My Install Experience

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Richuu, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Richuu

Richuu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Following on from Daverey2's thread, I thought I'd offer my experience too, two months on.

First off, I was a bit gutted that I ordered my install a day too late. One evening, I was looking at the price and it was £75 + standard install, minus a £15 credit. "I'll go for that" I thought. Next day, the £15 credit had gone off the offer, and (IIRC), the price had gone back up. B***er. However, they agreed to the £75 cost, but wouldn't back down on the £15 credit, even when I suggested they'd be losing £120 per year subs if I didn't order. Oh well, I'd been thinking about it for a while, so I went for it. My slot was booked for just a few days before Christmas - quite a wait, but all good things etc.

On install day, an independent installer turned up bright and early without calling first. He removed his grubby trainers before going into the lounge, which I was impressed with, took a look at the setup and went and grabbed a box. The actual install was straightforward and the longest bit was him on the phone to Sky to pair the card and update the subs. I did mention to him that I'd been getting a lot of "no signal received" errors on the old Sky+ box, which I suspected to be the LNB, but he checked the signal strength and said all was ok.

Once he demo'd the channels and left, I set all the settings to what they should have been - my TV is 720p, but the box was set to 1080i, so rectified that, along with a couple of other things (can't remember what now!).

I was very impressed with the picture quality, and the Skiing on Eurosport vs Eurosport HD was a perfect comparison.

After a few days, I was getting the "no signal received" errors again. To cut the story, the same engineer was back again and replaced the dish and LNB - perfect since.

I am getting the lip sync errors from time to time, sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes not so. This is with no external sound system - just audio and pic over HDMI to a Panasonic 42" plasma. I hope it gets sorted soon.

Overall, not a bad experience and IMO, worth it for the pic quality on the HD content there is.

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    you should set your sky box to 1080i or auto as your tv will do a better job in scaling your sky picture to 720p than the sky box will.