1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My living / cinema room

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by MacReady, Mar 30, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The Room

We totally gutted our living room at the start of 2005 as we were having an open real flame fire ripped out and a more subtle flush fit gas one fitted. The work was also carried out with the intention of replacing almost all my outdated av kit with new stuff as I have been nagging about getting a projector for a while without much luck. My wife knew I wanted to install it properly so this was the ideal time to do the work whilst the rest of the room was being ripped apart. We also wanted the room to look cleaner so wanted to hide as much cabling as possible. Almost all the cables now run in individual shielded conduits (power, audio & video) behind removable sections of skirting board. It took two days just to get all the cables in place! We also had an extra ten power sockets added into the skirting boards behind where the AV kit would be and where the computer desk was going so I wouldn't have to use extensions anymore. All the speaker terminal connections were bought from B&Q and are great for the price.

What Next?

The only things I kept from my old setup when the work was complete was the TV, Laserdisc player and the 5.1 speakers (which I added an extra pair of bipoles to for the 6.1 setup), but I do intend to keep as up to date as possible from now on (budget permitting)

I was considering changing my sub but am undecided as to what to go for.I have managed to isolate the Paradigm sub a bit more by using a polished granite slab sat on rubber feet and then the Paradigm sub sat on top of that. It does sound a lot tighter now and with a lot less boominess! I have also swapped my old 40" Toshiba RPTV for a new 52" Toshiba DLP HD Ready set.

The room is now pretty much how we have always wanted it. It is not the most expensive or lavish home cinema set up but my Wife and I love it. I have made some mistakes this time though, the biggest not doing any forward thinking and installing all the video cables I could possibly ever need for the projector. I am now having to think about getting an Hdmi/Dvi cable from the back of the amp to the projector which will involve me removing all the floorboards in our bedroom. I have also bought all the JS Tech boxes I need along with extra inter connects so that all sources are routed through the Yamaha receiver via YUV and can be output on either the TV or the projector. I have decided though that it will be easier to just get a new amp that can handle all the various componants and upconvert them to a digital output.

I would also like to do more with the lighting in the room. I have a couple of twin bulb light fixtures from Ikea that are behind the AV unit and also there are some Ikea Trettion led strips behind the speakers that look great when the screen is down and a movie or game is on. The bulbs behind are OK but tend to give out too much light when watching a movie on the projector. I would like to add a more controllable lighting system at some point.

The Pictures

All of the pictures have now been updated. I have also added pictures of how the room looked before, during and after the work was done.

Movie Memorabelia

No pics here at the moment but plenty in this thread. I love movie accurate figures and would love to be able to afford some of the excellent polystone statues that are available, but until I am rich enough I will settle with the cheap 12" figures. I had the McFarlane Alien and Predator ones in the room but they were always falling over so they have now been put back in their boxes. I have an 18" Mezco Hellboy which is superb and very lifelike. I have also just started collecting the Kotobukiya Star Wars figures and these are absolutely amazing. At the moment I have five of these figures - Darth vader, Ep III Clone Trooper, Yoda, Boba Fett and Stormotrooper. I have thought about getting a nice glass display case for these to go into but am a little worried about reflections from it on the screen.

EquipmentUpdated

Yamaha RXV-V650 Receiver (used for all audio/video routing)
    Pioneer DV-575A DVD Player
    Sanyo PLV-Z3 Projector Now replaced with Sanyo PLV-Z5! New pictures soon!
    Vogels PJ ceiling mount with 30cm extension
    DRH Manual 231x130 screen
    Toshiba 52WM48 52" DLP HD ready TV
    Pioneer CLD 925 Laserdisc Player
    Yamaha APD-1 RF Demodulator
    JS Technology 1 to 2 Component Buffer
    JS Technology RGB to YUV Converter
    XBox 360 Premium
    XBox 360 HD DVD Drive
    Nintendo Wii
    Pace V2 Sky+
    Eltax Chroma S1 Front L/R floorstanders
    Eltax Chroma S1 Centre
    Eltax Chroma rear bipole x4 ( S1 at rear and S2 at sides )
    Paradigm PDR 10 Subwoofer
    Ixos, Monster & QED interconnects
    QED Qontor ultra flat speaker cable
    Ixos 603 speaker cable
    Phillips Pronto RU940 Remote Control

-----------------------------------
    Pictures of the living room before work started

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the work.

[​IMG]

Making channels in the walls for audio and video cables

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Vogels projector mount...

[​IMG]

...and the Z2's first fitting and trial

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skirting board fitted with individual trunking behind to run audio, video and power and then connections plates fitted on the boards themselves

[​IMG]

The end result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some pictures of the 360 and SD DVD movies on the Z3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 11 year old son stood next to the DRH 231x130 screen for scale

[​IMG]

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Very nice indeed, you must be really happy with the way that it's turned out. :thumbsup:

A couple of questions if I may:
    Is that the centre speaker in the top centre section of the cabinet?

and
    Are you planning on hiding the rear speaker cables?
    If I could pick anything that let the whole thing down it's that those cables seem a bit out of place in an otherwise very discreet arrangement. :)

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks. I am really happy with it yes.Is that the centre speaker in the top centre section of the cabinet? It is.Are you planning on hiding the rear speaker cables?That is the one thing that bugs me too. I didn't want to plaster the speaker cable into the wall but I have some thin plastic channeling that I am going to cover in the same wallpaper thatw e used and then run the speaker cable in that so it blends into the walls a bit better than it does now.

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Updated with a few better pictures.

5. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    great looking setup you have there cleric, one i am hoping to emulate over the next 12/18 months. can i asked how you have connected your sky+, xbox and ps2 to the yammy receiver?

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108

The Sky+ is connected to the Yammy via an Ixos S-Video interconnect and the XBox is via an MS Hi-Def pack. I only use the PS2 in the bedroom so havn't bothered connecting it in the living room.

7. sime

sime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :thumbsup: i need your home cinema setup :)
    i am moving house in a couple of weeks and if i can achieve something like your setup i will be doing back flips to my local blockbuster video shop everyday.......
    i too am in the process of buying my first projector and am hoping to be able to connect my xbox via the hd mode ......................

thanks for the link i hope mine looks this good it was a pleasure to view :smashin:

8. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The room looks great . Not only have you a beautiful home cinema but also your pc setup blends nicely into it too. A great use of space.
    I love the small touches like the draped material on the table, and who needs expensive lighting when the daylight will do the job beautifully.

9. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Very nicely done.

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thank You very much for the kind comments :)

I am still trying to get some better pictures and as soon as I do I will update the ones here.

11. neil w

neil w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    wher did you get your kotobukiya stuff
    ive got the dark horse predator and alien
    and a full size gremlin from kaiyodo ( reportedly fron original moulds)

very nice , neat ,and clean set up

neil

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The Koto figures are from Starsigners. Here is a link to their Ebay shop

Starsigners

13. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Added a few new pictures now I have started to get used to using the new camera ;)

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Updated with pics of new Tosh 52" DLP tv, Sanyo Z3 projector and XBox 360 :thumbsup:

15. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    An outstanding looking set up there MacReady and a very neat and tidy home cinema room :smashin:

I can't wait to get a projector myself :thumbsup:

16. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Macready

i am jealous, i want a new projector and a new big screen!! wow!!

17. CFS

CFS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Very nice MacReady, do you have any info on those blue lights you could pass on? Thanks!

18. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108

The lights are led strips from Ikea and they are called Trettion. You can get them in blue, green and white and they are £21 for four strips along with the cables and power plug.

19. CFS

CFS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Ah yes, just found them on their website. Looks like i'm off to the North Circular next weekend then!

Thanks!

20. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That looks amazing mate , i bet you're chuffed to bits with it!

21. wawr

wawr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wow fantastic home cinema... can i ask about your screen, where did you get it & how much did it cost?? im looking for a 7ft screen to go with my sanyo Z2..not happy with the 1 i have now.. id love 1 like you have...

22. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    wawr, the screen is from DRH Screens and is a 231x130cm manual pull down. It cost £178.

23. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    MacReady,

Nice set up fella and looks well laid out. I see you now have a Z3 what happened with your Z2 in the end?

eatstatic

24. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Have a look at this thread .

I found out that the problem with the progressive image drop out on the Z2 was down to the JS Tech RGB to YUV box and a problem it has with some Pioneer DVD playersand how they output the progressive image. JS were very kind to offer to upgrade the box for a small shipping charge only but I am moving up to a new amp with HDMI upconversion soon so the JS boxes will no longer be needed.

25. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    To get your wires through simply ties some sring to an existing wire, pull the wire theorugh (makinh sure the string doesn't go with it) and then also tie your other cable to the string, and then pull back through!

Hope that helps! My friend and I have just done his loungem and just out a few bits of string with the wires, for this reason!

Other than that, cracking set up!

26. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Trust you got a good deal then. Did you get the Z3 with the spare bulb deal and all that or was it another pixmania buy.

Cant tell from the photo's but are you using filters with the Z3?

eatstatic

27. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The Z3 was another Pixmania buy as the deal with the bulbs was no longer available:thumbsdow

I am not using the filters at the moment but I have read through most of the thread started by Rone about it and am eager to get some and try them with some of the settings listed (allthough I am not using a HD source at the moment other than the 360).

Do you know who I can buy the filters from as I think the person who was selling them no longer is on these forums.

28. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks mate:thumbsup:

I had said to a friend that I would have to tie something to the new cable to pull them through.

I actually only need to feed an HDMI cable through to the projector now but the sheer cost of the legth of cable I will need (20...possibly 25m :eek: ) is what is stopping me getting on with it.

29. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    MacReady,

There was or is a post on the forums somewhere (the lcd/dlp projector section I think) which wasn't to long ago that had a supplier link to filters including the Lee Filters which sainthalo had been selling (not sure what he's up to now that he is banned from the forums). I cant find it at the moment but I did print out a page with relevant contact info for the Lee Filters which I could get to you should you wish.

As for the benifits of using Rone's settings with the filters in place you will benifit form having them even without running HD source. Contrast being one of the main areas of improvement in my view.

Soon to do some work on calibratibrating myself again over the holiday now that I have time as I am only just approaching the 100hrs mark.

eatstatic.

30. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108

Thanks for that:thumbsup: I am eager to try and get the best out of the projector and would really like ot get my hands on the filters to give them a try. I have saved a couple of settings down but have been doing some searching on here and over on AVS to see what everyone judges as being about the best with and without the filters.

I will do a search on here to see if I can find out the details for the filters though.