My impending upgrade.....

Probably about as long as I did. Went into Jessops last week to have a look at the Minolta Dynax 5D (already a Minolta user otherwise it would have been a 350D or a D50).

Did I get one? No ended up with a 7D instead. In for a penny and all that. :D

it's a lovely camera, feels really well made, just have to find some time to get out and play now.

Johndm said:
Well I've been and got my mitts on a 20D in Jessops.....just for 10 mins though...needed to handle one.

Feels much more solid than my 300D, and I like the wheel on the back.

How long before I crack.... :D

*opens book* oddds arnt very good!

yeh the jog wheel and joystick on the back are brilliant, its just a great peice of kit, you;d love one john!

They are about £300 less than they used to be and Canon is doing £100 cashback offer ;)
Unless there is a 30D (12 megapixel, 8fpm burst : new kid on the block etc ) there is probably no camera at its current prize range to touch it for sheer quality.
I bought the 350D because of the big cost differnce then..no regrets but coming from a 300D the only way up really is the 20D
Now I would just flash the plastic and starting eating once a day for a while :smashin:

If I were you John, as it's primarily aviation you're going to be shooting, I'd avoid the 20D - have heard from sooo many unhappy owners of them.

For the same price or less you can pick up a second hand 1D - less MP but an infinitely better camera.

BocheB said:
I'd avoid the 20D - have heard from sooo many unhappy owners of them.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

With an order pending with Kerso for said camera can you expand a little on why I should avoid it :confused:

Everyone I know that owns a 20D, whose opinion I respect, have had problems ranging from the standard lock-ups and ERR 01/99s to shutter failure, battery grip problems (still not fixed by the 'fixed' grip I hear) and unreliable autofocus.

There are lots of happy 20D owners out there but it just seems a significant number of people who use theirs a lot for action photography are pushing it beyond what it can handle both in terms of physical reliability and AF accuracy. I had similar experience with the 10D - hugely unreliable AF - and have found both the earlier D60 and later 1D2 much more solid in that respect.

BocheB said:
Everyone I know that owns a 20D, whose opinion I respect, have had problems ranging from the standard lock-ups and ERR 01/99s to shutter failure, battery grip problems (still not fixed by the 'fixed' grip I hear) and unreliable autofocus.

I had a 20D and sold it for one of the said reasons above, All in all it was a very nice camera but for the money you shouldnt have a camera that locks up making you look stupid when doing weddings etc, then having to take the battery out and replace it to waken the camera again... :(

Please don't think I am dissing the 20D... There are hundreds of happy users out there using this camera, Just my luck I must have got a Friday afternoon model.. :thumbsdow

However I now use a 1DMk2 and although they are lots more money to buy I cannot fault it. The performance and reliability is 100% spot-on. ;)

And Johndm.... :hiya: For the amount of aviation you shoot I would certainly look towards the 1d series money permitting.. :)
The high burst mode and autofocus is just unbelievable mate, The 1st time I used it on aircraft in flight in rattled off 20 odd pictures in RAW mode and filled the buffer long before it got to me.. :rotfl:

whilst i an agree id like to point out that my camera gets used for "action photography" in what could be considered the worst conditions for a camera, it gets knocked around, gets covered in beer from punters, the light varies from pitch black to bright white, red and blue and the autofocus rarely gets it wrong.

ive also only had 1 lock up, and this was quickly solved by removing the batterya and putting it back in, thats the only problem ive had with the camera.

so its not in all cases, i believe it to be a superb bit of kit

mr jones said:
so its not in all cases, i believe it to be a superb bit of kit

Please don't think I am knocking the 20D mr jones, I most certainly arnt and for my money its a top quality camera.. :thumbsup:

The fact is I do upgrade quite often whether it be my computer or my camera. The camera upgrade was brought forward for two reasons in my case.

1: My 20D was locking up and was indeed cheesing me off..... "ie" the action starts and my beloved camera has frozen up. Not nice when you wait maybe 2 to 3 hours for jets coming up the mountains only to have a dead camera to shoot with. :thumbsdow The same thing happened at a wedding I was shooting at. The biggest embarrassment was a lady offered me her point and shoot to use as my 20D had locked up, I could have throttled her to be honest.. :rolleyes:

2: The 1DMk2N will very soon be in our shops and at almost £1,000 more that its predecessor the 1DMk2 I took advantage of picking one up before they were no longer available then paying over the odds for very much the same camera as the N model.. :)

Always good to hear 'both sides of the coin' ............(so to speak).......... interesting

Thanks

Mr THX said:
Always good to hear 'both sides of the coin' ............(so to speak).......... interesting

Thanks

I think you'll always hear more horror stories than satisfied users.... :eek:

I still read about the 20D grip problems..the 'flex' still not resolved???

My 300D and grip have worked almost flawlessly for 18 months, but for the first time recently, after a burst, (yes a small burst) of shots, I glanced down at the camera to see the display had gone off...and the three pics were lost.. :suicide:

Now, I was swinging it around a bit with my 100-400 hanging on..so if this is the same as the 20D problem, then no big deal really.
Just a flick of the power switch brought it to life again.

busterboy said:
Please don't think I am knocking the 20D mr jones, I most certainly arnt and for my money its a top quality camera.. :thumbsup:

The fact is I do upgrade quite often whether it be my computer or my camera. The camera upgrade was brought forward for two reasons in my case.

1: My 20D was locking up and was indeed cheesing me off..... "ie" the action starts and my beloved camera has frozen up. Not nice when you wait maybe 2 to 3 hours for jets coming up the mountains only to have a dead camera to shoot with. :thumbsdow The same thing happened at a wedding I was shooting at. The biggest embarrassment was a lady offered me her point and shoot to use as my 20D had locked up, I could have throttled her to be honest.. :rolleyes:

2: The 1DMk2N will very soon be in our shops and at almost £1,000 more that its predecessor the 1DMk2 I took advantage of picking one up before they were no longer available then paying over the odds for very much the same camera as the N model.. :)

Maybe you had a bad copy??? Did you not try and exchange out of interest, or just give up and go for the 1DMk2?

I looked a one the other weekend, guy told me he picked it up for 2.5k with just 1500 on the counter...

He also demonstrated its machine gun capabilities.....MOST impressive.. :D

Johndm said:
Maybe you had a bad copy??? Did you not try and exchange out of interest, or just give up and go for the 1DMk2?

Basically took the easy route and sold it on eBay John.. :)

Johndm said:
I looked a one the other weekend, guy told me he picked it up for 2.5k with just 1500 on the counter...

Brand new with UK warranty at Park Cameras for a snip over £2k John.. :thumbsup:

Johndm said:
He also demonstrated its machine gun capabilities.....MOST impressive.. :D

Not knowing you personally but having seen your fabulous work you would get the best out of the 1D series.

I wish we lived closer I would gladly loan you my camera to try just to see your face after using it.. :rotfl:

Johndm said:

Stiffed!!!

2.2K new for my last one just a month or so back.

Johndm said:
I am unable to post here my wifes words...... :rotfl: :rotfl:

does she not realise that you buying a new camera body will...

- improve your sex life
- bring you closer together
- solve world peace

its win win

busterboy said:
John!!! Is it a case of under the :thumbsdow

Far from it...but my list is getting too long....

1. Camera upgrade
2. 16-35 & 24-70 L's
3. 42" Panny Plasma or LCD
4. Replace my ageing Trans Am with a Corvette
5. Get my PPL
6. Rent a Hummer in California next year
7. Take a 1.5 hour Warbird flight (only had 40 mins this year)
8. Get Sky Hi Def and Sky Plus
9. Upgrade DVD recorder to H/Drive job
10. Upgrade Subwoofer
11. Bigger TFT for Puter
12. Give up work to play wif me toys

Johndm said:
1. Camera upgrade

Second-hand 1D - 750 notes.

2. 16-35 & 24-70 L's

Get a Sigma 15-30 and a 24-105 instead and save enough to buy the 1D.

3. 42" Panny Plasma or LCD

They're all rubbish.

4. Replace my ageing Trans Am with a Corvette

Matchbox?

5. Get my PPL

:smashin: However economically it's :suicide:

6. Rent a Hummer in California next year

Steal one. Much cheaper.

7. Take a 1.5 hour Warbird flight (only had 40 mins this year)

More than 40 mins just hurts your bum. 22 hours really hurts. :cool:

8. Get Sky Hi Def and Sky Plus

Tivo's cheaper...

9. Upgrade DVD recorder to H/Drive job
10. Upgrade Subwoofer

Fair enough.

11. Bigger TFT for Puter

CRT all the way for photo work...

12. Give up work to play wif me toys

Done that :D

thats worse than mine

1)find house
2)buy house
3) move into house
4) decorate house
5) furnish house
6) buy laptop
7) upgrade PC
8) turn spare room into a studio

BocheB, What about all of the people you know with a 20D whose opinion you don`t respect ?
Mr THX, I have a 20D and to date, touch wood, have not experienced any of the problems mentioned in this thread. If you do encounter these problems the answer is simple. Do as busterboy did and unload your defective camera on some poor unsuspecting sap on eBay.
There can be no doubt that the 1DMkII is a better camera then the 20D. However as it costs nearly three times as much then so it should be. Shouldn`t it ?

Basically took the easy route and sold it on eBay John..
An item costs hundreds of (a thousand, even) pounds and it doesn't work properly (is not fit for purpose) do you
(a) Exercise your legal rights and exchange it for either a replacement or a full refund, or
(b) Sell it to someone else for a fraction of what it cost you to buy under the false pretence that it works perfectly well, thereby doing youself out of hundreds of pounds, conning a poor unsuspecting member of the public out of hundreds of pounds and at the same time letting the responsible party (the manufacturer) completely off the hook.

Remember when taking advise that a person on this forum thought option (b) was the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom