1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Little trip to "Currys"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Member 55145, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Hi peoples, new to the forum and just thought id tell you my story.

Last night I went to currys to try and buy the 42" Panny Viera.

Sales assistant sat me down as i'd have to get it on credit

Total cost of TV is £2999 (With Cabinet)

Now here is where the money making comes in

They insisted that I should buy their warranty to cover the product for 5 years at an aditional cost of £699, I refused saying I did not want it..... she went on with all her blah blah about if it breaks il have a broken TV and still have to make the payments, after 20 mins it was clear to her that I DID NOT WANT the extended warranty and she turned around and said, well i'l have to get one of my collegues to come along and try to convince you or my manager will be angry.

So the guy comes along and insists that I buy the warranty, he even said he will knock down the price from 699 to 499 (the 2 yr equivelant warranty) AND knock off the £100 delivery charge, and reminded me if it breaks a day after I buy it im stuck with it. :nono:

I insisted I did not want the warranty as I have home contents accidental damage insurance with my bank.... they went on "oh but that doesnt cover items like these, only ours does" blah blah. :boring:

Anyway they eventually settled that I did not want it. :suicide:

then we moved on to Payment protection..... they knew they were wasting their time so didnt bother lol (Little tip for the people who dont know, NEVER buy payment protection, waste of money, if you cant afford the payments at some point, ring and tell the finance company, they have to accept anything you can afford, they will say they cant accept it but its bull)

finally we get to the option of delivery method, I wanted instore pickup as I didnt want there previously quoted £100+ delivery charge..... alot of umming and arring ..... quick call to the manager, "ok you can pick it up instore but you cant lay the screen flat, it has a special tilt chip that turns red if it has been laid down so if you get your screen home and the chip is red you cant bring it back" (Total BS lol) so I said, ok can I test it instore before I take it away? "oh no, sorry you cant test products in store" so I asked, how do I know you guys havent tilted it/damaged it? "oh thats just a gamble you'll have to take" yea right with a 3 grand tv? im sure :rotfl:

anyway I said ok deliver it how much does it cost? they look on the screen.... oh delivery is 1p and we even deliver on saturdays.... still 1p? yup... so much for the £100 saving...

needless to say after all that my credit score killed me and I was declined, still good fun to tease them, nevertheless im sure currys hate me now lol

so just to recap for customers

1. any product purchased must be defect free for 28 days this is your statutory right, but if you damage it it does not apply

2. no plasma tv... that im aware of has a tilt chip inside.... even if it did I dont see the point as most can be hung anywhere (Ever see the ad with the plasma at the top of the four poster bed? think it was phil or panny)

3.dont buy extended warrantys, talk to your bank they can give you accidental damage on all items in your house for about a tenner a month (Check price on individual items tho)

4.dont buy PPI, its useless even if you do get it companies try to wiggle out of coffing up, your best off just going without and putting up with the hassle of telling them you can only afford x amount a month cause you lost your job at maccy d's

5. always buy online, damn site cheaper (Except this case due to the included stand and free delivery) and you can return it within 7 WORKING days from when its delivered for any reason, you have longer if its "not what it says on the tin" or sub-par for its price

hope this was insightful to people tho I doubt few read all of it. just an experiance to share, feel free to share yours

Jago :hiya:

EDIT: oh yea and 6. Sales people are lieing scumbags lol

2. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    A good idea is to take the warrenty.

yes, take the warrenty.

They'll more than likely drop the price of the goods rather than the warrenty, and you can return the warrenty the next day for a total refund :)

(never tried this myself, but heard its been done).

3. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only time I ever bought a warranty was for my rear PJ TV about 6 years ago.

5 year warranty was £300, but I convinced the manager I would buy the warrantly if he knocked £200 off the TV - so he did. I got the £2k TV for £2100 with 5 year warranty.

He got to sell his TV for within his profit margin and a nice fat commision for the warranty sale.

Best bit is - it was a cashback warranty, if you did'nt claim on it, you got the full warranty price back at the end of the 5 years - ch..ching. ( cashed it up last Chrimbo ).

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    should have walked out and ordered cheaper online than instore...........£2,800 ish (finance available) and thats not shopping around alot.....no messing or pressure selling.....

5. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Never heard of a tilt "chip" but what they were on about was probably the "Tilt-Tell" thing that you often get on the plasma box - mine was a large blue arrow, and if the box is tilted flat it turns (and stays) red.

Carefully placing the plasma down flat or even hanging on the cieling is not a problem its just that they should always be transported upright otherwise the glass can crack due to flexing.

6. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've seen it on line for 2599 can't remember were it shows up in google though, and enl in nottingham have it for 2799.

7. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    By the way. I sold the 42" Viera at my comet store on sunday, £2500 with the stand, 3 yrs of cover was £300, and delivery was £20.

My customer was happy. :)

8. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    This is exactly the reason why I bought my 42" Viera from John Lewis, great and knowledgable customer sevice and a 5 year warranty included in the price!

9. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Scumbag ;)

10. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I make it a point to NEVER!! buy from Currys now. I used to but found their aftersales support the absolute pits. The last time I was in one of their stores (apart from general browsing) resulted in me telling them to keep our faulty Microwave and that we would be taking our buisness elswhere. I might ad those were not my exact words :laugh:

Last time they got pushy on an extended warrenty, I initialy politely declined. When they ignored this I informed them that one more mention of the word 'warrenty' would result in a lost sale. Guess what..... They never mentioned it again :D

11. JustinP

JustinP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the same rubbish about warranties from Comet when I bout my LG back in November they said that no contents insurance covered plasmas

This weekend I called my contents insurance to add my new watch at the same time I asked her if my plasma was covered against accidents, she replied yes, why wouldn’t it be. I’m insured with Nation Wide, at a cost of £16 a month, with includes accidents. The insurance pays out without any problems, I recently scratched my laptop screen (WUXGA) and it cost £460.00 for a new screen, they paid out in less than a week.

Cheers

JustinP

12. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That isn't the same as Comets, JL doesn't cover accidental damage.

13. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone told me recently that plasma's may be excluded from home insurance if they're wall mounted as it's considered an even greater risk (particularly if the wall mount was installed by the owner rather than professionals).

Not sure if this is true, but for those of us relying on contents insurance for our plasmas (Extended Warranties are indeed over-priced and for the most part bad VFM - almost as much for plasmas as they are for PCs), might be worth checking with those insurance companies...

14. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding damage and faults. Most people get extended warrenties on plasma screens because it's newish technology, expensive, and a fault with the panel (not the electronics) is likely to cost most of the replacement cost. Obviously if you have accidental damage cover on your contents insurance then your okay for ... accidents. There could always be the case that when your 13 month old plasma fizzes, pops and goes off that you are so angry that you help it fall off the wall, but that's a different arguement.

15. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    SAle of goods act says goods shoul dbe of reasonabl quality and last up to 5 years.

Does depend on what you buy, but legaly a vendors responsibility for a product does NOT end after the warrenty.

test case recently a man got a full refund on a 4 year old CD player beacuse he paid a reasonable sum fore it (£130 or so) as opposed to a £20 cheapie.

16. drmih

drmih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on whether you are in a position to persue it through the courts. It may have been a test case but it didn't set a precident as I remember.

17. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    intersting folks. I didn't take the extended warranty, because If anything goes wrong with my screen I will take it to a shop to get fixed. that could be risky though as I have very slippy floors in the house.
    Make sure your contents insurance covers you for your screen and that your insured for single items up to a certain limit (i.e. your plasma cost). :thumbsup:

18. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,416
    Home contents insurance does though...

19. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    The only time I took a Currys warranty, was on a TV where the salesman was so desperate I take the warranty, he discounted the TV by the cost of the warranty price, effectively making it free! This was long before internet shopping was around, so maybe the margins were that much more at the time.

Jonathan

20. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Surely if something goes wrong with your plasma, and no warrenty
    a small accident like you knocking it over, would solve any problems.

PS, Currys/Comet/Dixons rarely sell items that have less that 100% profit margin

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    err no they dont.............very few items are 100% markup....

22. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yea rob I heard that too, but I was reffering to being able to take it back to the store you bought it from, you can do that within 30 days and they HAVE to give you a refund or replacement.

there is a list that had been compiled that stated how long goods should last without fault, 5 years for a washing machine, 8 years a frige something like that, and if they fail before that by law your allowed to get your FULL refund back

Edit: oh yea and and my insurance was with Barclays its £13 a month and covers any item upto £5000 from accidental damage, so if my nice new tv had a pixel pop in an annoying place and i was to storm out and slap my door so hard that it fell over and broke... well hey :rotfl:

23. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That would be a bugger of a time to find out your Plasma is excluded on the insurance becouse you hung it on the wall :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

24. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Wouldn't mind betting the Warranty is though....

25. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most household policies have a fixed single item limit for accidental damage ie £1500. Provide details of specific items over this fixed limit to ensure they are fully covered. Cameras, jewelery, camera etc. This can usually be provided at no extra cost.

Old for new is OK but as technology progresses you will get a replacement equivalent (spec size etc) but not the value of the original purchase, years later.

26. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    100 effing percent! Way way off the mark. Didn't work for any of the above retailers but i can tell you that if i was making that kind of margin in my last job selling these screens then i would not have been made redundant at the end of October last year!!! :mad:

27. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The margin on plasmas is very small at Comet. And I mean, extremely small. Soemthing like 17%

28. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489

heh id love to hang it on the wall, but a bracket that is made by the TV manufacturer costs a fortune, so it has what it comes with..... droool sweet Viera

29. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Monster SCART, Warrenty, etc