My impression of 5.1.4 after having used it for a full week.

DarkJoe

Banned
It's awesome! Strangely though I didn't find it very impressive for Atmos encoded Blu-rays but rather for regular Netflix and Prime streams. Using DTS neural X and upconverting 5.1 or 2.0 audio works extremely well and makes a substantial difference. It's much better than standard 5.1 surround sound.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
It's awesome! Strangely though I didn't find it very impressive for Atmos encoded Blu-rays but rather for regular Netflix and Prime streams. Using DTS neural X and upconverting 5.1 or 2.0 audio works extremely well and makes a substantial difference. It's much better than standard 5.1 surround sound.
What Atmos encoded blu rays have you tried mate?

DarkJoe

Banned
What Atmos encoded blu rays have you tried mate?
I've watch Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool and Everest. Everest was the most impressive out of all of those and I'm sure there are better but I'm just impressed with what it does for standard streams. Seems to be very accurate with the sound placement.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Yep, its great at upmixing, but there's plenty of "Proper " Atmos tracks that should leave the up mixes in the dust, in terms of dynamics, LFE and openness.. if you have a 4k player, or Xbox one S etc..purchase the 4k version of either, Pacific Rim or Blade Runner ( to name a few) 2049..you will still get the Atmos soundtrack, even if you donthave a 4k display...turn it up, and then hide behind your Sofa or go and tell your neighbour's that you are sorry lol.

It's not all about Volume, it's about pure immersion and dynamics, and these 2 discs will not disappoint.

DarkJoe

Banned
Yep, its great at upmixing, but there's plenty of "Proper " Atmos tracks that should leave the up mixes in the dust, in terms of dynamics, LFE and openness.. if you have a 4k player, or Xbox one S etc..purchase the 4k version of either, Pacific Rim or Blade Runner ( to name a few) 2049..you will still get the Atmos soundtrack, even if you donthave a 4k display...turn it up, and then hide behind your Sofa or go and tell your neighbour's that you are sorry lol.

It's not all about Volume, it's about pure immersion and dynamics, and these 2 discs will not disappoint.
I haven't seen Blade Runner yet so I will definitely take your advice on this.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
I haven't seen Blade Runner yet so I will definitely take your advice on this.
There's plenty more Excellent Atmos discs, on Blu Ray and 4k.

Last edited:

simon194

Fury Road is another good one.

I first watched it when I had a 7.1.2 setup and wasn't that impressed but once I switched to a 7.1.4 setup it made for a much more immersive experience. I think the problem with only having 2 "Atmos speakers" is the overhead effects seem to get lost.

DarkJoe

Banned
Fury Road is another good one.

I first watched it when I had a 7.1.2 setup and wasn't that impressed but once I switched to a 7.1.4 setup it made for a much more immersive experience. I think the problem with only having 2 "Atmos speakers" is the overhead effects seem to get lost.
Thank you , I'll add it to the list

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom