Answered My LG E7 is 'losing' HDMI inputs :(

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by goonergaz, Aug 20, 2018.

1. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      I will try to keep a long story short!

Ok, so a bit of a stressful time Sunday. Sky (HMDI 1) had been 'blinking' for a few days (very int, no pattern - literally screen goes blank for a second then comes back) - I suspected the sky box, so switched the inputs for my Sky and PS4.

Sky was then fine, on the PS4 input for a good 30mins so I thought I'd test my PS4 on input 1 to confirm the issue. I couldn't get the PS4 to work at all which was worrying (after all sky had been fine just occasional blinking). A safe-mode boot of PS4 got a very fuzzy menu but whenever I rebooted I lost signal - I tried a few tips on the web with no joy.

I switched back inputs and the PS4 was fine and sky was not working at all - so HDMI 1 was 'dead'.

I then thought I'd try the other inputs...and it seems HDMI 2 is also dead.

At this point I had to get on with other stuff so I've left it with the thought of ripping out all the cables (it is a bit of a mess) - ensuring all cables are 4k compatible (and not cheap nasty ones). And resetting the TV...I will do that tonight.

In the meantime I'm open to suggestions. FYI the TV is 6 months old and I purchased with the Currys care plan...but I don't really want to lose the TV for 7 days and hope it's returned in as pristine condition as it is now!

2. Best Answer:
      Post #4 by Joe Fernand, Aug 20, 2018 (1 points)
    3. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +916
      Your symptoms sound more like your HDMI cables are struggling to maintain sync. You haven't said if you are using Sky Q, but the first thing I would be inclined to try would be dropping the resolution to a maximum of 1080i or 1080p.

If that stays stable, then look at swapping your HDMI cables. Normally I wouldn't necessarily suggest going for the Premium certified cables, as there are plenty out there that can do 4K and are not certified, but this should guarantee the cables you are using will support the full bandwidth you need. You shouldn't need to pay much more than normal for these. The last one I bought was for my Apple TV 4K, which was giving me sparkles on my picture. It was one of these: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073PWKNNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

4. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      Cheers and yes, it's Sky Q. I do have a few 4K cables - in fact the Xbox One X cable (I'm pretty sure) is the 4K one that was supplied...and yesterday that wasn't working in HDMI 1. I also tried the switch on HDMI 1 with no joy (as well as dropping the PS4 to 720p).

I will try again though, like I said - the cables are a bit of a mess so I will double check.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
      Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,568
      Best Answer
      Simplify your system to only one Source direct to the HDMI Input on the TV - run that for a while and if no symptoms move the Source over to each Input and repeat.

Assuming that works try connecting a second Source direct to the TV and see if that works.

Aim for as few variables as possible when trying to fault find.

Joe

6. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
    7. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
    8. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +916
    9. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      lol, it's a minefield!

I couldn't see an alternative so I've ordered them, at least if they don't work I can send them back.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    10. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      lol, TV now working fine...maybe it was just having a funny 5 minutes :S

11. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      ergh, so I went to play Battlefront 2 on the Xbox One X last night and all was fine until I started playing a game.

So, this is HDMI 1 - the one that started playing up first...and this is what I found through some research;

• The console was fine until the splash screen of Battlefront 2 came up...then went blank (no input)
      • The leads I ordered (link) had arrived, so I tried swapping - no change
      • I rebooted everything and the Xbox was working - launched the game, same issue
      • I rebooted Xbox and menu came up - tried another game (RDR as it was not a fully fledged XBO game) - worked fine
      • Tried another XBO game (Tomb Raider) - same issue, got into the menu, started the game - got the splash screen then went blank, begin to suspect HDR issue
      • Checked Xbox settings, all seemed fine and TV was reporting fine/compatible/able to do everything it should
      • Went into TV menu - selected the HDR open (switched off and on again) and the picture came up - seems to be fine
      • Changed back to Battlefront 2 and same thing - splash screen then blank...at this point I'm pretty certain it's a HDR thing
      • Went back into TV menu and switched the HDR switch off and on again - all fine, got an hour or so gaming in (while I could)

Not tried today but I'm assuming the same issue and will likely have to manually do this with games that have an issue.

Any ideas?

12. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +916
      The cable that came with your One X should be fully compatible with 4K HDR. That should be your reference point.

13. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      That was what I was using when the issue started last night. I could try putting it back on and ensuring the TV HDR is set to on and go from there.

BTW - this is an E7, not E8 (if that makes a difference)

14. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +852
      If nothings changed in your setup, and the cables are fine, it might be the same as my c6 had a few months ago one of the ports totally died, all i could get was the no input screensaver.

Turned out to be a faulty PCB, which I had to get LG to replace. TV now working fine :)

15. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      Cheers - did they come out and fix it? It's still the same...HDMI 1 (Xbox) stops working when HDR kicks in - I have to go into the menu, unselect HDR the reselect to get it working. Really odd...might be just a fireware update fixes it?

What was weird was last night Netflix didn't work - I had to go into the apps section and launch it from there. Maybe I should try a factory rest next...

16. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +852
      They collected it, repaired it and then shipped it back. They only give a 1 year warranty, so I had to pay well over the odds to get it done.

They also messed up with the return, so I had no notification of when it was coming back, plus they then had to send an engineer AFTER I'd received it back, because they didn't put the back panel back correctly lol.

But they did at least fix it and return it in one piece....which I'm not so sure the curry's knowhow team would have done, considering they only sent a black refuse sack to protect it in the back of the van! (I declined their services at this point).

It sounds now like yours is a different issue though. Sorry, I thought you were saying that the hdmi inputs just didn't work at all, like they always displayed no input.

If it's happening only when the picture mode/signal changes, that's more likely a hdmi handshake issue? (could be due to some incompatibility with the connected device, or would be remedied by changing some of the devices settings maybe?

The Netflix issue could also be software related. Try deleting the app and then reinstalling it.

Things you can try before going through the costly repair route, are factory reset, and also try leaving it unplugged from the wall socket for around 10 minutes or so?

But the picture only cutting out when it switches to hdr does sound more like a handshake thing, so most likely either due to the device, or the cables.

17. goonergaz

goonergaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      Cheers, I could put the switch on that input as it's the least taxing device. But like I said, a factory reset seems the next logical course of action.

I took out the Currys cover, if I take it in for repair I will be taking pictures of the condition - also, they have 7 days/3 attempts to fix or they will replace...but I'd rather it never leave my house!!

I do recall my old LG TV had a power issue, nothing I did fixed it until I took the back off, re-seated the boards and put it all back together and it never went wrong again...weird!

18. RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +167
      Bought a 4K TV the other day. I went through 5 cables here this week, 3 of them were in my wall, they were working fine with my 1080p TV but was getting "No signal" and when it did work I was getting white sparklies.

I ended up buy Amazon Basics High Speed cables and they work perfectly. Was £8 for 2x 3m cables.

*Edit*
      These are the ones that worked perfectly for me if anyone is interested as they seem to do a few models.
      I must say every Amazon Basic cable I have bought seem to be really good quality, although not flashy looking they are well made and seem to function correctly:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014I8T4MO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018