My Home Theatre - with floating 4k screen

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE May 2023
This room was built way back in 2013 and has now dramatically changed in my second attempt which can be found here...

But you can also see some limited pics in the second post below. Thanks for following and I hope it helps in your build.

The Room

When I moved in, the garage had been tastfully converted to an all white play room with some lovely porcelain tiles and gloss white cabinets. As you can tell from some of the pics - very reflective and shiny!

It has been done extremely nicely and was tempted just to turn it into a games room (pool table and a big flat screen on wall) but I've been longing for a dedicated cinema room for years so a games room/gym will have to wait and will be an outhouse build, hopefully later on this year.

DSC_0120.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG
DSC_0122.JPG
DSC_0128.JPG
DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

Great storage but it has to go as it's the best place for the screen.

I've tried to take shots that show the angles moving around the room.

The room is very bright at moment both visually and acoustically.

The Objective

Bit concerned about the acoustics in it's current state but the walls are plasterboard and very well insulated but sadly as I mentioned, that lovely Porcelain flooring is going to have to go or at least be covered.

As there is a Mrs X :facepalm: there are some compromises :mad:and that's to keep at least two of the cupboards for storage and the spare shower room/cloakroom at the back (even though it's never used)

Would have loved to have got rid of both for a bigger screen but alas :nono:

So primary objective is a warm, plush family room with great acoustics and picture. Will discuss kit later.

Last edited:
Place holder for final pics gallery

LATEST AND NEW PICS WILL BE ADDED HERE

DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG
DSC_0065.JPG

UPDATE May 2023
This room was built way back in 2013 and has now dramatically changed in my second attempt which can be found in the link in post one. But here it what it look like now 10 years later

IMG_3470.jpeg
IMG_3459.jpeg
IMG_3457.jpeg
IMG_3444.jpeg
IMG_3425.jpeg
IMG_3412.jpeg
IMG_3390.jpeg
IMG_2999.jpeg
IMG_2321.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally was going to have the screen hidden in the ceiling and have it drop down in front of a TV. 2 issues with this -

1) Because of the cloakroom at the back and the fact I want a screen that is 100+ in size, I need to maximise viewing distance. The cupboards are really deep so I need to reclaim that space.

2) What you can't see in the pic is that about .5 m in front of the cupboards there is a step. Everyone that has visited the house has tripped down it at some stage. So what I want to do is make a feature of it and less dangerous.

Will get some plans up later. Thanks

Last edited:
Just looked at your pics again and found that step! odd they didn't just level out the floor.

Have you decided on what equipment you'll be using?

By taking the middle cupboards out and having more floor space, it should be less of an issue and more of a feature. At least that's the plan!

Also the plan is now to have a fixed screen as don't really need a TV.

Last edited:
Just looked at your pics again and found that step! odd they didn't just level out the floor.

Have you decided on what equipment you'll be using?

Taken months thinking about kit!

Initially I was looking at BIG floor standers and I'm a big PMC and B&W fan.
However after months of researching and planning, I then decided that I really want to keep the room minimalist and hide the speakers.

Thought about customised in walls but in the end I'm now going for some Artcoustics.

Couldn't find too much about them on the web or this forum but what I did find made me want to audition and lets just say I was blown away, literally! From being sceptical to counting the days until they arrive!

The Kit (so far!)

3 x Artcoustic spitfire 6-3's
2 x Artcoustic Diablos
Artcoustic Spitfire Sub
Onkyo 818 AV Amp
Sony 790 Blu ray player
JVC X55 Projector/w 3D pack
Screen Excellence 4k Screen
Fibre Optic HDMI Cable (4k compat)
3 x Rako RLED50
2 x Rako RDL250
Rako RCS07-SS keypad
Rako Bridge
Sky HD, Gaming consoles, Apple TV and possibly Sonos (Onkyo has it built in so will play with that first)

In my current lounge I've got an ArcamAVR600 and some B&W's. Was tempted to use the Amp (as I love it) but apart from it not being 3D, the Onkyo will provide more customising and sonic adjustments in the room.

4k or not 4k?

Now without opening a huge debate on 4k or straight to 8k :p, I want my room NOW :) so I've decided to spend as much as I can on the Projector and Screen and go as "future proof" as possible with these and the cabling. The screen has only recently been announced and is capable of 4k. The Onkyo and Sony both upscale to 4K (I'll be using a 4k capable fibre HDMI) and my thoughts are that the Amp and DVD can easily be upgraded in the future and won't break the bank now :smashin:

Last edited:
Plan.jpg
Screen.jpg
Plan of room and speakers behind acoustic transparent 4k screen (L,SB,C,R)

Last edited:
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG
DSC_0132.JPG
End single cupboards removed and replaced with Double Cupboards. Doors off and will be sent to an upholsterer. Need to repave the hard gloss finish with something softer.

Big ugly radiator removed! Pipes to be shifted along in wall to the end and replace with vertical (designer rad)

IMG_1127.JPG

Last edited:
will be running 2 spare ethernet Cat6 to projector (just in case!) and the Celerity Fibre Optic HDMI.

IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG

Obvious statement for fibre optic BUT....... this stuff is thin!:eek: :thumbsup:

Specification of Celerity Fibre Optic HDMI cables

Supported distance up to 305m
Supported resolutions 3D, 4K, 1080p, 720p, 480p
Supported features HDMI High Speed, HDCP, EDID, CEC, Deep Colour
Audio Return Channel: Yes
LED status indicator at TX & RX HDMI connectors, powered LED verifies system connectivity
Power TX: 5V DC 0.5W, RX: 5V DC 0.5W
Fibre optic cable pull strength 26kg
Fibre optic plug dimension 7 x 9 x 25 mm
HDMI connector dimension 8 x 20 x 28 mm

Last edited:
Nice work in progress, you certainly have enough space to work with and it will all be worth it once completed. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dean, hope to post day 2 pics tomorrow.

Certainly an interesting thread, has the potential to be fantastic.

With the step down, did you consider putting a false floor to fill in? I see you were keeping the cupboards, so you'd need to lose a bit off the bottom of the doors, but if they're being upholstered anyway, an ideal time. That way, you have potential for lots of cables etc hidden underfloor, but with access if you left a panel.

Just a thought.

Cheers for your comments Orson

Yep certainly did think about the levelling the step out and as you say, would certainly be the best time to do it. However wanted to do some subtle light effects around the room and thought some LEDs hidden into the step would make a nice feature and hopefully more "theatre like". I hope so anyway!

The steps been more of an issue because of its very sharp edge with the porcelain tiles. Haven't quite decided what sort of trim will go across the lip but as it's going to now be think carpet I hoping I've gone for the right option.

With the wires, I hoping there won't be a single one in sight. The rears will be chased through walls then into the ceiling along with the projector wires and all should then dome down the existing front wall where the centre cabinets used to be and will then be hidden by the fixed screen and then into an AV cabinet.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Mr X said:
Cheers for your comments Orson

Yep certainly did think about the levelling the step out and as you say, would certainly be the best time to do it. However wanted to do some subtle light effects around the room and thought some LEDs hidden into the step would make a nice feature and hopefully more "theatre like". I hope so anyway!

The steps been more of an issue because of its very sharp edge with the porcelain tiles. Haven't quite decided what sort of trim will go across the lip but as it's going to now be think carpet I hoping I've gone for the right option.

With the wires, I hoping there won't be a single one in sight. The rears will be chased through walls then into the ceiling along with the projector wires and all should then dome down the existing front wall where the centre cabinets used to be and will then be hidden by the fixed screen and then into an AV cabinet.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Hi, if the tiles are staying then I guess the smooth edge (gripper rods) will be stuck with Morales or Gripfill, just make sure they are cut to 6" strips and double banked (two rows) unless of Course this beautiful floor is being ripped up?
Gonna be a fab room no doubt about it.

Hi, if the tiles are staying then I guess the smooth edge (gripper rods) will be stuck with Morales or Gripfill, just make sure they are cut to 6" strips and double banked (two rows) unless of Course this beautiful floor is being ripped up?
Gonna be a fab room no doubt about it.

Thanks for the tip!
Yeah the tiles will be carefully preserved and fully intact underneath underlay and thick carpet - just in case! You can't tell from the pics but they really are lovely (and shiny!) as is the tiled skirting. In some ways its a great shame to get rid as they also flow into the hallway, (main entrance) kicthen and utility (door at rear)

It took me a looooong time to convince Mrs X that this was the right way to go. Although I could have got a big rug, it just would have been a greater shame not to make the most of this opportunity and address the room acoustically.

Mr X said:
Thanks for the tip!
Yeah the tiles will be carefully preserved and fully intact underneath underlay and thick carpet - just in case! You can't tell from the pics but they really are lovely (and shiny!) as is the tiled skirting. In some ways its a great shame to get rid as they also flow into the hallway, (main entrance) kicthen and utility (door at rear)

It took me a looooong time to convince Mrs X that this was the right way to go. Although I could have got a big rug, it just would have been a greater shame not to make the most of this opportunity and address the room acoustically.

I personally would look at maybe cloud 9 underlay or even some of the Tredaire rubber backed, rubber backed is good acoustically but I feel your current floor is very dense due to the tiles layed on concrete? so the Cloud 9 would suit, try not to get underlay over 11mm thickness as this sits higher up than the gripper, which in turn makes the carpet less likely to hold on the gripper.
As the tiles are shiny you may have a little trouble getting the Gripfill etc... To get a firm adhesion. Double bank gripper all round so you get a good fix.
Gripfill or No nails give 24hrs to cure but Morales is useable within the hour.
Carpet fitter by trade, no longer a full time job but still keep my hand in.

Subscribed to follow.
All the best bud.

Darrell

Well I'm sure glad you saw my thread! Thanks for the top advice! Well defo be asking all the relevant questions now when I come to choosing the carpet! Thanks again Darrell, much appreciated!

Mr X said:
Well I'm sure glad you saw my thread! Thanks for the top advice! Well defo be asking all the relevant questions now when I come to choosing the carpet! Thanks again Darrell, much appreciated!

No prob mate :)

The 2 entrance doors will have new upholstery with a soft fabric finish to match the cupboards.

The door to the shower room will be completely renewed with a flush fit in attempt to hide/blend in with wall covering.

The other job today was to measure all skirting in order to make new covers which will then be spray painted the same colour as door frames. Bit late tonight so will post some pics of those tomorrow.

Door to main entrance...

IMG_1125.JPG

Cloakroom door which will be replaced - frame no longer needed as will flush mount

IMG_1126.JPG

Last edited:
:mad:Hit the first problem today :(

Had planned to turn the big ugly radiator into a vertical feature piece by running the pipes into the wall and chasing along. Unfortunately, stripping back the plaster board revealed that there just wasn't the depth needed unless it goes into the external brickwork of an outside wall :(

Not only would this add time/money but more importantly with it being an external wall, even with lagging I would worry about it freezing.

So, going to have to go for a horizontal to replace the huge 1.8m rad that was removed. Really did want a vertical but will now look for a slimmer and low profile option. Needs to be slim as the seating I've ordered is massive!

Skirting

As mentioned previously tiled skirting to be replaced. Whoever did them, did a great job and shame to cover them but should be worth it in the end. Won't be fitted just yet but all the panels now cut and labelled up to fit like so...

IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG

The above shows a close up of the step. Will come back to that when the LED's have been inset.

With the centre stack of cupboards removed there is now and 15mm difference with tiled flooring (not shown) which will have to be built up and levelled.

One of the first things I did when I moved in was to pay an installer (not Sky!) to do a very discreet Sky install into the room. Have to say he was brilliant, Sky wouldn't do the install anyway due to the pitch of my roof but in short I have a dish on the roof hidden by the chimney (very hard to see) and not a single wire in sight (externally or internally. Did I mention I hate seeing wires! :p) feeding 3 1TB boxes which in turn then feed all around the house via HD ethernet baluns in the loft. Anyway - Left the cable very long at the time until I had decided on room layout, so this now works perfectly for the AV cabinet.

There was already a PIR/CCTV camera in the garage, pic below. It's all linked into the alarm and CCTV system so will keep this in situ and just hide the cabling as doesn't really cause any issues and quite handy as I can use iPhone/ipad to see what the kids are up to when I'm not there! ;)

IMG_1131.JPG

Ready for lots of cabling and holes tomorrow!

Last edited:
Subscribed!

That fibre HDMI is £££ :eek:

True but not as £££ as having to redo the room :D This is going to have last some time before I do it again! Cheers:smashin:

OK very busy days of holes in the ceiling and lots and lots of cables...

(Sorry pics were taken with my iphone today so bit blurred or squashed in places)

IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG

Outlet and wires ready for the JVC X55
IMG_1154.JPG

One of the rears

IMG_1141.JPG

Just Hit Second Issue

OK if you look carefully at this pic you will see the speakers and sub drawn out along with the AV cabinet and the outline of the screen.

IMG_1140.JPG

Having checked the spec of the sub, it's a whopping 30KG :eek: and bit worried that existing wall is just not going to take it. It's touch and go at very best.

So bit more work required now that wasn't anticipated. Going to get 2 MDF panels cut and bolster onto the front. That way no issue or future issues as sub will be rock solid.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom