1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Loft Conversion Pics

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by SCOTT_SCOTLAND, Jun 30, 2004.

1. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loft Conversion

Here is a link to my website where you will see the progress of the loft conversion which we are getting done.

We are making two rooms, one bedroom and the rest will be a
    lounge/home cinema/pub.

This will hopefully be finished by the end of July, including decoration.....

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    That's gonna be huge!

How big is your house? It looks at least twice the size of mine!

Gary.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I hope you ran lots of cables for PJ etc before ceiling boards went in!
    Looks like its gonna be great (dont envy the person in that bedroom when a film is on tho!
    PS consider accoustics treatment of wall and ceiling as shape is not conducive to ideal accoustics.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Absolutely amazing space!....also congrats on such a good website....my son is still ploughing away at our efforts(more time spent on net games than work I think!)

5. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow...big room...big screen...loadsa fun.

Good luck

6. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm, the lounge is 25 1/2 long, bedroom 16 1/2 long and the hall would be about 3 ft = hold on till i go to windows calculator, ok back, 45 ft long.
    Both rooms are approx 16 1/2 ft wide.

All the wires are in place, well, i think they are :rolleyes:

As for anything else, well, its cost twice as much as i thought it would.
    Had to get two new velux windows put in as the ones that were in were too high and not fire escape ones. Had to splash out on 2 rolls of Tri-Iso Super 9 thermal insulation which goes on the angles of the room @ £250 each.

And of course, its got to be carpeted at the end, i'm too scared justnow to phone for a price.

I'll keep on updating the website so remember to check back.

Cheers everyone :thumbsup:

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    LOL - yup - twice as long as mine!!

I can't wait to see the finished result, it should be pretty amazing.

Gary.

8. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please tell me how to add pictures to a message, i have uploaded them but it does not show up when i preview the message ????

9. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully this one works, jeeesh it does, ok, this is the first sheet of plasterboard to be put onto the side walls, as you can see the foil insulation is also installed. getting there slowly but surely :laugh:

Attached Files:

10. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All good home cinema projects needs and expert to offer advice, heres my gaffer, his name is Marshall

Attached Files:

11. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better picture of foil insulation.

Not sure about England, but in Scotland this seems to be the new thing for planning permission, note that it is only on the wall that is directly on the outside of the house thus being the need for the foil insulation and not the normal stuff which is on the ceiling and the bottom side walls.

Attached Files:

12. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeeesh, almost forgot to show youpictures of the bar thats going into the lounge/home cinema, sure i've posted these b4 on my old name. :cool:

Attached Files:

13. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    man i want 1 of them in my house, although ive not made up my mind if its the bar or a yvonne i want :) :blush:

nah only kidding, cant wait to see the room when its finished keep up the good work :)

14. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Fragmaster, the bar is just stuff from BQ, 22mm MDF and a kitchen worktop, the pumps and stuff is mostly from EBay, as for Yvonne, well, shes a gift from god :p

15. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I reckon I'd go for the bar.

16. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats your opinion Doink and your entitled to it...

Update.... All the angled parts of the wall have now been plaster boarded, looks like most of the work will be finished by Friday so will post pictures at the weekend. Next job will be to get a plasterer, has anyone got any idea of how much it would cost to plaster a space that size????

Anyway, its getting there and its really good watching it gradually getting there, also frustrating as i just wish it would go faster...............

:mad:

17. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seeing your shot of marshall reminds me of my pals dog jack and this still makes me laugh remembering . jack had his head sticking out of the van window one day when a fellow motorist stopped at the traffic lights asked "how long have your had you alsatian pup" to which my pal answered
    "8 years mate"

18. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, I've always thought he looks like a doberman pup, and no matter what people say about jack russels they are very friendly dogs. Maybe this should now be moved to the pet dog threads.

Anyway heres a couple of more pics, looks like most of it will be finished on Friday so will have a few pics to post at the weekend

Attached Files:

19. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

20. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: Woops, Sorry mate.

Better not let your wife read this then lol. The cinema was my idea, the bar was Yvonne's idea and i'm not one to argue about that :thumbsup:

Another thing is we have a bandit machine, its downstairs justnow and i'm still trying to figure out how to get it upstairs as it weighs,,, well, it weighs a lot :confused:

21. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i said quite a lot got done on Friday, heres pictures to show you the update. The rest of the plasterboard in the rooms have been finished, apart from the fire escape windows. The hall has been started and almost finished. Now waiting for the sparkie to come back and, well, i dont really know what hes coming back for but i'm sure its for something :blush:

Looks like the rest of the hall wont get finished till another week then its finding a plasterer thats available, any plasterers in the North East of Scotland???? :lease:

Once thats done back in comes the sparkie and plumber then its out with the paint brushes, anyone know of a good website that shows colour schemes wether for home cinema or not? Looking for something quite dark but not black as this is going to be a lounge/bar aswell, green would be nice for Celtic :D

Any help would be great, Cheers :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

22. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With nothing much happening in the build front i'd thought i'd have a go at the diy pj mount. This is my first attempt by the way. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

23. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When do you get time to do all this? I finish work, spend half hour with the kids, eat tea, moan about the credit card bill, pay the milk man and collapse in bed...ready for another day? Painting the garage would require hours of militarily precision planning months before the actual job!!

24. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could tell a lie and say i've done all this myself, who would know?
    But...... I hav'nt. I stay in a small village and just about everyone has a trade, joiners, plumbers, sparkies, anything and everything. I have done quite a lot myself but no way would i have managed all the joinery stuff myself.

As for the time, i am self employed and work from home, so when the phones not ringing i'm upstairs doing as much as i can.

Its still taken a lot longer than what i had hoped but its getting there slowly but surely.

PS, Still looking for a plasterer :lease:

25. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know that one. I just cant find one that will do a sensible quote. :(

Fish

26. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bar in your home cinema room!! When can we visit?!?

27. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, just finished watching monster house on discovery home and leasure and folks got a popcorn booth put in, how silly, bars more important if you ask me. Every Home Cinema Should Have One :thumbsup:

Its really interesting what you can pick up for bars, searching car boot sales, ebay ect ect. We are big Celtic fans and my wife got a shirt from ebay with all the teams autographs on it, mind you, she wont tell me how much she paid :mad:

Thanks for all your comments, Scott

28. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update....

All walls now up, finally got a hold of a plasterer and hes starting tomorrow, 26th July, he reckons its about 3 days work so hopefully we will be painting this weekend, will post pictures then cause im sure yous are all bored looking at plasterboard by now.

29. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You'll have to give the fresh plaster a few days to go off properly before you can start to paint it. Also give it a first coat of white paint as a primer before you give it your colour coat. You will need 2 coats of colour on fresh walls.

30. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats if the guy ever gets here, its 10am and he was supposed to be here at 8. Been told it will need a few coats of primer as the first couple will soak in :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: