My Home Theatre (garage conversion) PIC HEAVY!

jimsgill

Sorry. Just seen the ps. No mate. Sofa (temp seating) is about 4-5 feet from the back wall.

porscheman

I was surprised what a difference moving my sofa forward slightly made. The surround rears have come alive ! However, I cannot move the sofa too far out from the back wall due to the door into the garage from the house :(

jimsgill

Wasn't happy with the look so managed to grab some nice cable sleeping to 'finish it' :)
ImageUploadedByAVForums1437331374.758067.jpg

porscheman

Super tidy install matey ! Love the white copex ! :):thumbsup:

ChristovJN

Gorgeous and effective use of space - kudos

porscheman

Anyone know where I can buy a 10 metre long hdmi cable? I understand that over longer cable lengths, the hdmi cable has to be a bit special, but I cannot remember the full details ! :rotfl::rolleyes::)

jimsgill

I have the receipt at home somewhere for where I bought my 15 metre one. I'll dig it out if I remember later.
Works a treat with 3D but I did run a couple of cat6 cables with it just in case ;)

searchme

Banned
Anyone know where I can buy a 10 metre long hdmi cable? I understand that over longer cable lengths, the hdmi cable has to be a bit special, but I cannot remember the full details ! :rotfl::rolleyes::)
I bought mine from a big online retailer not sure if I can mention the name however. Bought 20m cables and they haven't failed me yet. £1 per m can't moan at that. They are rated high speed also.

TomSweep

Novice Member
The workmanship in this build is outstanding! The cable dropout for the projector is a thing of beauty.

Have you decided on your seating arrangement yet?

jimsgill

I've stuck a couch in there at the moment and it's doing the job if a little 'ugly' in the grand scheme. Hoping to stumble on something just right soon though :)

nuttyboy78

I have the receipt at home somewhere for where I bought my 15 metre one. I'll dig it out if I remember later.
Works a treat with 3D but I did run a couple of cat6 cables with it just in case ;)
I bought mine from a big online retailer not sure if I can mention the name however. Bought 20m cables and they haven't failed me yet. £1 per m can't moan at that. They are rated high speed also.
Would you kind chaps mind pm'ing me the details about where you got your HDMI cables as well please, as I'm looking for a 15m cable of decent quality for a similar setup?

porscheman

jmsgill, sorry bud but did you PM me about the cables? Having probs with PM and been away on holiday for 2 weeks. ! Also, what is the purpose of running cat 6 as well as HDMI for PJ please?

jimsgill

Hi mate. Sorry. No I didn't I'm afraid. Couldn't find my receipt as I'd bought the cable a couple years ago :(
Re the 2 cat6's. Followed advice while the ceiling was stripped in case a) the hdmi cable failed and b) a little future proofing as you can get 2xcat6 to hdmi adaptors. Do a google. I had to. Mind boggling all this stuff sometimes ;)

porscheman

Thx bud !! :)

porscheman

Can you please pm me the URL for the exact cable please? Is it high speed latest flavour of HDMI?

jimsgill

i think it was hdcable.co.uk

Honestly can't remember my friend. Like I said before, was a very long time ago and I can't find the receipt now :(

Plaverda

Great build thread. I'm just updating my office / mini cinema / football / sci fi room / escape the wife cave :) and have the same Kef's. What you do behind the satellites? Did you just pull the cable through a small hole in the plaster of did you put anything to stop the hole getting larger?

Thanks

jimsgill

Hi there.
Yes, I drilled the smallest hole possible and spent 10 hours fishing the cables down the gap between the blockwork and the plasterboard to get the cable out.....groan....

Then I put a small rubber grommet like you'd use for an electrical backbox to make the exit nice and tidy :)

Unfortunately it's one of the few things I did during the build that I DIDN'T take a photo of ;)

porscheman

jmsgill, sorry about all these cabling questions, but do your pair of cat 6 cables have the RJ45 connectors on? of are they un-terminated?

Cheers buddy !

jimsgill

Hey it's no bother. I was asking all the same questions when I started the room :)

I've left the 2 pairs overlength by about 3 feet at either end and unterminated right now. IF and it's a hopefully NOT if, my hdmi cable fails or becomes unreliable, that's when I'll make 'em off and get the converters on either end :)

Hope that answers your question bud

porscheman

^^^ Spot on me old mucka ! That makes it much easier as I have a 300 metre reel-in-a-box at work. I can just cut off what I need and return the remaining 280 metre reel to the data centre. :)

One of the few benefits of working in telecoms !! :thumbsup:

jimsgill

LOL. Nice one! I bought a 50m reel from Amazon. Used a lot of it as I ran cat6 points upstairs and a pair to the back of the room too for the server etc :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom