My Living Room Setup

KamSandhu44

Hi all,

Thought I would share my new Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 living room setup. Just had a refurb and took the chance to run all the cables through the walls and ceilings.

All comments are welcome.

The equipment: -

Sony KD75XD9405
Pioneer SC-LX59
Monitor Audio Silver 10s
Monitor Audio Silver Centre
Monitor Audio W12 Sub
Monitor Audio Radius 90
Dali Phantom E60 ceiling speakers
TP-Link TL-SG2424P switch
3 x Ubiquiti AC-PRO
Xbox One
Sky Q
Samsung UBD-K8500
Synology DS214Play + 110j
DrayTek Vigor 2760

The pics (excuse the poor photos).

IMG_20160628_052743.jpg

IMG_20160628_052757.jpg

IMG_20160628_052814.jpg

IMG_20160628_052824.jpg

Excuse the cabling, I am not very tidy.

IMG_20160628_052852.jpg

Thank you for looking.

ahaydock

Very tidy and that sofa looks comfy!

BM08

Looks brilliant, that wall makes the tv look like 55", it's 75" isn't it? Just had a Google and nearly fainted when I saw the price!! Bet it's fantastic though.

KamSandhu44

Looks brilliant, that wall makes the tv look like 55", it's 75" isn't it? Just had a Google and nearly fainted when I saw the price!! Bet it's fantastic though.

Yes it is 75" and it looks tiny on the wall. Without the speakers it looked very empty.

It has a hefty price tag, but well worth the money.

KenM10759

All the pieces are nice and it appears you did the best layout possible for the space.

Consider that you perhaps could move the sofa forward a little bit to gain more space between the listeners and the rear speakers. I think the best money you could spend going forward would be something on the walls. If not acoustic panels, at least something reduce any undesirable sound reflections.

KamSandhu44

All the pieces are nice and it appears you did the best layout possible for the space.

Consider that you perhaps could move the sofa forward a little bit to gain more space between the listeners and the rear speakers. I think the best money you could spend going forward would be something on the walls. If not acoustic panels, at least something reduce any undesirable sound reflections.

That would be ideal, but don't think the wife would go for that.

Have to try to keep everyone happy.

KenM10759

I don't know what is available where you live, but here in the US we can get acoustic wall panels that have on the surface beautiful photos or other type of artwork, or any image you wish to supply.

They aren't the cheapest form of control but do enjoy a very high-level Wife Approval Factor.

Silverblack

Very clean setup nice!!

devise94

Great thread, I'm just about to finish my setup in the next few weeks with a very similar shaped room. Just a quick question for you. How do you find the atmos experience in your setup? I see you have 4 heights but the rears aren't behind the listening position due to sofa next to wall. Does this make any difference in your setup? I'm about to have the same issue in mine...

purextc69

Nice setup! I have the same AVR as you. How do you find it? I think it is brilliant for the money...

Also, how are you finding the Silvers? I tried them on this Amp and they were way too bright for me... I ended up going for the Golds. My thread is a few down if you wanna take a peak. :D

Oh and your cabling really isnt that bad ;).

KamSandhu44

Great thread, I'm just about to finish my setup in the next few weeks with a very similar shaped room. Just a quick question for you. How do you find the atmos experience in your setup? I see you have 4 heights but the rears aren't behind the listening position due to sofa next to wall. Does this make any difference in your setup? I'm about to have the same issue in mine...

To me, the Atmos experience in my setup is fantastic. I absolutely love it.

No issue with the rear speaker placement.

KamSandhu44

Nice setup! I have the same AVR as you. How do you find it? I think it is brilliant for the money...

Also, how are you finding the Silvers? I tried them on this Amp and they were way too bright for me... I ended up going for the Golds. My thread is a few down if you wanna take a peak. :D

Oh and your cabling really isnt that bad ;).

The avr is great, I love the sound with the silver.

I had to adjust the x curve to reduce the brightness.

I love the audio upscaling too.

KJBear

Novice Member
Very nice set up, thanks for posting. I have a similar room layout with the couch being on the wall but I have a lot of width so my side surrounds are not as close to the couch. Are you still happy with the separation and the four atmos speakers? I am contemplating 2 vs 4 in ceiling atmos because I can't get the top rear atmos behind the MLP. Do you have the atmos speakers set as top front and top middle? or front height/rear height in the receiver?

Are your front atmos at a 45 degree angle to the MLP or did you place them further due to the top rear behind overhead? Thanks for the help!

KamSandhu44

Very nice set up, thanks for posting. I have a similar room layout with the couch being on the wall but I have a lot of width so my side surrounds are not as close to the couch. Are you still happy with the separation and the four atmos speakers? I am contemplating 2 vs 4 in ceiling atmos because I can't get the top rear atmos behind the MLP. Do you have the atmos speakers set as top front and top middle? or front height/rear height in the receiver?

Are your front atmos at a 45 degree angle to the MLP or did you place them further due to the top rear behind overhead? Thanks for the help!

Hi, I am very happy with the sound seperation, the Atmos sound is breath taking.

I have the Atmos speakers setup the way they should be, i.e top front and top rear. The Atmos speakers point directly down, I have not angled them (don't know if they should be).

KJBear

Novice Member
Thanks. I think I will try the four as well even though two will be over head. When I was asking about the 45 degree I didn’t mean the actual speaker being tilted, sorry, I was referring to how far forward the top fronts are from the main listening position. Dobly recommends they be 35-45 degrees forward of the listening position. Do you recall the distance you placed the top front speakers from the sitting position on the couch?

muntos

Hi, I am very happy with the sound seperation, the Atmos sound is breath taking.

I have the Atmos speakers setup the way they should be, i.e top front and top rear. The Atmos speakers point directly down, I have not angled them (don't know if they should be).

Hi, how close the rear in-ceiling speakers are from the back wall ? They seem quite close, do you have any problems with the sound bouncing to the rear wall ?
I have a similar setup as yours, with the sofa behind the wall, and I'm thinking what distance from the wall to install the speakers...

KamSandhu44

Thanks. I think I will try the four as well even though two will be over head. When I was asking about the 45 degree I didn’t mean the actual speaker being tilted, sorry, I was referring to how far forward the top fronts are from the main listening position. Dobly recommends they be 35-45 degrees forward of the listening position. Do you recall the distance you placed the top front speakers from the sitting position on the couch?

I can't remember the exact distance, must be around 2m, it works very well. I am happy with it.

KamSandhu44

Hi, how close the rear in-ceiling speakers are from the back wall ? They seem quite close, do you have any problems with the sound bouncing to the rear wall ?
I have a similar setup as yours, with the sofa behind the wall, and I'm thinking what distance from the wall to install the speakers...

They're inches from the wall, cant say I've noticed any sound bouncing issues? How would you tell?

muntos

They're inches from the wall, cant say I've noticed any sound bouncing issues? How would you tell?
Well, I have no idea, browsing through forum topics I've heard this "sound bouncing" expression :)).
But I guess, as long you didn't noticed anything strange with your sound, that you don't have any issues with the speakers so close to the back wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom