My Home Theatre (garage conversion) PIC HEAVY!

Great thread mate, plenty of inspiration in here.

Can I ask which projector mount did you buy?

Thanks buddy. Appreciate the kind words. Only paying back to all those that inspired me in the first place :)
I bought the peerless av projector mount. Great piece of kit and highly recommended. Geared adjustment so very precise. My only gripe is the rotation adjustment still requires loosening the big joist mount screws to turn it if it's not square to the screen.
You can overcome this if you buy the extension bar to lower the projector but that didn't suit me....and they're like rocking horse poo to source!

Great build. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy!!

Those lights are gorgeous!

WOW !!! Those wall lights are ace ! The lights really highlight the lovely paint colour. Fantastic work matey :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:beer::beer:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
ImageUploadedByAVForums1440246197.796951.jpg

From Amazon :)

Not the cheapest out there but the effect was worth it I think ;)

Hey gill, sorry bud but I have more questions ! :) Firstly, have you watched an atmos encoded blu ray yet, and if so, how are your canton ceiling speakers performing? I will be buying a pair of ceiling speakers soon, so just wanted some real life feedback on what you think of atmos, and the pseudo atmos.

Am I right in saying that you have 7.1.2 system? I will be doing 5.1.2 but I have no idea how this will sound. In 5.1.2, the ceiling height speakers will be slightly in front of the main listening position, and probably about 300mm in from each side wall. Wide dispersion speakers are the key I think.

James :thumbsup:

Hi there again. Been out for a few drinks so forgive the grammar errors.
I've been waiting for a few new Atmos capable amps to trial. Particularly the Yamaha Rx-A3050. Up until now I haven't had them firing :( It is, However, a 7.2.2 system (is that real?)
Basically 2 front, 2 side, 2 rears, 1 centre, 2 subs and 2 ceiling. I have a couple of Atmos blu Rays ready so I'll keep you posted once I get the right amp :)

You have 2 subs in there?

Yes mate. Only one plugged in right now til I sort my new amp :D

It's gonna sound awesome mate ! Have you narrowed down your AVR choice yet? I will no doubt get a new denon :)

Thanks matey :)
Yeah think it will be the Denon or the Yam when it finally comes out

Only just seen this, smashing room. Couple of questions if I may:

Do you find the door gets lit up during bright scenes in a movie...to a noticeable point?

Other than budget was there any reason you didn't go for 4 in-ceiling speakers (for Atmos etc)?

Thanks bud.

I'll be totally honest. Don't notice the door reflecting whatsoever but then I'm never looking to the sides. The only thing, easily fixed, that I do notice is the reflection from the glass coffee table. A simple throw cloth during movies will sort that. The other thing I notice is light bleed around the edge of the door and have been meaning to get some foam strip to tape to around the door frame.

RE: 4 Ceiling speakers. Nothing to do with budget honestly.

The room is long and narrow (about 10ft wide by 17ft long) so already not the ideal shape. Wasn't going to go mad to try and include the 2nd pair of atmos.

Also, having 4 would have meant an additional amp from pre-outing 2 more channels (as far as I'm aware). Still waiting to buy the atmos amp so I cannot tell you how good or bad it sounds yet ;)

7.1 does sound absolutely amazing though :)

The room is long and narrow (about 10ft wide by 17ft long) so already not the ideal shape. Wasn't going to go mad to try and include the 2nd pair of atmos.

Also, having 4 would have meant an additional amp from pre-outing 2 more channels (as far as I'm aware). Still waiting to buy the atmos amp so I cannot tell you how good or bad it sounds yet ;)

7.1 does sound absolutely amazing though :)
My room is probably pretty much the same width, and a little bit shorter, and I am still pondering over the 2 vs 4 Atmos in-ceiling speakers, but I don't have room for rears on the wall, so I wil probably just go with the 4 anyway.

The Yamaha RX-A3050 is 9.2 channel, so you could do 5.2.4, but I forgot you had those two rear surrounds on the back wall:rolleyes:. I always used to get distracted by my white door, but it is adjacent to the screen wall, right in the corner. Do you plan to lower your rear Kef speakers or are they sufficiently angled down so as not to get mixed up with the Atmos channels? I guess you can experiment when you get the new amp.

Hey.

Yeah the door is far back enough from the wall, about 1/3 the room length back so I honestly don't notice it at all.

Yes, that is the exact amp I've been planning on getting to replace my ageing SC-LX82!!
Indeed, have the full 9 channels spoken for so only way to get 7.2.4 would be an external amp, supposedly to power the front two channels alone. Too much. Next house, bigger, wider room hopefully but no rush ;)

Another big consideration was the amount of 7.1 Blurays I have and just how many atmos discs I'd end up with....made sense to have the rear two instead of an additional two ceiling speakers?

And finally, indeed. I placed those two up high and the bracket that comes with them let me angle them perfectly pointing to the seating position. I needed them high as I have now put up disc shelving right underneath them against the side of both back walls. Measured to perfection (insert pat on back here) :)

Hey.

Another big consideration was the amount of 7.1 Blurays I have and just how many atmos discs I'd end up with....made sense to have the rear two instead of an additional two ceiling speakers?
Very good point; I'm same in as much as I have lots of 7.1 BD's, although I think the rear surrounds don't necessarily have so much impact on some of them (I watched Gone Girl the other week, and didn't really notice the rears, for example, maybe once during the whole movie.....maybe that was the intention though, for the overall sound:blush:).

I don't know if it's better for me to go with a Atmos set up rather than a 'far from ideal 7.1.2' (my existing rears are already in-ceiling, so I've probably got to go 5.1.4, or 5.1.2, as I don't think using the existing in-ceilings as rear surrounds, with a pair of in-ceilings slightly in front of the listening position for the 'Atmos channels' in a 7.1.2 setup is going to work, but I know it's never going to be switchable channel assignments on the typical AV receiver I can afford), although THX views were to keep 7.x.2 in preference to 5.x.4, for the best overall sound, but as my 7.1 set up is already a compromise, I'm still leaning towards going with 5.1.4 and losing out on the rear channels on 7.1 BD's, especially as current 'Atmos-owners' are saying the 'up-scaling' of normal HD-audio to Atmos is quite effective.

I'll be very interested to hear your views on Atmos when it's all up and running. I need to save the pennies for a bit before I can afford a new receiver.
Measured to perfection (insert pat on back here) :)
:clap:

Yes agreed. A LOT of experts will tell you to sort out your 5.1 instead of going mad.
Must say though, maybe not Gone Girl but most 7.1 blurays I've watched have a very lively rear two channels. Tron Legacy is an great one [emoji106]

Probably the wrong place to ask but anyone doing good deals on the Yamaha 3050 receiver that peeps have seen?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom