My House DIY Thread (Woohoo Photo's!)

Hi All,

As you can see from pictures I am stripping the cornice back to the bare plaster. Not all of it will be getting stripped just the really detailed bits (once all complete pictures will follow).

Once complete and some other stripping is done and maybe even a re-plastering of the walls I will need to start on the painting of the cornice.

Now when it comes to painting I am a dab hand at it as painting a wall is fairly straight-forward. However I am just a slap the paint on person (at the same time taking care not to get it everywhere).

I have a few painting related questions for the more experienced among you:
1) Cornice - what is the best course of action to paint this - just paint the emulsion on or use sealants/primers/under-coats? If so what do you recommend?
2) Cornice - on the cornice that will not have paint removed - I assume putting emulsion straight on this is okay?
3) Cornice - Is a brush the best thing to use or something else? Some people have said to spray it but not sure my skills are good enough and they are not exactly cheap?

4) Newly plastered Walls/Ceiling - Again, what is the best course of action to paint this - just paint the emulsion on or use sealants / primers / under-coats? If so what do you recommend?
5) Walls/Ceiling - I am fan of edging out with a brush then using my industrial sized roller with extension poles but others suggest pads.

Discuss please?

All,

I would also like your thoughts on the difference between a primer paint and a latex and if you would use one or the other?

If you would choose one over the other would you mind letting me know why?

Thanks - When the living room is done I do not want to have to decorate it for a very long time to come :thumbsup:

Hey All,

Right for all those of an original features disposition I recommend you read on with extreme caution and be prepared to lose some from my livingroom. Now normally I am like any man and obey almost all directives received from SWMBO’d. I however went against my wife’s better judgement and although I think it will look better in the long run I do wish I had not undertaken the work as it turned out to be a lot more messy than I had intended.

Okay we have two alcoves in the livingroom one was a small cupboard like one with a hideous shelving unit in it. It had an arched (painted orange) with lights in top which was not original and was to match the archway alcove at the other end of the lingroom. As you can see from the pictures this has now been removed and pulled out – SWMBO’d had no issue with this as it was not original and was pretty crap looking.

However the main work was on the main archway, which IS AN ORIGINAL FEATURE that I wanted to remove for a couple of reasons. One I simply do not like it and think it is hideous and secondly I do have plans (if budgets allow) of installing a project screen in this area.

When I started this work I thought it was just wood, (in a family fortunes styly) ehhh-errrrr! It as all plaster with lathe behind it and then held within the lathe was all the crap of about 120years that has built up in this time between the ceiling and the floor.

If anyone was monitoring general chat yesterday you will have noticed by slightly worried post about a load bearing wall problem that was founded to be unfounded. In some of the pictures you will notice the peel away work continues on the cornice and I am at about 75% complete on this. Just the cornice on the door side to go and then we can get moving with other stuff.

In the final pictures of main archway removed you may see that the picture rail and plaster on the underside of picture rail are every so slightly sagging. I am not 100% certain how to fix this as I plan to build a frame below this and put plastered on and finish with a skim. I had a couple of thoughts:
1) If possible use something like no-more-nails to secure it to underside of RSJ which is holding alcove wall up?
2) Put some screws through the plaster and RSJ to hold in place and then may drill the wooden baton for plasterboard frame also into RSJ?

Option 1 seems to me to be the easier one as I think drilling a hole in an RSJ would not be that easy but some advice on this would really be appreciated. Obviously if there is another option I have not thought of then please suggest it.

Finally for a wooden from for the plaster what type of wood is best for this? 2x4 would that be good enough?

Right with all this information/questions/updates I think you have earned the right to look at some photo updates. Please bear in mind I have no remorse for removing the feature that I have but if you still feel in enough shock that comments are warranted then feel free to through them out. I know my wife will take great pleasure in say “I told you so” and gaining brownie points with my wife is always a great way to make friends and influence people.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• image-2158091269.jpg
    image-2158091269.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 475
  • image-466859627.jpg
    image-466859627.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 483
  • image-317488120.jpg
    image-317488120.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 500
  • image-1838469642.jpg
    image-1838469642.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 491
  • image-1282105687.jpg
    image-1282105687.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 484
  • image-3926572291.jpg
    image-3926572291.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 472
hi, did you rent the scaffolding in the last few pics? if so whats the cost, need something and that looks perfect.

cheers

mr ooops said:
hi, did you rent the scaffolding in the last few pics? if so whats the cost, need something and that looks perfect.

cheers

No renting... I went in for my DIY fetish in a big way. So I am the sole proprietor of these bad boys.

I got them of eBay & cost in the sale about £200 & are normally about £250 & p&p is free... Nice!

The company sell loads - bpsaccesssolutions.

Check them out might be better value than renting.

Sweet man. Go mad on it ! Smash the place up and turn it in to a dream pad !:thumbsup:

Don't know if I have the money to smash the place up but I appreciate the sentiment :thumbsup: Also I do like original features and think this renovation will consist of removing one or two, reinstating a few more, stripping back to reveal hidden features and enhancing what is there already.

However I tip my hat to your gun-ho attitude to demo work. I have seen the pictures of your pad and they are amazing. Our pad will not look as futuristic as your smashing gaff but will look amazing nonetheless.... I hope :smashin:

Don't know if I have the money to smash the place up but I appreciate the sentiment :thumbsup: Also I do like original features and think this renovation will consist of removing one or two, reinstating a few more, stripping back to reveal hidden features and enhancing what is there already.

However I tip my hat to your gun-ho attitude to demo work. I have seen the pictures of your pad and they are amazing. Our pad will not look as futuristic as your smashing gaff but will look amazing nonetheless.... I hope :smashin:

You are far too kind Weegie, and it's amazing what a wide angle lens can do Lol. :thumbsup:

You may get down with all the dust and mess, but believe me it is so worth the hassle when you eventually get to sit back and admire it all with a glass of your favourite in hand to toast it ! Thing is, after about five years the place needs redecorating AGAIN !! That ain't so hard to swallow lol !!:thumbsup:

You are far too kind Weegie, and it's amazing what a wide angle lens can do Lol. :thumbsup:

You may get down with all the dust and mess, but believe me it is so worth the hassle when you eventually get to sit back and admire it all with a glass of your favourite in hand to toast it ! Thing is, after about five years the place needs redecorating AGAIN !! That ain't so hard to swallow lol !!:thumbsup:

I cannot tell you how I much I am looking forward to getting back to sitting on my fat lazy behind. I am dreaming of a Saturday and Sunday that I can spend drinking a Bud, eating Salt n Vinegar peanuts (I know you canae take the weegie out of the man! - but I love them), chip n dip, watching my blu-ray boxset of LOST. Its one of the few things that keep me going!

I also have to suppress the knowledge that I have another 10 rooms to do and one of them being the hallway which at one point is about 20ft high :eek::suicide::facepalm:

HELP! :lease: :devil:

All,

Looking for some advice.
As you can see from last post with photos I have created a rather monumental hole in ceiling in the alcove.

I want/need to create a stud frame to hold up the plasterboard and a skim of plaster. At a later date this frame will also be used to hold a projector screen (just so you know the plan)

What size wood do you recommend I use for the frame?

Thanks
Col

For wee framing like that, I'd generally use 38x63 CLS.
Never put up a projector frame, but have done loads of alcove renovations and wee nooks for tellys and similar using CLS at this size. A lot of it in a house of the same vintage as yours.

Widely available (BnQ etc) and its easy stuff to work with.:smashin:

Can I make a statement/ask a question:

1) When attaching the wood to the brick work do I just use screws (not sure what length) and rawl-plugs or is there something better to use?

2) I assume when attaching the wood each other that I just use nails rather than screws?

I hate not knowing simple things like this but bear with me and I will get there.

Thanks
Col

One other question.
As I have stated, I plan on putting a projector screen in the alcove at some point. I plan on creating a box to house the screen when not being used in the alcove.

I was thinking about also putting up (before the gyproc) some 10 or 12mm MDF or chipboard to give the screws, when I do create the screen housing, something to fix onto.

Is this a sensible idea?

Thanks Col

Can I make a statement/ask a question:

1) When attaching the wood to the brick work do I just use screws (not sure what length) and rawl-plugs or is there something better to use?

2) I assume when attaching the wood each other that I just use nails rather than screws?

I hate not knowing simple things like this but bear with me and I will get there.

Thanks
Col

Wood to brick (cls) 4"X10 screws with brown wall plugs and a 7mm masonry drill bit. You can use concrete screws which are easier..
Joining timber, screws or nails... If you measure wrong screws are easier to take apart..

John...

Looking forward to seeing more photos and progress :) I know what you mean about needing time off from all the work. I got builders to do all the work in my house but I did all the decorating and it seemed like all I was doing was doing my normal job and then in any spare time decorating.

JohnG said:
Looking forward to seeing more photos and progress :) I know what you mean about needing time off from all the work. I got builders to do all the work in my house but I did all the decorating and it seemed like all I was doing was doing my normal job and then in any spare time decorating.

Thanks man hopefully more progress an photos to be up loaded after the weekend where it will look like I have die very little... But too me will be loads :)

Dancook said:
I've played The Sims, I know what 'Woohoo' is... I am disappointed.

If only redecorating a room in real life was as simple as it is in The Sims...

But to be Honest my "Woohoo" was merely because I am a simple man with simple needs and love threads with pictures... Think that says quite a lot about me! :)

Hey All,

Latest update...

Since knocking down the alcove I have bought the wood, boards and gyproc, screws & rawl plugs.

I also bought some new tools :devil::devil::devil: as well as buying new tools got a chance to use some tools I got at Christmas for the first time. I got a MacAllister SDS drill for my christmas and this has been amazing. I started using the normal drill bits with the SDS drill using the chuck, but that was not working properly. So a quick trip to screwfix and got myself an SDS tool kit for £15.. It has been awesome.

I also got to use my MacAllister Compound Mitre saw for the first time in ages... Feckin love it!

I also bought 3 x site lights because they are good to have and have used them in the livingroom but are for when I have to do work in the loft or under the ground floor with insulation.

Finally I have also bought a 24L air compressor from eBay. It is used but seems in good working order and the guy I bought it from was local so went to collect it. He was a young lad but really helpful and gave me advice on what I need to get for it.

So what have I been up to I hear you all ask....

Well I have finally finally finished the stripping cornice around the room, which is great as it is time and effort intensive. However, bad news, I need to strip the ceiling rose, this is proving a real pain as the paste does not want to stay on the rose. There are a few reasons for this - gravity, obviously, but on the cornice some of that was on the ceiling and never had this problem. However I think the main problem is I used Peel Away 7 to being with, which was not very good but has loosened the paint and made it slightly flakey which is causing the peel away to... well peel away. My plan for this is to use parcel tape instead of masking tape to hold it in place. No guarantees but we shall see what happens.

However mainly this week I have been working on the alcove and boxing in the hole I created when I... ahmmm... removed the original feature (everyone calm down... We have been over this!!! :rolleyes:). Anyway as this is the first time I have done this it took me about 4 hours on Tuesday night and about 8-9hrs on Saturday.... :blush:

I bought/used
- CLS 38x63x2400 mm timbers to create the framework.
- 15mm chipboard
- 12.5mm soundbloc gyproc.

I installed the chipbaord as I plan on buying/installing projector screen later and as I am not sure where its fixings will be the plan is that the chipboard will provide a fixing for this.... That is the theory anyway.

We also got soundbloc gyproc in a hope it will reduce noise. I am not necessarily convinced this will make an difference to normal gyproc but SWMBO'd thought it would work so who am I to argue... She is the brains I am the brawn!!!

Anyway I am chuffed (with one exception) of how it has turned out. When you look at the final boxed in results you will see there is a lip before it gets to the picture rail. If you look this lip it is narrow at one end compared to the other. Which is very weird as I was spirit levelling this all the way through but something has obviously went wrong somewhere. I am not sure how I can fix this, if at all. We have a plasterer coming to give it a skim in a few weeks once I have finished off the other alcove and maybe he can build it out to make it straight but not sure if that will be possible.

So I have written enough rubbish here... Time to enjoy what you have all come here for:

EDIT: Picture 11 shows me cutting the chipboard. However I have discovered over the years I cannot cut a straightline even if my life depended on it. So used my trusty clamps and off cut of CLS to give me a straight edge... Very impressived with my wee (Okay big) self!!!

Attachments

• NewToy-1.jpg
    NewToy-1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 244
  • NewToy-2.jpg
    NewToy-2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 252
  • NewToy-3.jpg
    NewToy-3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 245
  • NewToy-4.jpg
    NewToy-4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 236
  • ceilingrose-1.jpg
    ceilingrose-1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 245
  • LR_Alcove-1.jpg
    LR_Alcove-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 238
  • LR_Alcove-2.jpg
    LR_Alcove-2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 243
  • LR_Alcove-3.jpg
    LR_Alcove-3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 245
  • LR_Alcove-4.jpg
    LR_Alcove-4.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 234
  • LR_Alcove-5.jpg
    LR_Alcove-5.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 240
  • LR_Alcove-6.jpg
    LR_Alcove-6.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 233
  • LR_Alcove-7.jpg
    LR_Alcove-7.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 235
  • LR_Alcove-8.jpg
    LR_Alcove-8.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 243
  • LR_Alcove-9.jpg
    LR_Alcove-9.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 234
  • LR_Alcove-10.jpg
    LR_Alcove-10.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 234
  • LR_Alcove-11.jpg
    LR_Alcove-11.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
The plan next is to finish off the other alcove and finish the ceiling rose. I am also doing work in the gardens (weather permitting) but my wife has requested I do not take pictures of this as she is worried about our house being identified... Probably for the best. However I might try and take a few of the small outhouses/sheds.

More updates in a wee bit.

Last edited:
There is an awful lot of work to do (I think you already know this!) but it is a beautiful house and will be a great home when you are finished.
Very nice.

Hey All…

I have not posted for a while as things have been really busy both at work, DIY-ing and training.

I did a bit of training with a few mates as we signed up for the cycle for Scotland, which is a 50mile cycle from Glasgow to Livingston. Was difficult and proper hardcore (we are all fairly unfit) but really enjoyed despite how difficult it was and plan is to do it next year. Oh we also raised over £1000 for Maggie Centres so that was a nice one as well.

So my new job is pretty manic which has hindered my progress in the livingroom. However my old man and wee bro have tried to help where they can, unfortunately, as I said, none of us have a trade so it makes for some funny solutions but they seem to be working so far.

“So what has taken up so much time!” I hear you ask….

Well allow me to fill you all in. The large alcove where my TV is going to end up, has now been filled completely. It took me and my dad a whole day to figure out the best way to put all the panels up as the wall is fairly uneven in the thickness of the lathe and plaster, combined with some bricks sticking out slightly, this all made for some funny cuts and different thicknesses of plasterboard but we got there.

The other alcove has been done in a less than normal approach (I think!). It is hard to see from the photos but on the left hand panel I have had to leave the plasterboard off (that is not the “hard to see part”) as a channel has been left up the back for some electrics to be run for a couple of downlighters. The electrician is coming tomorrow/today to do this, as well as moving a lot of electrical sockets and creating some new points as well.

I took some pictures of the floor, which you cannot really see but there is a black tinge to the floorboards. There was from some sort of carpet, tar, glue welded to the floor and it took me, my dad and bro 2 full days to move the worst of it. Ended up using paint stripper, scrapers, more stripper and a whole lot of wire wool… Looks a lot better and floor sanding guy says the worst has been removed so good news.

Two finally the ceiling rose… AKA my nemesis. I am about to throw in the towel on this one and give it up. I cannot make the peel away stick and it is not working as well as it has done on the cornice round the room…. Lastly another new toy, a DIY hoover, cost me a bit more than I had hoped but it works well. I was hoping to be able to attach it to my power tools but I do not have the attachments to seemingly be able to do this… Is that something you can?

Anyway… Enough typing… Here are the photos!

Attachments

• LivRm-25.jpg
    LivRm-25.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 232
  • LivRm-26.jpg
    LivRm-26.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 217
  • LivRm-27.jpg
    LivRm-27.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 214
  • LivRm-28.jpg
    LivRm-28.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 217
  • LivRm-29.jpg
    LivRm-29.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 214
  • LivRm-30.jpg
    LivRm-30.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 215
  • LivRm-31.jpg
    LivRm-31.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 224
  • LivRm-33.jpg
    LivRm-33.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 221
  • LivRm-35.jpg
    LivRm-35.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 217
  • LivRm-36.jpg
    LivRm-36.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 218
  • LivRm-37.jpg
    LivRm-37.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 210
  • LivRm-38.jpg
    LivRm-38.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 210
  • LivRm-39.jpg
    LivRm-39.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 239
  • LivRm-40.jpg
    LivRm-40.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 219
  • LivRm-41.jpg
    LivRm-41.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 207
  • LivRm-42.jpg
    LivRm-42.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 205
  • newtoy3.jpg
    newtoy3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 222
Hi All,

Latest Update:

Electrician has been and nearly completed all his work. He moved the electrical points from where they were, in the wooden skirting’s, to above the wood and into the wall. When the wood restorers come out they will fill these holes left behind and once the wax goes on the wood the holes should also be unnoticeable.

We also have a sunken floor hub installed, which when complete will house 2 x Dbl plug points and 4xnetwork connections. I suggested this and was even more surprised when my wife agreed to it, thought it would be a defo “no that is ugly!”. Reason, in our previous property we had a similar sized livingroom and constantly had cables trailing from nearest wall point under sofas and network cables coming from nearest switch/port point, which looks very untidy. This plug point should sit under the sofa and be very handy for our laptops.

My next tasks are to fill the holes from the dado rail I removed and smooth off. Mount centre speaker brackets and run speaker cable… Thanks to AVdub for the word “Grommet”. Having seen other responses to my questions about Grommets I may or may not use them.

I do have a question – When I pulled off the dado rail it was held on with screws, nails (which created most of the holes) as well as silicon (evil). What is the best, easiest way to remove excess silicon? I was hoping sanding would do it but has had little effect.

Anyway here are some photos of what I have done and has been done:

Attachments

• AVsetup-1.jpg
    AVsetup-1.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 226
  • AVsetup-2.jpg
    AVsetup-2.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 220
  • AVsetup-3.jpg
    AVsetup-3.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 226
  • AVsetup-4.jpg
    AVsetup-4.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 206
  • AVsetup-5.jpg
    AVsetup-5.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 220
  • AVsetup-6.jpg
    AVsetup-6.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 223
  • LivRm-43.jpg
    LivRm-43.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 213
  • LivRm-44.jpg
    LivRm-44.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 208
  • LivRm-45.jpg
    LivRm-45.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 225
  • LivRm-46.jpg
    LivRm-46.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 247
  • LivRm-47.jpg
    LivRm-47.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 202
  • LivRm-48.jpg
    LivRm-48.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 214
  • LivRm-49.jpg
    LivRm-49.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 213
A sharp wall paper scraper the type with a replaceable 4" blade should make easy work of the silicone. Sometimes it will just peel of if you pull at one end.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom