1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Jamo DVR50 is Dead !!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dixiedean, Feb 4, 2005.

1. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

After experiencing constant problems with the DVR50, it has now decided to absolutely nothing!

I switch it off at the mains, wait a while, switch it back on. It then "Powers Up" and with the nice little blue lamp shining decides that it will not respond to any commands from the remote or on the front panel. In effect, I have NO sound at all, as it will not let me select a source.

Any ideas, apart from throwing it in the bin?

And could anyone recommend a suitable replacement ( which doesn't cost too much?).

Please help, cos I am soundless! :mad:

2. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It should still be under guarantee. The unit is covered for 2 years. (Not that it matters as you have 6 years to claim)

Send it back and get them to repair/replace it.

Mines going back for the second time soon.

Chris

3. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just dug the guarantee out, but still a bummer with no system for god knows how long.

Thanx

4. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Where did you buy it from?
    How old is it?

5. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought it from Sound and Vision in Farnworth in Jan 2004.

I have now completed their online forms and await their instructions. No doubt it will about four weeks before my system is back to normal, I just hope the turnaround time is good. The guarantee should cover the repair/replacement.

I have been advised by a friend ( who is a TV/Video Repair guy), that it sounds like the microprocessor has packed up, from the symptoms that I told him.

Switched it on today and all manner of things came up on the display! Track and Title appeared with 8u underneath both words, further along were three what looked like portable TV's with aerials on top! And furthest to the right the CD,VCD,DVD graphics appeared in a block!! Still dead though -

You mention that yours is going back too - same problem? Despite the excellent pic and sound quality(and DivX capability) I would swap mine in an instant if there was a suitable replacement available.

Many thanks

6. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Hi.
    Try re-booting the system in the same way you would a software update......might work if you use an older firmware version (like 2.8.5.). I've had more problems with mine with successive versions of firmware so have stuck it back on 2.8.5

7. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I cannot reboot the system, apart from unplugging it and then allowing it to power up. After the power up, no functions work, so I cannot load a disc into the tray for the firmware update.

When I last updated the firmware, things did operate a bit smoother, but it has been switching itself off, not switching sources and remote control not functioning (ie, pressing the Volume button would eject the disc!) ever since I bought it.

Seems strange that it is cutting out the video signal to my plasma when it is switched on.

Thanks for your comments and advice guys. I will let you know as to what the problem is as soon as it is sorted.

I have solved my sound issue by setting up the portable TV with a video sender link from the Sky+, thus enjoying my Pioneer PDP434HDE accompanied by the sound from the portable. Yup, the sound is absolute sh*te, but at least it is sound - and it is in sync!!

Thing is, if I wasn't so lazy, I could convert all my Divx, Xvid etc to DVD format and then I wouldn't need a Jamo. Or even a direct link from my PC. Guess I'll get a Denon next time . :thumbsup:

8. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    dixiedean

I had a similar problem after a faulty software reboot, and i needed to get the disc out. The system would power up & fall silent.

Try this:

If you manually flip open the main front flap, look at the gap just under the dvd tray. To the right side of this slim space is a small white button.
    Get a blunt knife.
    Insert gently and keep this button depressed.
    Now unplug the jamo.....keeping this button pressed all the time.
    Now (after 15-20sec) plug it back in (keeping button pressed).

At some point in boot up, the tray should open (even if for 2-3 seconds)....hopefully just enough time to stick a boot disc in. Of course, as the tray starts to open, you'll have to remove the knife pretty sharpish

When it next powers up, it should at least try to boot after reading the disc toc.

G'luck

9. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the tip Gaffer, but I reckon it is best left alone now and send the damn thing back for repair/replacement. If they think I have been tampering with it then the guarantee may be invalidated.

Cheers

10. bargepole

bargepole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So I take it none of you would recommend buying the Jamo dvr50.

Just that when I phoned sound and vision regarding a home cinema system they recommended the dvr 50 + a305 speaker package. I actually phoned to see if they had the philips lx7500r in stock, they didn't although it's on their website, and the person I spoke to didn't think the philips was much good, raved about the jamo, but if it's proving unreliable then I'm not interested. :thumbsdow

11. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bargepole - In my opinion, the Jamo delivers excellent picture and sound quality, but I would not recommend the system to anyone cos of the poor operation and reliability issues. The main reason I bought one was purely the different formats it supports such as Xvid, Divx etc. If that is a priority, then risk it and get one - if not then buy a more reliable system.

I bought mine from Sound and Vision, who are normally spot on, but they really should tell customers about the reliability issues. But I suppose once it is sold, it is sold - but doesn't do wonders for their reputation. And I bet their factored repair company has a few Jamo DVR50's on its work benches!!

12. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine was from Unbeatable.co.uk
    It's due to go back for the second time to repair the same problems.
    Last time it took about 6-7 weeks.

Chris

13. dixiedean

dixiedean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys !

Just had the Jamo returned after 5 weeks, so not too bad. I had to reset everything, and lo and behold, the damn thing locked up again!!! Powered up and it seems OK now, although a DVD did fast forward when I pressed the volume button.

Wondering now whether to risk the latest firmware upgrade !

Happy days.

14. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    5 weeks for a repair is rediculous.
    Mine took about the same time when it was 'repaired'.
    Going to be about the same when I send it off now.

It it comes back and still doesn't work properly then I will take further action.

15. garyjack

garyjack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris.
    I know this thread was a while back but I have just read every post on the jamo dvr 50 as my one has died and looks like the same power fault as they all seem to have, no surprise to me as this is not the first time it has happened, I had the power fault before and luckily it was in guarantee by 5 days so after a long wait I got it back and 3 months later its gone again! What a hunk of junk.

Anyway, I don’t like the idea of wasting over £100 to repair it as it will go again and again. I was just wondering if jamo are helping out with these badly made machines? As you said “the unit is covered for 2 years not that it matters as you have 6 years to claim”
    I like the idea of the word claim! also my one had very loud whirring fan noise till I could stand it no more and put a drop of wd40 on it which stopped it right away.

Failing this route to sort it out, would you know if I can buy something I could use my A210PDD and A210, A2SUB speakers and sub, that came with it? Only I do like them and they did sound great.
    I read on this site somewhere about the DMR 60 you can buy without speakers and if it has a quiet fan and a power supply that works I would go for that if it will all work together.

Should have got a denon really!
    Any help would be great thank you. Gary

16. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does it do random things? Does it sometimes work and somtimes not?Do random characters appear on the screen?

If so, then it's the capacitors in the power supply. The authorised Jamo repair company wanted £100 to look at it + parts.
    In the end I opened mine up, and 2 capacitors had visibly blown on the power supply. I went to Maplin and bought some new ones for around £2. I look the power supply out and soldered new ones in. Worked fine.

If you have a soldering iron or a friend that does then it's an easy job. It takes about an hour to take everything apart, solder in new parts and put it back together.

If I was you though, I would speak to trading standards first as it is obviously an inherant fault as so many have gone.

How long have you had the unit? How long did it last untill it broke the first time?

They are obviously getting on a bit now so you might not have much recourse.

I'm not familiar with your speakers, but I use my A305 + sub with my Denon 1920 + 1906 and they are fine, much better than the Jamo.

I never found out how long my Jamo lasted after I repaired it as I sold it a couple of months later.

Let me know how you get on.

Chris

17. garyjack

garyjack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris.

The first time it broke it did all the random stuff you described, but this time the only sign of life is the small blue light in the middle.
    I have had in about 2 a half years now and the first time it broke it was 5 days in guarantee on the 2 year warrantee .

you would think jamo would do something for us as it’s obviously a design fault
    I would expect someone on this site must of gone down the trading standards route and as I have not read about it they probably was any help.
    I have lost heart with it really and must say I am tempted to just bin it;
    but would try to repair in myself if I can see any signs of anything blown so I will open it up later

as for my speakers the manual lists them (A 210) for speakers and (A 2SUB) the sub
    maybe they changed them at some point, wish they had changed the machine!
    they are small oval 190x110x76mm / 7, 5x4,3x3,0 inch and weight is 0,5 kg/ 1.1lb
    the sub looks like a flying saucer HxWxD… 469x469x144mm / 18,5x18,5x5,7 inch
    and the colour is silver

if they would work with something different I would probably just get a new machine.
    I will look at the Denon that you mentioned I think, would you know the price by any chance?
    anyway thanks for the reply.

Gary.

18. SureshNL

SureshNL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The importer in the Netherlands has done something. My DVR50 expired shortly after the warranty did. The dealer already had a notice from the importer to return faulty units for a cheap repair or for a replacement DMR60 unit for the equivalent of 100 notes.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3844454&postcount=25

I have to say I'm delighted with it. Excellent sound quality and the possibility to play MP3s and DivX from a USB stick which works pretty well. :smashin:

19. greycounciller

greycounciller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thats fine in you live in the Netherlands, what about a similar situation in the UK?

20. SureshNL

SureshNL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Write to Jamo UK or head office in Denmark. Maybe they can do the same?

21. greycounciller

greycounciller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Though mine isn't dead yet, I'll give it a go sooner or later, though mine's still got the heart of a teenager:thumbsup:.
    How do you find your DMR?

22. garyjack

garyjack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    The e.mails below may be of interest to some people on this site, I e.mailed jamo not expecting any help and was very pleased with them as
    they even picked it up for me and as you can read the tone of my first e.mail wasn’t very nice.
    I sent the first e.mail 16th of jan and the new machine arrived on the 2nd of feb, just over 2 weeks can’t be bad.
    I set it up and it’s really good and has no fan noise!
    the guy I dealt with was really good and helpful.
    the total price came out after VAT to be £114.56

Hi.
    Can you tell me if you have a replacement for the complete pile of rubbish I bought from you in 2004, It's been nothing but trouble and as you have discontinued the DVR50 presumably because of the faulty power supply issue plus the very loud whirring fan noise, I wondered if you could suggest a machine that will plug into my old speakers and sub, that will hopefully allow me to hear the TV above any fan noise and above all be reliable ? I don't want to repair it again at my cost as it is the second time the power supply has gone and will cost £100 plus again and as it is clearly a design fault as a read of www.avforums.com under forums, 'all-in-one-systems' will soon tell you, it would seem to be a waste of money and time. I do want to keep the A2sub and A210 speakers as they HAVE worked well and are fit for purpose. I have considered phoning trading standards about this machine and will look into it later. has trading standards been involved, as so many people have the same problems ? anyway please suggest a replacement if you have one, as it has been broken over a month now and I need to sort something out soon.

Thank you. Gary
    ………………………………....................................................................................................

Gary,

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with the DVR50. Even though we recently took on the distribution for Jamo in the UK, and thus inherited issues with the DVR50, are offering a 'trade in' facility. With your faulty DVR50 as part exchange we are able to offer the DVR50's replacement, the DMR60, for £90 + £7.50(P&P) + VAT. The normal suggested selling price of the DMR60 is £350. The DMR60 has very similar features and power output to the DVR50, and can therefore be used in it's place. If this is acceptable, please let me know and I will start the trade in process.

Kind regards, John Stanhope
    ………………………………........................................................................................................

Hi Gary,

Sorry for the delay, I've been in and out of the office the last few days more than I'd like...! One of the conditions of the trade in facility is that the return of the unit is arranged by the customer. However, as a further gesture of goodwill, if you can get the unit packaged (I am aware that you do not have the original packaging) then I will arrange for courier to come to you to collect the faulty unit. When that is here, I will arrange for our sales team to contact you to get the replacement sent out to you. Please advise if this is OK, and I will arrange for the courier to come to collect the old unit.

Kind regards, John

23. Thewisp

Thewisp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if the DMR60 is compatible with the A305 speakers and sub system? Ive had a look at photographs of the back of a DMR60 and cannot see a phono output for the sub. The connections for the satellites also bear little resemblance to the DVR50.

Ive still got problems with my unit despite having been back to the repairer on three occasions. :mad: I'm loathe to buy a replacement but needs must.

The current speaker arrangment suits my requirements but I don't want two boxes cluttering up the room. Any suggestions?

Thanks

24. SureshNL

SureshNL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like good news from the UK distributor :clap:

I have the DMR60 and can tell you that the A410PDD speakers and sub from my defunct DVR50 were perfectly compatible i.e. there is a phono pug for the sub. The connectors for the speakers are small and fiddly though. Get someone with small hands to help you!

25. Carpen

Carpen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I've read about all your problems vith Jamo DVR50. I've been fairly satisfied vith my Jamo DVR50 so far. But now i'm searching for a newer upgrade than 2.9.4. Is there anyone? The Jamo website just present the two year old 2.9.4 "upgrade" version as if nothing ever happened...

I want to be able to watch avi and mpg4 coded movies!!! Pls help me if you knew anything about this.