1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my iPod's killing my Wharfedales. why?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sandeep05, Jul 6, 2005.

1. sandeep05

sandeep05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey. I've got an interesting problem for you audiophiles out there. Sorry about the length.

I've got some Wharfedale Diamond 8.2's set up to a (more or less) entry level sony amp (70wpc), using high-end QED Original cable to connect to my seperates. When I play CD's through through my Sony CD player seperate everything is good and happy in the world.

The problem comes in when I connect my iPod (through line out) to the aux terminals on my amp. When I look at the bass cone side on, its moving an awful lot. In fact, more then if I'm playing the same song at the same volume through a CD. It will move more but produce the same (usually less) amount of bass. It also sometimes moves eratically at parts of the music where there is no bass. Even with that erratic movement, hardly any bass is produced.

Now, I know you'll all start thinking about the mp3 files on the iPod but rest assured I've looked into that. I've ripped several mp3's directly from an original CD using different compressing techinques (and lossless compression blah blah..) and stuck that on my iPod and played it and the result's the same every time. I'm using a high end QED J2P cable (oxygen free, gold plated etc) to connect from line out to the aux terminals. I've tried sticking it into phono but that dosent work.

I went into superfi today and hooked up my iPod to some Wharfedale EVO 30 and 40's with the same result: lots of wierd, exageratted bass cone movement.

So I guess I've got 2 questions.
    One: is this damaging my speakers by stretching the cone unnessacarily and
    Two: Can anyone please explain to me why or how this is happening?

Whew! I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    you got some kind of extra bass or bass boost on the i-pod? sometimes speakers move lots and appear to make little noise at very low fequency. They have to move lots to reproduce the fequency, which are less audible but more feelable. It's unlikely to damage the speakers as long as it's not distorting them from having the output to high on the i-pod or volume on the amp cranked up high.

3. istari knight

istari knight
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i second this , its probably the EQ on the ipod - also qed aint high end.....

4. MrMD

MrMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I third it, also check the level out of the ipod isnt too high, as this can distort the sound. Its better to have a low level out of the ipod and turn the amplifier up a little.

5. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should get a converting cable so you can plug your iPod into your stereo by the lineout at the bottom rather than the headphone at the top - this'll help although I'd also have thought it was some kind of bassboost or EQ the iPod has.