1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My location in my profile - what it really means

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mickrick, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have my location set in my profile as "who really cares?". If you're interested in why that is, please read on.

My home is situated at a junction of 2 developments in what is regarded as one of the most sought after areas of my town. Nothing could be further from the truth. At night, crowds gather at the junction. Sometimes the overall crowd can be 50 or more, all mid-teenagers and younger.

The noise of these kids (I don't buy into all that "young person" crap, they're kids!) reaches ridiculous levels with young girls screaming at the top of their lungs and the language from these girls, well I have been married 16 years and my wife and I are very broadminded, but we wouldn't say the sort of things these girls are saying, even in the most "intimate" of moments.

We don't want any sort of contact with this gang, so we have rung the police to have them moved on, but of course they are too busy to come out. So we have gone out on occasion and asked them to keep the noise down or move on. This of course, has led to us being insulted, threatened and generally harassed and intimidated. When my wife ventures outside the front door at all, they stand and scream at her. Not insults or anything, just screaming.

Now things have taken a more sinister turn this week with fireworks being thrown and shot (from makeshift handheld rocket launchers) at our home and our car (over 100 last Monday night alone), our windows pelted with eggs etc.

Last night, my wife and I were walking back from a neighbours home in the adjoining development and we saw this gang milling around. They were split up into four or five groups of around half a dozen strong. We now believe that they had watched where we had gone when we left our home and were lying in wait for us returning. Anyway, our son was walking between us holding our hands. As we passed the first group, they started catcalling and signalling to their mates that we were there. A half-full can of coke was thrown from behind us, hitting my son on the back of the head. He panicked and let go of our hands and started running across the road. He tripped on the kerb and fell flat on his face, hitting his head quite hard and cutting his knees and elbows and forearms. Then these bastards stood around laughing and shouting insults at him. A four year old!

I wanted to stuff my fist down these scumbags throats and pull their lungs out, but we ignored them, picked our son up and walked home. When we got there, our 10 and 14 year old girls told us that shortly after we left the house, it was pelted with eggs again.

We managed to get the police out this time (an hour later, when the gang had dispersed of course) and a local councillor who lives about 100 yards from our home and who has never shown a blind bit of interest in our predicament in the past also arrived to offer her support (there must be an election coming up).

So this brings me to the reason for my location setting.

Residents of our area do not want to know. They drive or walk past these thugs and would never stop to lend their support. One mother stops her car, calls her son, who is part of this rabble, over, speaks to him then drives off. We watch her doing this night after night, but she tells us her son is never there. Our residents' association have pleaded with us not to go public on this because of how it will affect the standing of the area. Yet they will do nothing effective and in fact, move these cretins on from other locations to leave them as our problem. My family is being terrorised, my kids are frightened out of their minds, my wife and I are at our wits end. But nobody cares.

I have a local newspaper coming out this morning to do a feature. A local BBC Radio show that covers the public's concerns and anxieties are treating it so seriously that they are sending the presenter to our home to interview us and hopefully get a handle on what is happening and highlight the problems so that people will maybe begin to sit up and take notice. When they see the value of their precious houses tumbling, then maybe they'll start to do something about it.

Our respective families have not known any of this was happening until we told them this morning. I feel so ashamed.

So that's why my location shows "who really cares?". Thanks for reading.

2. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi mickrick,having just read your post i can only offer you my spoken word support,that is just outragous behavior,an ak 47 springs to mind and a bunch of kneecaps,i hope you get things sorted real soon for the sake of your wife and family.good luck mate.
    ian
    p.s i hope your son is ok,did you report the assult ?

3. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Move out to the country... best thing I ever did..

Sell up cheap , start the decline and laugh at the neighbours panic.... ,,l,,

4. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I really feel sorry for your situation. An elderly neighbour who lives opposite me was a victim of constant harassment shouting, egging by local kids because she told them off for causing a nuisance. Funnily enough despite living opposite we never witnessed any bad behaviour just the after affects. It got so bad she decided to move and then as quick as that it stopped. Why? Well our estate was given a kind of ASBO, maps were putt up of the local estate including the shopping area and a notice was served that kids under 16 were not allowed to hang around in groups of more than two, not to harass people particularly shop keepers in any way and a 9pm curfew was introduced.
    Some people didn’t like this particularly the parents who would rather have them out in the street from under there feet. But I have never been so pleased with the councils action. Persistent offenders had there pictures put on to leaflets explaining there name the offence and what they were allowed and not allowed to do these leaflets were delivered to every household with instructions on how to grass them up if they breached there Asbos.
    This was a perfect step in the right direction. Its time the good working decent citizens of this country reclaimed the streets and cast out these good for nothing wastes of air. Viva la revolution!

5. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    This must be awful.

I can only hope that the "publicity" this generates will maybe force the Police to take it more seriously..
    Kids like this seem to be above the law - the lack of punishment for this kind of behaviour just means they will carry on, and meanwhile decent people suffer.

Attacking a 4 year old boy is indefensible, and you have my eternal respect for not reacting.

I really hope this gets sorted out for you, good luck.

Ian.

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    Mickrick,

utter disgust at these kids is what i feel, i really hope your son is better , and i am disgusted that they would throw a can at anyone let alone a 4 year old. Your counciller seems like the cliche slime bag, who doesnt really care but shows support near election time,

go public!! screw everyone else, do what you need to do to protect yoru family.

best of luck and keep us posted!

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    2 things

1. setup your video camera in the bedroom window and record them when thwey are outside your house. (if you haven't got one buy one/borrow or steal one - its your best weapon!! - everone you show a video too of 50 kids outside your house will want to help. but just telling people is not enough.

2. keep a diary of incidents and contact Environmental services.

dont go out and say anything to them again - its counter productive. they will treat it like a laugh and keep coming back.

did you ever play knock door run when you were a kid? ask yourself which houses you loved doing most? thats right the ones that reacted!!! its the same with the kids outside your house. Do the above things and you will have them gone in a months.

i know its not an ideal solution but it will work - you could always try playing jim reeves at full volume and see if that drives them off!!

i wish you luck with it - i know what its like - i've been through it.

Gary

8. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I'd agree with this. The police cannot ignore anything you catch on tape. There is also no parent that can deny what's gone on when it is their kid on the tape. This sort of thing is actively encouraged by the police to help them sort out anti-social behaviour.

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    also - about the video camera - if you had a tape you could give to the reporter person qwho is coming to see you. imagine the power that would have on the local news!

Gary

10. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yup im with garry on this one, set up a camera, prefferably with a timer, if possible use a timelapse DVR. to get good night shots use an IR (Infrared) iluminator.

also get your local MP to get in contact with the police and there technical support dept

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    so, what town do you live in?

12. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The assult was reported, the police have the coke can and say that even if they cannot pull prints off it, the culprit is not to know that. They are going to visit the parents of the kids we know who were there and tell them that if they don't own up to who did it, they will bring every one of them in and fingerprint them. They will also get cautions for harassment. They believe in the "no honour amongst thieves" adage and that when faced with this, they will shop the one who threw the can.

I have bought and installed a cctv camera with sound and have hooked it up to my vcr (which I thought I would never have any use for again), so I will be recording everything that happens from now on. I have also told my parents about this and my wife has told hers. I think I'm going to have to physically restrain my father if he sees one of these animals in the street.

Thanks for your kind support everyone.

13. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    For reasons best known to myself and family, I don't want to say. But it could be any town unfortunately, couldn't it?

14. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Best of luck with it all and keep us posted.

15. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yea im esspecially interested keep us upto speed. if you need any tech help give us a shout

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    Disgraceful

Screw them and go public. Your family come first

These people care more about the monetary value of their homes more for the welfare of your family. Its a case of "I'll leave alone 'cos I don't want it to happen to me"

There's a name for these people that the forum's built in swear word removal system would only delete if I type it