1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My home theatre/hi-fi set up

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by G.C.H., Jan 15, 2005.

1. G.C.H.

G.C.H.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody...
    This is my home set-up, just about fully completed now. Below is a list of the components and why I specifically chose them, starting with the amp processor which is Sonys STA-VA777ES. I chose this at the time for its sound quality in both hi-fi and home cinema, the output is rated by Sony as 120 watts x 5 which in real terms is probably around the 100 watts per chanel RMS, but with the Velodyne active sub provides more than enough power if necessary to rattle a few dentures, whilst on the subject of the sub this has been slightly modified by myself as it came originally with plastic feet only and did not provide a stable platform, so as you can see from the picture, I created my own with a base plate as well, as this sub has a forward firing 10" driver but also a 12" auxiallary bass radiator or ABR for short firing downwards, the idea of the plate being to reflect out into the room rather than mostly being absorbed by the carpet for instance, previous to this sub I had a Rel, very good but does not extend or have quite the clout of the Velodyne. The front left and right speakers are Mission 753 Freedoms, rear speakers are Missions M72's on Mission stands, the centre speaker is Mordaunt Shorts T1000 which unusually is also a good tonal match for the front speakers. Other components in my set up are Sonys D777ES DAB tuner, Sonys MD-JA20ES mini disc recorder, Marantz CD17KI Mk2 CD player, this machine is built like a battle ship and is probably one of the best sounding CD players between £1000-£2000, there is also in my set up Sky Sat receiver and X Box which in Dolby Digital is fantastic. My latest acquisition is Pioneers DV868AVI DVD/SACD player/DVD audio player, this machine, apart from playing every format available to date has what I consider the all important HDMI output which when fed to my projector produces probably some of the most cinematic pictures available in the home today, the projector is Yamahas DPX1000 DLP projector (my most costly single piece of kit - £8000 ouch), this projector is not only capable of just about every format available today, it is also future protected as it is capable of running hi-definition, it also has Feroudja processing and more features than I can mention, this is firing onto a Draper Onyx 16.9 84" hi-definition screen. I have the DVD players video output connected directly to my projector via HDMI DVI and running at 720 progressive, this produces one of the best pictures available on DVD at the moment, all this equipment is connected via high quality cabling from the likes of Vanden-hull, QED, monster etc, speakers are bi-wired and a mains distribution block which also protects from surges and cleans up the mains supply, subtle but effective, just incase someone mentions the light in the room, there are blackout blinds there, you cant see them as they are rolled up, and last of all - all of this equipment is controlled by a Philips Pronto Pro...............Total cost of this little project to date including cables is around £18000 at present

Hope your still awake to see the pictures, sorry about the quality only there taken on a camcorders memory stick

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      Size:
      79 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      Size:
      80.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      Size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      Size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      Size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      Size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      Size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      Size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      Size:
      82.9 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      Size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
  2. darren_fisher

darren_fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two words - very nice. which i had the moeny to buy this sort of kit, how long did it taketo build it up?

3. G.C.H.

G.C.H.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren,
    Thanks for your comments. I guess going through the various up-grade processes, i.e., large tv, rear projection, various amps, speakers etc., around about 10-12 years, trouble is it doesnt stop here, you just keep on going I suppose

4. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Nice set up! In picture 8-where did you get the stand for the bass?

5. G.C.H.

G.C.H.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ewan,
    Many thanks......The stand is an integral part of the subwoofer which I made myself. It originally came with four plastic feet which were practically useless. I made it from two sheets of MDF bonded together, the supports are 1 inch tubular steel which are bolted from the base through the supports into the subwoofer. I've also added floor spikes. The results are slightly tighter bass response and output. Total cost was about £20 including paint, not bad I suppose

6. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Does the base stands stop the base vibrating throught the floor?

7. BM Noor

BM Noor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren,
    I am newcamer on this site, your home theatre set-up is very nice, what is your amply branded currently use for your home theatre and also the spaeakers?
    Best Regards,
    BM Noor

8. Tom_1234

Tom_1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    looks very nice

9. - johnyc -

- johnyc -