My LG 32LH4010 makes a humming sound. Anyone else have one?

marco772

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an LG 32LH4010 from Richer Sounds just before Xmas and was concerned by the low hum that was emitting from the back. It's only audible with the sound off or REALLY quiet, but it's there and I can't hear it in any other sets I've listened to since.

Anyway, I was contacted by a very helpful chap called John Clayton who arranged for me to have it replaced. The guy brought the new set last week and, guess what? It makes exactly the same noise!

Obviously, I'm now thinking this is normal as SURELY the chances of getting two dud tv's must be astronomically small! Right?

I'm loathe to complain in case it IS normal, but I would love to know if anyone else with EXACTLY the same model could have a listen to theirs (it comes from the back where all the leads go in) and tell me if they can hear anything?

When I originally posted, pre Xmas, this model had just become available so I'm hoping a few other people have them now and could check for me?

Like I say, it's a very quiet hum, but, in the dead of night it's quite audible with the sound way down or with headphones on!

It's otherwise a brilliant tv, I just don't understand why it's not near silent like other models?

As it cost, for me, a lot of money, I would just like to get some peace of mind on this as I was so hoping the replacement model would be different!

Thanks

Mark

P.S. It's nothing to do with the backlight. (oops, see next post...)

Last edited:
Aha! Despite my last comment, it turns out that it IS a backlight issue!

Previously I'd turned it up to the 90's and heard no difference and disregarded it as an option. This morning, I tried it again...up to 99% = no difference whatsoever BUT 100% and the humming disappeared!

Now, my next question is, if I leave it on 100% all the time is this going to cause any problems?
I'm not really sure what the backlight does. Obviously, it lights the back! But it doesn't seem to make a huge difference to the picture...

If someone tech savvy could just explain this to me and if it's not uncommon for this to happen (with the hum, I mean) then I can rest easy hopefully!

Thanks
Mark

I've got a similar issue with my LG 32lf7700. It seems to be backlight inverter vibration. I got a replacement from Amazon and it was exactly the same. The backlight seems to be similar to a dimmer light switch, as the light is dimmed the power frequency changes and a vibrating/buzzing noise can be heard.

I also turned my backlight up to 100 and reduced the brightness, and it seems okay, I can still hear the buzz occasionally during v quiet scenes (Tv is in a bedroom so the volume is always quite low). It's something I can live with and my GF can't hear any buzz from the TV (women :rolleyes:)..Personally I can put up with it, with the backlight on 100 it's very rare I hear it, and with the volume up even if it is buzzing I can't hear it unless I'm standing right behind the Tv with my ear fixed to the plastic...Yes I've done it...

Two options really either take the TV back and get a different brand. (Other brands may buzz though,this is the first LCD I've had, my other TV is a Plasma and it don't buzz)..

Or do what I've done and try not to be so anal (can be difficult as the slightest thing annoys me), turn the Backlight up and try to enjoy the TV..

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, I'm VERY anal when it comes to expensive electronics!

Well, if leaving it on 100% does no harm and keeps it quiet then I can live with it! Shame though, it's such a brilliantly designed tv I don't understand why the LG's buzz when other brands don't? It MUST be a design fault and one I'd have thought they could easily fix!

I have mine in the bedroom too and it's a small room so not hard to pick these noises up! my housemate couldn't hear it, but I think his hearing is a little damaged!

It's a little annoying, but I can live with it I guess!

Thanks again
Mark

UPDATE!

Arrrgghh!! The Backlight at 100% proved to be only a temp solution, as I powered off the PS3 several hours later and the tv flicked to the "no signal" screen there was the hum again!

Damn. How annoying...

UPDATE!

Arrrgghh!! The Backlight at 100% proved to be only a temp solution, as I powered off the PS3 several hours later and the tv flicked to the "no signal" screen there was the hum again!

Damn. How annoying...

I have an LG 32LH4010, and no, it does not hum. (I tested this for a fellow AVForums user a few months ago).

Take it back.

Hi,
Yes, that was me again, I believe! This is already my second set! Just to clarify one last time, if you go around the back of yours while it's muted or on the "no signal" screen, so your ear is practically next to the earphone jack, can you not hear a buzzing?

That's the area where I can hear it the clearest.

Thanks again

Mark

Mine makes a slight humming noise when there is no signal being sent to the TV and the backlight is on 100, this fix only seems to work when a signal is received by the TV. It doesn't bother me though as I don't tend to sit staring at a TV that isn't displaying anything.

Well, I don't generally either, but in a small room in a shared house, there are times when you have to have it quiet or have headphones in and those are the times I'm more prone to noticing it.
Putting the backlight to 100 no longer makes any difference even it has a signal going to it.
It's just, for £400 quid, I want to make sure it's all tickety boo as it wasn't an especially light purchase...

Well, I don't generally either, but in a small room in a shared house, there are times when you have to have it quiet or have headphones in and those are the times I'm more prone to noticing it.
Putting the backlight to 100 no longer makes any difference even it has a signal going to it.
It's just, for £400 quid, I want to make sure it's all tickety boo as it wasn't an especially light purchase...
I'll check again tonight when everything is quiet.

I'll make sure to check backlight settings too (I generally use 50) to see if it makes any effect.

I have the same problem with my LG 32LG3000

I have this set for more than 4 years? and always have it at 50% backlight. Only yesterday i started to notice the hummmmmmmmmm... and it is gone when i set the backlight at 100%!

Why now? My audition is not getting better... :\

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom