• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

My LONG Lost Saga :)

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
==If you don't have all day to read this then scroll right down and answer the two question at the end==

Well this is a long story which thankfully has a happy ending :). Over the years i've had to replace a dvd player, Logic 3 i-station, and deal with an erroneous shipping fee from Amazon.co.uk, all of which were dealt with quickly and efficiently so the screwups (mostly the manufacturers fault anyway) by Amazon.co.uk so I was reassured that when the time came that I had to deal with the Amazon US big boys that they woud have the same high standard of customer service, thankfully I was right :D

Way, way back when the Lost DVD was announced I pre-ordered it with Amazon.com for $38 (£22), I wasn't worried about customs because I was having the DVD shipped to a San Fran addy. The reason for this being I ordered the DVD with a book (Earthcore by Scott Sigler) which I was sending to him to get signed. Anyway, if your still following Sigler recieved the book and Lost set and sent it to me on the 28th Dec. Well the weeks went by and eventually I assumed that Lost had got well lost, screwed my intention of getting it watched well before C4 finished showing season 1. Turns out it was just the christmas post backlog and it eventually turned up on March 1st!, no customs as i'd made sure he marked it down low enough.

Man did that postie delivery make my day!, especially as Lost was supposed to be part of my Xmas prezzie the other part of which was the deceased i-station I mentioned before. So I thought i'd take a look at the discs, packaging etc so I proceeded to spend nearly 15 minutes trying to get the bugger out of the pack, god knows what I found so tricky about it as it now slides out easy as anything but I swear the bugger wouldn't budge!. So after the titanic battle to extricate the shiny discs from there plasticky prison I enventually emerged victorous and folded the pack out on the bed.

Aahhh!, bask in the ownership of the Lost DVD I did for all of five minutes anyway :rolleyes:, so for some reason I decided to put disc 1 in the player - think I was just interested in seeing if they had done anything flashy with the menus, then it all went badly wrong!. Thought I would first check the pilot, you know I couldn't resist slow mo'ing that chap getting turned into mince meat by the planes fan, all was well top quality drama :clap: and next I turned to episode 3, you know it has a dumb name so I clicked it, and nothing!. Hmmm this be unusual thought me, even more so when the drive started making some extremely queer sounds then after maybe ten seconds it started to play the episode but had jumped to 40 seconds in, frowning like a old codged I then watched as the damn discs skipped and stuttered through the rather important scene where Jack discovers Kate's a convict!, so after taking five minutes to struggle through to around 2.00 in it then got it's act together and played as a DVD should. Naive me thought oh simple i'll just wipe it a bit with some bog roll that'll sort it, DID IT HECK AS LIKE!.

So with this partially screwed episode I wasn't too stressed because it came with this little booklet that said make sure you register your dvd's to take advantage of our faulty disc replacement program!, aha I thought Buena are organised so a replacement shouldn't be a tricky task and besides I just kept telling myself it was only like 50 odd seconds of true footage anyway seeing as the first 40 are comprised of the previous on....bullsh*t. Well I trudged along to video.com/support registered said discs then sent them an email, got a nicely prompt response which wasn't much to my linking. Apparently they couldn't help because they were Buena US and i'm a UK resident so go screw yourself, all I got from them was an address for Buena Vista UK, somewhere in London. So I actually had to attempt to write a letter! (yeah, those things with ink on paper that get stuffed in the red boxes), like I could remember how!, can't say I had wrote (well typed) a letter to anyone in say, well since sometime last century. I made it through that excercise in boredom (you'll know what that's like if your still reading this by the time I finish) and headed over the road to post the thing.

Anyway while waiting for Buena Vista to get there arse in gear I thought schizer I haven't even checked the rest of the ep's yet, sure they'll be fine but no, if one can get screwed then so can two so I started checking through them, disc 2 check fine and dandy, disc three check, disc four....huh?, why am I checking the same disc twice?, idiot me having picked up disc two twice!. But no :eek: t'wasn't the same disc it was another goddamned disc 2!, turns out i've got two disc 2 and no disc 4, just a slightly more serious issue than a loopy episode three wouldnt you say. I mean sure it's nice to have two pretty disc pictures of Kate instead of one but i'm sorry Miss Lilly doesn't make up for four lost lost shows!. Damn lucky I even caught these errors at all because I NEVER check my boxset discs! (makes me want to run and check Desperate Housewives right now, can't have the ladies of Wisteria lane running out on me!). Previously I intended to watch the set immediately, but after seeing all the ep's on 4/downloaded I was just going to stash the sets until a few years down the line when the series true has finished.

It was at this point that I noticed a certain thread in the bargain forum about Screen Select, sign up for there free trial and get some free rentals and a free dvd. I had a plan, killeth two birds with one stone, get a free Shark Tale DVD and a temporary solution to my mini-Lost crisis. So I signed up for that (got Shark Tale today btw) and whacked Lost disc 1 and 4 into my rental list and prioritised them as numero uno, so they came damn quick and i whacked the disc into my PC and rattled off a prefect uncompressed copy of episode three, tried the same with disc four and hit a snag, the disc was too damaged to copy :( tons of little scratches on it led to the software spitting the disc out and giving out a stream of error messages. Didn't stop me though as I requested the disc again and got one that worked, so I copied that, annoyingly to be uncompressed it had to be spread onto two discs because I don't have any of those blank dual layered discs, can you even buy those?.

So I still hadn't heard back from Buena, granted I sent them a slow mo letter, but still i'm impatient and I got sick of waiting so I thought right Google is my best friend. Google served me well and I got another Buena email addy, this one was [email protected] and I got my response from the house of mouse pretty quick aswell and they told me to take it back to where I got it from, WOW So why hadn't I thought of that before!, yeah because i'm a div.

Well I had the feeling that my decision to ship the set to Sigler might screw things up for me when it came to getting a replacement so I kinda neglected to mention this when contacting Amazon so they sent me a quick reply apologising profusely but requesting more information, seems they were just a little baffled by me stating i'm in the UK and having the discs sent to San Fran, so off went my reply written as simply as possible. The second response confirmed my worst fears, they could only create a replacement for the shipping address that was already associated with the order, obviously that wouldn't work for me as I couldn't exactly send it back to Sigler, and even if I could it would mean me covering his shipping fee's AGAIN!. So I read further and got to the terse paragraph "I am sorry to tell you that we cannot replace this order for your U.K address, as you have requested. I hope you will cooperate with our policy.". Grrr :mad: co-operate with their chuffing policy, like I had a damn choice!.

But wait!, there was more reading further down I got the following "However, if you need this order, I request you to place an order with our international site at U.K. If you do not want this order replaced at the above address again, we can refund you for this order as a one time exception." Just how cool was that!, it turns out Amazon.com was willing to pay for my R2 boxset from Amazon.co.uk, despite the UK set costing £41.99 compared to $38 which is £22!, I repeat HOW F-ING COOL IS THAT!, this is customer service at it's best. So after replying to confirm I wasn't being a tool and misreading things I laid down my order at Amazon.co.uk, now I just need to wait for the big .com to issue a credit to my card. Can you tell i'm happy with the outcome :clap: it also amazes me that not once have Amazon ever asked for any proof that my set was a dud, how trusting are they!,

Now I eventually get to the main reason I spent the last hour (well it seems that long) telling you this is that just how much do you think I can flog my region 1 set for, shall I whack it on ebay and sell it as a unique 1 of a kind ten disc Lost boxset, comprising off a knackered episode on disc 1, a episode 1 copied disc, two prefect disc 2, disc 3, disc 5 - 7 and then two ultra rare bonus discs comprising of two episodes from disc 4 each.

Secndly is there any difference at all between the two sets?, because I might keep some of the R1 discs if they have additional commentaries or something.

Actually I just thought of something else, what if Buena Vista UK eventually respond to my letter?, i'm sure I can get them to believe that Amazon.com wouldn't ship me a new set so they are responsible for getting me a new set.

partyweb

Distinguished Member
lovemunkey187 said:
:rotfl: I'm bored and at work, your post has just whiled away ten minutes and made me smile.

So thank you.:smashin:

:rotfl:

Me too, a welcome relief after the heated hmv thread on the bargains forum. :rolleyes:

Mind you, sorry to hear you had so many probs. Glad it's turned out rosy though. :smashin:

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
partyweb said:

Me too, a welcome relief after the heated hmv thread on the bargains forum. :rolleyes:

Mind you, sorry to hear you had so many probs. Glad it's turned out rosy though. :smashin:

Took damn forever writing that out so I must have been bored too, especially as I have my own unique way of writing things, I kinda finish half a line of text then move onto another paragraph then jump somewhere else so it takes time to go back through and make sure it has some coherency, otherwise all you'd get would be half finished sentences. Infact i'm doing it right now as i've already wrote the paragraph below :rolleyes:

I've been skimming that thread on and off, i'm not sure I was following it that well so I decided against posting. Still I couldn't quite work out what everyone was so irate about, was it just that chappie being overly aggressive and argumentative?, or did he do something else?

Makes you wanna :suicide: really, I mean meh! it's a dvd bargains forum!.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
partyweb said:

What's with the Valentino in your sig?, it reminds me that I haven't had chance to see the legend that is the Doctor in action this year, maybe the BBC aren't showing it, man that would make me sad :(

==EDIT==
Nope the BBC still have covergae :), just not started yet.

partyweb

Distinguished Member
Cloysterpeteuk said:
What's with the Valentino in your sig?...

It's my stage name. I'm an entertainer by trade (can't you see the colourful ent clue in the name. :D ) so that's also why the clown face, dancing banana, and references to parties, etc.
:arty:

partyweb, is just the alter-ego-bot that's always sitting here on this forum for me typing away talking to you guys and compiling bargain lists. I envy it. :laugh:

Mics49

Established Member
All I can say to that is: Thanks so much for making me very worried now about the state of my, still unopened, early days R1 Lost set, which on top of all I got in a trade on here a while back... :thumbsup: :suicide: :thumbsdow :D (whatever, I don't know anymore...)

But a good read it was. :)

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Well there has been developments, well Amazon.com didn't do what they said they were going to do, instead they have refunded my card for £34, I was like huh what gives because the Lost set was only £22, turns out they had refunded me for the book that was part of the order, not bad. So I quickly cancelled my Amazon.co.uk order for the set and ordered it from Movie Tyme for £29.99, damn good job they over refunded me because I couldn't have bought it anywhere for £22, couldn't re-order with Amazon.com because of the customs risk.

When will this saga end?, hopefully when i've got a nice perfect Lost in my hands though I still don't know what to do with the other one.

Now i'm off to download some more of season 2 which is dragging a bit at the mo, last three episodes seem to have been:- SPOILERS BELOW - highlight to read

Just about Sawyer, Jin and the Tailies trekking to the opposite side of the Island, damn this Island for being so big!. Actually it's not much of a spoiler anyway.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
I ordered the cosmos box set from Amazon.com when it was waaay expensive, had to pay customs too. But worth it 'cos it's a great series, but about 6 week on when i'd got to disc 4 or something I found a problem with the disc. Emailed amazon.com and the cosmos home site to see if either could help. Amazon replied quickly to say they were sending a full new set and no need to return the old one. Next up, the cosmos web site said they were sending me a replacement disc. Hence I got two sets for the price of one.... :clap: actually, not quite 'caus amazon failed to indicate on the parcel that is was a replacement hence i got stung for customs again... :mad:

Still, I sold one and it helped to offset the original cost! And yes, Amazon customer service (and the web services facilitating it) I've always found to be extremely efficient and fair. More than fair sometimes.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I ended up selling my dud set to my brother for £12, I could have stung the poor bugger for twice that because he doesn't understand anything about dvd prices!.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
simplesimon9 said:
If I was amazon I would sue you
That's a rediculous statement and trolling in my book. :nono:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Cloysterpeteuk said:
And that would make you a litigious fool.
Take a 24 hour ban for insulting another forum member. Have a read of the rules.

S

simplesimon9

I was just saying that what some members in this thread are doing is bordering on criminal..

no offence meant

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom