My Humax 9200T won't boot up after power cut.

al3001

Standard Member
Hi,

I have the Humax 9200T with a Seagate U Series 9 Ultra ATA 160GB hard disk inside.

The other night I had a power cut and when I turned the unit back on it began to load and had the Sting countdown thing but then stopped leaving just ------- (the dashes) frozen in the window.

So I disconnected the hard drive and tried to start it up. The unit turned on and I could watch all the freeview TV channels but no hard drive option was in the menu any more. I reconnected the HD but still same problem.

I used Humax Media Controller to see if I could connect. I disconnected HD started the unit up to see the TV channels then reconnected the HD while still on, and connected my PC via the USB input to use Media Controller.

MC was able to recognise the Humax was there but could not list the recorded TV programmes or do much else. I went to the command prompt to see if drives 1 or 2 where detectable but they were not.

I think the master boot record may be damaged perhaps. This is where I get a little bit out of my depth because my knowledge of tech side is only partial.

Is there any software that can somehow bring back the list of recorded programmes and recogonise the presence of the 1 and 2 drives so that I can perhaps get back some of the recordings and then format the disk so that it will work again.

I read that someone had a similar problem to me and he reformatted the disk with a PC using NTFS and it worked again.

Also would I need to get a separate USB to IDE or ATA cable with power source to attach it to my PC to fix the drive. If so which model of cable will do it because there are a few out there.

Thanks for any help

Al

nvingo

My advice (not having experienced such problem with my 9200) would be to join Hummy.Org and post there. Some members ( xyz321 for instance ) have very good knowledge of the HDD on the 9200, and may be able to assist you in repairing the MBR or transferring the recordings to a fresh HDD.

xyz321

Standard Member
I used Humax Media Controller to see if I could connect. I disconnected HD started the unit up to see the TV channels then reconnected the HD while still on, and connected my PC via the USB input to use Media Controller.
Probably not a good idea to reconnect while still on.

Is there any software that can somehow bring back the list of recorded programmes and recogonise the presence of the 1 and 2 drives so that I can perhaps get back some of the recordings and then format the disk so that it will work again.
It is probably minor disk corruption, have a look at this FAQ. It is most likely that the second part will fix it but you could try the reset thing first. Shouldn't need to reformat.

Also would I need to get a separate USB to IDE or ATA cable with power source to attach it to my PC to fix the drive. If so which model of cable will do it because there are a few out there.
As an alternative to the adapter you could connect it directly to the PC's IDE interface.

Last edited:

al3001

Standard Member
Thankyou xyz321

I am using a laptop so I guess I will have to get a ide/usb cable. Will try those things you kindly pointed me to in the FAQ. Will let you know if I get success here in hopefully sometime in next few days.

I tried to get a login name at hummy but they never sent me a confirmation email so will have to try that again. Until then I'll post things here.

Al

al3001

Standard Member
Thanks for that FAQ xyz321

I went to maplin and got this USB connector to link my laptop to the humax hard disk. You could probably buy a cheaper, one but it also can read laptop, CD and DVD drives which is a bonus. I realize people with desktop PCs could have simply attached the humax disk to its spare ide cable.

IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 > Maplin

I connected the humax disk to my laptop with the cable

WinXP recognized the presence of the humax hard disk once connected only in the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Managment section. However My Computer did not show the drive present.

Then I followed the FAQ and opened command prompt and set the directory to the one Humaxcheck.exe was in and entered humaxcheck 1:

It listed a whole lot of files and then I entered humaxcheck 1: -d -c -w
and it did some repairing for a few seconds.

I reattached the drive back to the humax and everything was working again perfectly. All my recorded programmes still there.

Thanks a lot xyz321

If you have a paypal donate account or something let me know and I'll send you a tip.

Take care.

Al

crankhead

Novice Member
Probably far too late, but I had the exact same problem with my Humax.
No need to reformat disk.
Just open the case, remove 80 pin IDE connector from the hard disk, and power up without HD connected. It will boot properly and the display will show time. Now power down, reconnect IDE cable, replace the cover with the five screws, and power up again. This fixed my Hummy.

Hi,

I have the Humax 9200T with a Seagate U Series 9 Ultra ATA 160GB hard disk inside.

The other night I had a power cut and when I turned the unit back on it began to load and had the Sting countdown thing but then stopped leaving just ------- (the dashes) frozen in the window.

So I disconnected the hard drive and tried to start it up. The unit turned on and I could watch all the freeview TV channels but no hard drive option was in the menu any more. I reconnected the HD but still same problem.

MC was able to recognise the Humax was there but could not list the recorded TV programmes or do much else. I went to the command prompt to see if drives 1 or 2 where detectable but they were not.

I think the master boot record may be damaged perhaps. This is where I get a little bit out of my depth because my knowledge of tech side is only partial.

I read that someone had a similar problem to me and he reformatted the disk with a PC using NTFS and it worked again.

Thanks for any help

Al

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom