1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Lcd Is Arriving Friday!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chris210972, Jan 5, 2005.

1. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excuse the excitement but i can't wait.

i ordered a phillips 329986 from empire direct and i've been told its being delivered on friday.

i know this is stupid but i haven't even seen one in the shops i just ordered it based on good magazine reviews, not forgetting this forum.

i currently have a toshiba 36zp48 crt which is amazing but soooooo big in my living room.

i'm gonna wall mount the lcd and buy a denon 1910 div comp dvd player.

i'm not expecting the picure quality to imorove on the tosh set but looking forward to the ambilight and extra living room space.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You're just like I was 4 weeks ago! Mine from Empire too...grand bunch.

You'll be amazed by the PQ. The TV takes a while to 'settle' - the picture improves quite quickly during the first hour or two then continues to improve thereafter. It's maybe just me but now it's a few weeks old the picture is considerably better than it was during the first week. Is this nonsense? Possibly! That's my impression.

Mind you, I've fiddled extensively with the settings during this time, so that will have made a difference too.

It might be an idea to set the TV up on it's pedestal stand until you settle on your connection setups before consigning it to the wall....

Have fun. I'll keep an eye out on the Forum on Friday for your posts!

Jimmy

3. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi jimsan,

thanks for the advice regarding the wall fixing, i'll set it all up first.

i've noticed that u really rate this tv.

hope i'm not dissapointed.

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    What sort of price did you pay?I'm looking for a new LCD.

5. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1985.00 from empire diect
    its 2500.00 in comet and 2999.00 in curry's and jl.

excellent price i thought

6. dan23

dan23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What's the difference between the 9986 and the 9976?

7. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW everytime I go into a store, the 9986 is the only LCD TV that impresses me with the picture showing in store.

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Most significant difference is that the 9976 hasn't got PixelPlus2 (amazing) the Ambilight (Excellent) or the higher price!

Only go for the 9976 if your budget is tight.

Jimmy

9. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll back up jimsan - I've been living with the 37" bigger version of the 9986 for two months and it has transformed my viewing! Watching movies at 576p with Pixel Plus 2 and Ambilight using a Supra DVI-DVI cable from a Denon 1910 has been a joy. It has taken a while to get the settings as I like them, but well worth the effort. I amusing the 9986 on a swivel pedestal stand - on a unit up against the wall (I decided against actual wall mounting)

10. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

chris210972

Hope you enjoy it as much as jimsan likes his!

I am going to order one too, just waiting to see if I can get a JL price match sorted out :rolleyes:

I currently have a Tosh 28" 4:3 - when you play DVDs on it the black bars seem to be bigger than the 56cm diagonal picture :eek:

I also need to update my DVD player - its an original Sammy 709. Not sure whether to go DVI or just get a Pioneer 575 and use Component. So I'd be very interested in how you get on with the Denon. Over on the DVD forum, some people have been getting blockiness with the 1910/2910 models. Personally, I also need a player that'll do +Rs as my Dell laptop only writes plus type DVDs. But there isn't a lot of info about that. Might check out vcdhelp for info on that.

Anyways, good luck with it and let us all know how you get on with the Denon.

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You got a home cinema Alan?

One of the reasons I'm wetting myself over the 9986 is that it has been combined with a complete Home Cinema revamp. Might be worth looking to get a Home Cinema Reciever with a built in Progressive DVD player like the wee Denon DHT500SD. Amazing quality with all bells and whistles for less than £400.

An earlier post in another thread reckoned that the 576p output from a 'conventional' player with the PixelPlus2 running was only marginaly poorer than 720p. Mind you 576p only works properly with 2.35:1 Anamorphic DVD's. You are better resorting to RGB Scart for 1.8:1 DVD's - still looks great though.

...might as well go the whole way, Alan!

Jimmy

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You mean it could look even better :thumbsup:
    I have to say on first impressions it looked good even when it was showing an analogue feed (auto tuning channels).
    Once I had connected my SKY+ and DVD via scart I was gobsmacked, I would have laughed myself silly if 6 months ago someone had told me I would be impressed with a large screen LCD for television viewing.

So far only a few niggles, I don't like the remote and I don't understand why you can not feed a 1366*768 source into the DVI and have the panel display it at it's native resolution, just seems a waste.

Biggest bonus, I've reclaimed my 19" LCD monitor for PC use:)

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The remote is a tad strange. If yours is like mine, when you adjust the volume it only seems to go a little and stop. You have to keep 'blipping' it to keep things moving. It's OK though.....certainly nice and heavy!

I expect that there will be scalers available to adjust 720p up to 768p. 1366 x 768 seems to almost be an industry standard now, so someone will find a way to properly fill the screen at its native resolution,,,,maybe they already have. I'll have a look later.

How is yours set up Starburst? Let us know how your connected and your basic settings...ie. Sharpness, Contrast, Dynamic Contrast, DNR etc. We can all compare notes. (Anoraks)

Jimmy

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    So far I've just tweaked a few settings to compare the scart and dvi feeds, haven't done any serious adjustments of the TV settings yet since I've spent most of my time trying to get my IScan to supply a signal that makes the most of the screens resolution.
    I'll have more time over the weekend and with all the football on (SKY and the BBC) it should give me some good broadcast material to use as a benchmark both on the scart input and DVI.
    You can get spoilt with higher bitrate digital broadcasts and DVD sources:)

15. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i couldn't wait till friday for delivery so i have arranged to collect it from the empire direct warehouse which is less than a mile away.

yahooooo!!!!!!!!

16. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    jimsan, I have a Sony STR-DB930 amp, Monitor Audio Silver speakers + REL sub. I am well happy with the sound part of my system - let's just say I am glad the neighbours are 30 feet away

The Sony amp is only 5.1 and ProLogic 1 - but it was pretty good for the money a few years ago, in fact there is a thread on the Amps forum saying some people prefer these Sony amps to their new Denon 3805, but I think they have just used the auto-setup on the 3805, and amps always sound better after a running-in period too.

I plan to ditch my centre speaker though and use the TV's Centre speaker input for dialogue.

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this Alan. The input is line in, so will only work with amps with 5.1 line outs. Mine won't do it.

Jimmy

18. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jimmy

I'll let you know. My amp has pre-outs, one of which feeds my sub. Ideally, you should use matched speakers - but my Centre sits under my current CRT and is a bit muffled. Am hoping I'll get clearer dialogue this way and save space.

One other thing about this method is that you need to pipe the sound out of the TV to the amp even for normal TV viewing. i.e you never use the TV's speakers normally. Well, I don't mind this because I do this all the time at the moment anyway. This would also mean I would get round the volume stepping bug with the Philips remote :D

19. Camillo

Camillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any results, Alan? I use the center pre-out on my Yamaha amplifier, and I find that the center input is a) noisy b) insensitive. I did manage to get it working fairly well, as I described in another thread.

20. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My 9986 is arriving Tuesday - I'll let you know......