My little home theater

brad1138

Novice Member
Reaction score
The product of 20+ years of upgrading this and that, nearly everything off the used market. Except for TV and Emotiva PrePro.

Just added the curtains, adds a nice touch I think.

20161112_220402_zpswr6nxw4l.jpg

20160917_215857s_zpsyund346q.jpg

Last edited:
Looks rubbish. Would hate to have a room like that!!'

Haha great work mate.

That room is crying out for a pj setup [emoji106]

That is the reason I just added the black out curtains :) . The next and more or less final step in the evolution of my system (something I have been working over 20 years on) is a 125 inch Elite Screens Spectrum Tab-Tension, motorized screen. It will come down right in front of my 70" Vizio, stopping just above center channel and a Sony HW45ES projector. It will be mostly used for movies, I'll keep using the 70" for everything else, to keep wear and tear down on the projector. I may pull that off before Christmas, if funds work out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
That's a lot of stuff in the rack, what does it all do?

From the top down, the components are:

Dell laptop as lossless music server (not pictured-on top of rack)
Acurus LS-11 analog stereo preamp
Emotiva UMC-200 PrePro (HDMI)
DIY Auxiliary power switch and fan switch (blue light-actually red now, blue was annoying bright) built into metal rack spacer
PS3
PS4
XBOX1
Onkyo DV-CP702 6 disc DVD changer as CD transport
Schiit Modi Multibit DAC for both Onkyo and Dell(not pictured-small and tucked in just below PrePro)
Citation 5.1 amp, bridged to dual mono mode, supplying over 400 WPC to Mains (at 6 ohm)
Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 amp, 5 channels running center and 4 surrounds, 100 WPC @ 8 ohm.
2x Velodyne ULD series II amps (400 watts each)
2x ADCOM ACE-515 AC enhancers/line conditioners
Comcast HD Box, used solely to stream Game Of Thrones (Get HBO for free with internet package)
Dish Hopper3
20 amp rack mount "outlet strip" hooked to designated 20 amp wall outlet I installed.
3 rack mount 12 volt triggered 120V outlets to help with automated triggers for system (way too long and boring to explain why those were needed)

Speakers:
Mains - Mirage M3si
Center - Mirage MCsi
Surrounds - BIC V52
Subs - Velodyne ULD 15 servo subs

( I don't qualify for a "signature" yet, or a lot of that stuff would be listed there...)

I think most everything is self evident as to what it does, accept probably the Acurus. That is a bit of an experiment. I like the Emotiva PrePro a lot, but for listening to music, not as big of a fan of its digital volume control, and I really don't like the push button vol up/down. Originally I was going to go with a tube preamp (and may still) but I found a good deal on the Acurus. The Main speaker out from the Emotiva, passes through the Acurus on one of its inputs and the Schiit DAC is hooked to the CD input. The Acurus has no "12v trigger out" which is what the DIY auxiliary switch is for, so I don't need to power up the Emovita to fire up the whole rack to listen to CDs.

The Acurus solves another problem, and maybe the best benefit of it. When listening to just stereo music, I don't use the subs. The Emotiva has no way to turn off the sub out and/or change the crossover points on a per input basis. With Acurus, I don't have to worry about that.

I had a few people in a different forum telling me how stupid the Acurus setup was, but it works well for me. (and I think it looks kind of cool)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom