My LaserDisc player broke - ideas?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David Mackenzie, Aug 6, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Well, this is the closest forum I can find for this to go in.

I'd just finished watching a LaserDisc on my Pioneer CLD-2950. And at the end of the second side, the disc just refused to eject. I've tried powering on and off, leaving it for awhile and trying again, but when I press Eject the player either says "EJECT" then goes back to "00:00:00" or "OPEN" then does the same. The drawer is closed the whole time and I can hear no mechanical noise - it's making no attempt to open the disc drawer.

Does anyone have any ideas? The repair store in town looked at me and said "A Laser displayer? ......is it a CD player?" :rotfl:

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    There used to be an issue with some of the Pioneer tray mechanisms becoming misaligned on their track (mine has done it a couple of times) but if it is making no noise at all then I doubt it is that.

This is one of my biggest fears though...repairing or replacing my LD player if it ever breaks...there is hardly anywhere that even knows what they are any more never mind able to repair them !!

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Perhaps if I could get the disc out of the player, it would start working again. Right now I've unscrewed the bit that clamps the disc, but the player is of course designed to be as small as possible so I can't get the disc out after that. Grrr.

4. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    wow laserdisc lol

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I wonder if it is the actual motor that drives the tray that has gone ( I am guessing of course just from the fact that it is not even trying to eject it or make any noise when you press eject)

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    you old timers......

time to pick up a new player I think....cheaper than repair

7. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hey, less of the 'old timers' ;)

Can you still buy new LD players? I would have thought that the likes of Ebay would be the only place to pick them up now :(

And for all you 'youngsters', LD may not always look as good as DVD but they sure as hell could sound better :D

I still use my Blade DTS LD to show just how much better they can be compared to DVD.

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Arrr I'm not an old-timer, I'll have you know I'm a young'un! :D

I've seen the occasional LaserDisc that looks better than the DVD equivalent. Sometimes some really good special features don't get carried over.

Anyway, I guess if I scraped the cash up, I could get a Pioneer Elite player from eBay in America - assuming it was OK with the 1 or 2 PAL discs I have kicking around. Dunno if it'd be worth it for my tiny # of discs.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Comment from someone with 3 laserdisc players.........

I regularly get offered players here on the forum, jut pop an advert in wanted and you will be surprized what pops out of the woodwork.... much simpler than ebay IMHO, NOT VERY EXPENSIVE EITHER NOW

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I have just had a quick look on Ebay and the CLD925 is going for up to £150 on there :eek: I thought they would be much cheaper than that now.

Was more suprised to see how much the RF de modulators are going for though....allthough I did struggle to get one myself even when LD's where still quite popular!!!

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    don't look to ebay, prices are high, cut a deal here a take a few discs, much cheaper....

12. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yes you are so right about the audio on laser, the dts discs (even more so the jap pressed versions) kill anything, as those who attended my event found out, A large dollop of super speedway dts followed by hard target left them gasping :smashin:

Speedbird and I are probably two of the biggest fans left in dear ol' blighty with regards to the 12" disc, just for interest did you know the following;

There were 7 anamorphic laserdiscs produced (they call them squeeze discs),
    can you name the discs anyone?..... come on educational quiz this one

The jap pressed discs have a superior picture and sound the the usa discs in particular the dts and ex discs,

Most of you know 'Phantom menace' as the only EX laser, but in japan there were more (yes,yes Speedbird and I have sadly collected them) can anyone name them.

Chris Frost no cheating here as I remember telling you the titles at the event.

james

ps will bore you with muse discs if you arereally keen 122 guy's

13. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hey, for high-definition MUSE stuff, how was the player connected to the TV? Did the Japanese D-terminal support that?

14. lordfoss1

lordfoss1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How I regret selling off all my 150+ laserdiscs plus the player for a paltry sum.Thinking about the womderful triple gatefold sleeves of "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" from The Criterion Collection and the fantastic Japanese stuff I had makes me want to weep. :( :(

15. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I ve still got my 2950. Had it upgraded to AC3 out and disc tray illumination when I first got it by a company called Videotec based in Oxford. The guys there knew laser disc players inside out! If you have a problem they might still be able to help or even get spares. The number is 01865 245566

16. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I got my Yamaha RF Demod from Videotec :thumbsup:

Crteaman, I can't remember all the squeeze discs that were released but wasn't T2 and Cliffhanger a couple of them?

17. panoplia

panoplia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Laserdiscs are sometimes superior sounding because the ac-3 soundtrack is not compressed on the disc as on dvd's. dts well if you could afford these discs new, wow you had money!!!
    I,m constantly on the look-out for a pioneer hld-x9 or hld-x0 at reasonable money. they always seem to be out of my price range. just make do with my old cld-r5.
    anyone any ideas why the power supply board in a pioneer dvl-909 has packed up, cannot find fault at all, even with a service manual.
    Squeeze / muse discs see http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/
    helpful site but expensive.
    ac-3 demodulators on ebay seem silly prices...why not by a digital processor that has one built-in like pioneer sp-d07, lots cheaper and better.
    carryon laserdiscing...if you aint got one you dont know what your missing

18. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Only ever bought one DTS disc from new and that was Blade. A friend with an LD player begs me on a weekly basis to sell it to him :smashin:

19. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Lyris, I use the Pioneer HLD-X9 which brings both audio and video out of the player via a single co-ax it then has to be converted to component form by being passed through a muse decoder, in my case a sony.

It then outputs at 1050 active lines into my beloved crt, it's all analogue of course and the discs as with any format are variable, but wow I love them, no one interested in my little conundrum above?

james

20. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Macready, yup that's two of em' T2 and Cliffhanger, incidently T2 looks as good as the Hi-def tape also consider this disc had the 'AC3' soundtrack way before it was available on DVD.

The X9 and XO really are amazing pieces of kit, I will try and pop some pics of mine so you can see them or more likely get my buddy 'speedbird' to do this as I am a head muppet with a computer.

When I had my first crt 'event' all of the guy's fell in love with the X9, and thought it was the most amazing/sexy bit of kit they had seen.

james

21. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two HLD-X9, one CLD-315 and one HLD-X0 and soon another HLD-X0 :D
    Many movies I prefer the LD version because of the sound OR the picture. And then we have the movies not out on DVD yet ;)

But as the question in this thread, there are still spare parts for most newer players, just conntact Pioneer about this.

22. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    To bump an old thread, just wanted to say that I finally have a happy ending :D

Found a replacement CLD-2950 in very near mint condition, in my city, for 65 pounds and picked it up from a really friendly guy last night. Bargain!

23. ReelmasterOZ

ReelmasterOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for replying to a very old thread but there was no problem with your machine

I have the same one
    With the machine reading the B side of the disc, if you push eject it cannot possibly release the disc. it's mechanism has moved
    You need to give the machine time to turn itself the right side up.

Once the movie is finished, push stop and wait for the machine to get itself back into the right position (until all noises stop)
    Gently push eject and it will come out no probs

I found this out the hard way when i first got the machine.
    Just wanted to see what each disc I bought looked like so pushed B button to view second side and then pushed stop and immediately eject (being from a VHS background I had no idea)
    of course the machine gets confused as usually when stop is pushed, it goes into turn over mode and stops. With eject being pushed so early, it tries to eject but can't

It may shut off sometimes so just turn it on again and wait for it to work itself out and then eject.