1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My IR Mood Lighting

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Lydecker, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, just finished the lighting for my home AV system and thought I'd share it with you:
    [​IMG]

The Lights on the left and right are Minicubeus from www.acdclighting.co.uk
    The blue shelf lights are home made. Pieces of glass cut, then neon tubes (from http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51686) stripped of there casing and mounted on the back of the glass, using kitchen foil to allow the majority of the light to propergate through the glass.

Both lightings are controlled by Infra Red (RX's bought and assembled from http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37842&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=6m1) and can be controlled via any learning remote control. IR Reciever is positioned at the top of the silver 'beam' running down the center of the wall.

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    Looks stunning!!

3. strider-nje

strider-nje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Veru cool, especially the shelves.

4. shiddot

shiddot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lydecker,

Your install looks fantastic - I'm in the process of finishing a similar thing but within a fireplace. Did the the glass shelves come with the unit they are mounted on, or did you have them custom made for you by a glazier?

The best I have found for my use are some B&Q ones designed for kitchen cabinets. They are the perfect width (just over 17" wide), but only about 9" deep, which is a little too small for some of my components. I am also concerned that they may not be thick enough to acheive the desired lighting effect around the edges.

If you did have them custom made, can you tell me what type (i.e safety) and thickness of glass you used, and if you don't mind, how much you paid.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt.

5. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I purchased the glass custom made in the summer - thus unfortunatly i cant recall the price nor recipt!

The thickness (which was recommended to be for AV equipment) is 5mm

6. tehn

tehn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lydecker. Looks great - I've been trying to achieve the same effect with the glass shelves in my AV cabinet without success, and was refered to this thread.

I've tried taping a blue CC neon along the back edge of my 5mm glass shelves (with shiny aluminium tape) but I don't get much of a glow on the glass edge and I end up with a fan effect on the wall beside my cabinet (right across my projector screen!)

I suspect it has to do with the shape of my glass edge, which is clear polished with a small 45 deg champher on the corners.

What is the front edge of your glass shaped like, and is it frosted at all?

Thanks, Niall.

7. duke748

duke748

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Lydecker

Couple of questions.

i) Where did you find transformer to power the lights
    ii) When I took the covers off the tubes there is a small amount of voltage going through. How can I eliminate that