something in common. A taste for movies music and a passion for this hobby "expensive one i must say, it eats the wallet and sometimes the other half´s patience".

I like your setup as is. I bet you are already thinking of buying something new to add to it... Let´s see what christmas brings right?

Three words to sum it. Keep it up. See as for myself now, i am stiil waiting to buy a new sub from B&W but still haven´t saved enough. The wait is killing me hehe..

By the way does anyone have a reviews on B&W ASW 750?

Regards to all. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Besides, no matter how fancy a setup on here is, you can bet there's an even fancier one out there.

Exactly Kero-chan. There will always be someone with more than another. The main thing is being happy with what you've got, appreciating it and realising how lucky you are.;)

I think it looks great Grayman, and you've blended both an HC and a living space, which for those of us without the option of a dedicated room is the best compromise. Nice one mate.:smashin:

I prefer the way it was before. Still looks good though

Same here. There seems to be something missing, bigger speakers or a bigger AV rack maybe? It's like there's this HUGE TV that is dwarfing everything else in the system. Maybe i'm just rambling?

It could just be the way the photo is from further away on the last 2 though, it looks like there's less there.

Thanks for all the comments, all appreciated, even the ones that prefer the before setup!! Possibly is the way the after pics were taken, as in the lounge it all looks like it fits together quite nicely.

My next upgrade will be floorstanding speakers I recon, long way off thou, may make the telly less imposing as such, ill also get some better pics that try to do the final result more justice.

As for hdcable.co.uk Kobeone, excellent service and really nice cables, they look superb and picture/sound quality is very solid, highly recommend them.

Cheers
Grayman

It's like there's this HUGE TV that is dwarfing everything else in the system.

My next upgrade will be floorstanding speakers I recon, long way off thou, may make the telly less imposing as such, ill also get some better pics that try to do the final result more justice.

Agreed, the speakers dont look right next to the big screen. Im glad your thinking of floortanders GRAYMAN, will sound loads better to.
No rush though so keep enjoying your system :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom