1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HTPC New Build - Suggestions Welcome!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rick1486, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gang - received my HS10 today and am busy trawling through the instruction manual before I set about turning it on. Should have received all my HTPC parts for my build by this Thurs.3/4/3 & will then set about building it. Proposed parts are as follows and I would like to hear your suggestions/proposals to avoid potential stumbling blocks with my setup.
    HS10 connected via DVI to pc.
    Coolermaster ATC111B
    A7N8X Deluxe
    XP2400+ 512mb. pc2700 ddr sdram (Crucial)
    RADEON 9700PRO (Crucial)
    ZALMAN 6000CU
    NEBULA DIGI TV CARD
    PINNACLE PCTV PRO
    MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX +9 160GB 8mb. Cache
    PIONEER 106 DVDROM
    GYRATION ULTRA KB + MOUSE
    QTEC 550W PSU
    BLUE COLD CATHODE + SILVER CABLES (ROUND)

Comments/suggestions welcome - will be looking to use as replacement for tv/dvd and with ordinary SKY (pace) box and running winxp pro.
    Should I be looking at additional software etc?

Cheers
    Rick

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are a few thoughts, FWIW. Note that I am a novice at this HTPC so believe what I say at your own peril!

Firstly, 9700Pro sound a bit like overkill for an HTPC. Either a 9000 (non-Pro) or a 9500 with the Zalman passive cooler seem to be the prefered option unless you are in to the latest games.

The 6000Cu should be fine - my 2100+ is currently running at 45-46 degrees at 100% CPU load - though I would add a tube of Artic Silver 3 to your shopping list. I does depend on how cool your case is - mine is an Antec minitower which does run very cool, i.e. only a few degrees above ambient.

Finally, do you want a cold cathode in a HTPC? When the lights are down and the PJ on, do you really want your HTPC to be glowing blue? Just a thought...

HTH,

_

3. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like a good system to me! but agree that the 9700 maybe overkill.

Anyone know if the QTEC PSU's are quite? Plus (novice comment) are two sticks of 256DDR better than one 512DDR because of Dual DDR on the m/b.....or am i chatting rubbish again!!:rolleyes:

4. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm assuming that Rick meant Q-technology (as sold at www.quietpc.com IIRC) which are supposed to be quiet. QTEC are regular, cheap PSUs and, I would imagine, as noisey as the next PSU. I have an Antec TruPower 330, which is very quiet and has the option to temperature control case fans. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a HTPC PSU.

_

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I dont think you need a PSU with as much as 550W, 300-350 should be fine and will generate less heat.

Instead of the PINNACLE PCTV PRO uise the Packard Bell TV-100 which are available form PCWorld for £39.99. Its the latest generation of capture card and performs much better with Dscaler.

Slightly more money than the flower is the Thermalright SLK800 and a 92mm Panaflo but in my experienbce they run slightly cooler especially in a desktop case where airflow is not so good.

2*256mb is the desired config on the A7N8X as opposed to 1*512mb to get the ram running at a higher speed if overclocking the FSB.

Haven't heard of the case before but does it take an ATX board and not mATX???

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with regard to the Radeon and the PSU. With the cash you'd save by reducing these options (and eliminating the cold cathode!!) you could get yourself a new 2500+ Barton (at least) and some better spec Corsair RAM.

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I use the Radeon 9000 as it has no fan and am very happy with the results.

BTW Whats sound card will u be using?

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I would get a Seagate Barracuda over the MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX +9 160GB. I think they only go to 120GB, but are apparently a much quieter at 37.8 v.s. 40.1 dB/A @ 18mm idle, according to storagereview.com

I don't think the amazing performance of the +9's 33.7-59.2 MB/sec transfer rate over the Barracuda's 24.7-43.8 MB/sec will ever matter in a HTPC.

Ref: http://storagereview.com/articles/200302/200302276Y200x0_6.html
    Ref: http://storagereview.com/articles/200301/20030110ST3120023AS_6.html

From the Choosing a PSU thread, I think the Zalman quiet PSU is the one to have in a HTPC.

regards,
    Rob.

9. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that lads - keep 'em coming!
    All the parts have now arrived though including the 9700pro, but I don't mind as I DO play lots of games. Unless I read the figures wrong (quite probable!) when I checked the Seagate and Maxtor websites they both quoted very approximately the same db figure.
    BTW I've now mounted the pj as per one of the other threads (apologies can't remember which one) using an Argos t.v. wall bracket - inverted and made a template for drilling the 3 holes which allow the screws to mount the pj - works a treat if anyone else wants to save themselves some dosh. Think I might have placed it a bit high though, however the projected image (yellow video out from Sky pace box via the breakout cable supplied with the pj seems to be fine -- I know I know -- it's not the best setup but until dvi from htpc is done it'll do, and quite frankly it's a bit of an eerie experience I find having such a large image in my living room!
    Anyway, keep the suggestions/opinions coming!
    Rick