1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HS10 just died :(

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sekim, Oct 25, 2004.

1. sekim

sekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I got an HS10 soon after they came out (January 03) after reading about them on these forums and like many was initially very impressed. I too was hit by the lamp bug for a bit, but like others it cleared up by itself and has been pretty flawless since then.... that is until today.

It's suddenly developed terminal lamp problems. If I'm lucky if it will stay on for a couple of minutes before the picture goes black and lamp light comes on solid orange. Power cycle and you get about 2 more minutes of usage before the same thing happens.

I have re-seated the bulb and replaced the air filter to no effect.

The bulb (original) only has about 500 hours of use, but the PJ is nearly 2 years old so well out of it's original warranty. What are my chances of Sony fixing it for free given that there is obviously a kind of known fault and that the number of lamp hours is so low? Otherwise has anybody paid for a repair, if so how much?

I am totally gutted, I thought I had seen the last of the lamp problems :( Thanks in advance for any advice...

MikeS

2. sekim

sekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just found the technical bulletin from a previous post about hs10 problems. Think I may be asking why there wasn't a recall!

3. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A lamp can easilly blow before the number of hours expected.

It's not your HS10 that died but the lamp.

4. sekim

sekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the lamp had died how would I get a picture at all?

Sony told me to get an engineers report, and they would consider replacing it as a good-will gesture which is hopeful. I took it to a local repair centre today and they confirmed the lamp module is faulty (but not blown).

It's got all the symptoms of a typical HS10 lamp cover fault...

5. sekim

sekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well got my engineers report "Lamp unit faulty and needs replacement" well duh, that was £30 well spent!

Anyway have faxed it all off to Sony, they are going to look at it and ring me back in a few days time with their decision. Hopefully they will be sympathetic, my fingers are well and truely crossed!

6. sekim

sekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony just got back to me and have agreed to replace the bulb as a good will gesture! :clap:

However, will a new lamp module cure the "lamp bug" problem or should further work be done? Basically I'm worried about the same thing happening in another 500 hours time!

:lease:

7. ica

ica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi
    I had the same problem with my hs10 but after sony replaced my lamp it as done 300 hours without any fault.
    It was replace about a year or so ago hope this makes you feel better.
    Have a look at this web site www.hs10.com

8. sekim

sekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for that :D

Think I will take them up on their offer as I don't think it's related to a faulty cover.

Fingers crossed it sorts the problem!

9. sekim

sekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well new bulb arrived this morning, only had time for brief testing but it looks very positive! :) Think it might be a little brighter too. Did notice that whereas before the sony logo was barely lit up it's now glowing like a goodun!

Anyways, 1 gold star for Sony support :thumbsup: