My Home Entertainment System Project

ofthelane

Established Member
Reaction score
After going round to my friend's house that has a post of his project on this forum I had to do something with my living room, to say that I was impressed with his new home entertainment system was an understatement. See his thread thefathacker

My living room is completely different although I took most of, or may I say all his ideas I suppose that's why we have these forums and yes I am very new to all this.

Now to start I had to knock down a fireplace that was built for me about 7 years ago by a bricklayer that used 4 bags of cement to build it!! Yes I know I would have been most likely able to build a new house with that amount of cement!!, so as you can quite imagine it took some hard graft to knock it down!!
Now I was given advice from my good friend thefathacker to knock down my chimney breast but after the first palaver with the fireplace I really couldn't be bothered as this was only going to be a small project!!, yes I wish I had now but I suppose hindsight got the better of me, never mind.

After all the bricks were clear I got a friend round who is a joiner and together we planned and drew out what is hopefully going to be a fantastic looking Home Entertainment System.

I've gone with the Samsung LE40A656A LCD T.V I looked at a few different TV's but I really liked this one and it's got good reviews, the bracket I bought will be too wide making the TV stick out to much then making the joiner bring out the floating wall to far, so I need to shop around for a good bracket that has a swivel on it that's not to wide (thick) any ideas links are most welcome thank you.

The rest of the cables etc have all arrived and also I've installed new speaker wire to the rear speakers in the rear corners of the living room.
I've gone with the same Amp as my friend the Denon AVR1909 which I got for a bargain of £270.00 brand new.
Well I'm up to the stage now of getting in all the cables sorting all the electrics for back lights etc now as you can see from the photos still a long way to go but I'm really looking forward to the finished article.

I will be having cupboards either side of the chimney breast to store a PC playstation 3 and any other bits and pieces, there will be one remote control a Logitech's Harmony 895 universal to do all.
Any ideas whilst I am constructing my project would be most welcome.
Thanks for looking at my thread.

Last edited:
So out with the old fireplace..

Fireplacecomingdown.jpg

And finally it's down.. Thank god.. That was hard work!! Idiot of a bricky!!!

PositionoflodTV.jpg

And ready for the work to commence..

Last edited:
And this is where Im up to today..May take a bit of time as the Joiner can only come round on Saturdays..

Stage2completebracketup.jpg

The change of height of your TV is going to take some getting used to mate.
What made you want it so high?

Hi acgwilliam...I've got three 75watt speaker manufactured by Adastra which quite frankly I've never heard of but they had great reviews so hopefully they will be O.k, they will be mounted by the side of the T.V.
I have two wall mounted speakers made by Panasonic for the rear above the couch.
Thanks for looking.

Front Speakers x 3
SideSpeakers.jpg

Rear Speaker

Looking good Larry - looking good and there is deffo no turning back now.

By the way, you should credit Groove for the floating wall concept. Every floating walll built on here in the last 18 months has been based on his me thinks.

I am watching with interest!

Great job so far!:thumbsup:

This is more suited in the DIY projects section of the forum though.:)

The change of height of your TV is going to take some getting used to mate.
What made you want it so high?

Nuwidol, I've made these comments previously on here. Although I'm by no means an expert on room design or home entertainment, my own view on TV heights is a pretty strong one - yes the viewing height is better at eye level, but when planning a room layout there is so much more to consider than just the height of the TV.

Personally, I think it is very easy to make a room look poorly planned with a TV set at eye level. For my set up, although I wanted to make the TV look as well positioned as possible, I didn't want it to dominate the room - which probably explains why I've hidden all the AV gear and was part of the process when we planned the height. (of the lane also has a cupboard 'opportunity' similar to mine!')

With that in mind - it's important that ofthelane positions the TV as HE thinks looks best. Personally, I don't find looking up by 5 or 6 degrees across 10 feet at all uncomfortable and think far too much is made of the watching position in relation to eye level!

There, you've got my opinion whether you wanted it or not! :thumbsup:

I think a lot of TV positioning depends on whether you sit in the lounge to watch TV, or watch TV occasionally whilst sitting in the lounge :). Which is why so many mention the eye level thing in these threads (being an AV forum n all!) Like everything it's just personal choice though.

Looks like you've made a good start with this one mate! Funny how fashion comes and goes, can't ever see these brick fireplaces coming back can you, but I guess they will...

Sam

Cheers Leumas..Yeah fireplaces are a thing of the past now might need it when Im old though!! lol:thumbsup:

Hi acgwilliam...I've got three 75watt speaker manufactured by Adastra which quite frankly I've never heard of but they had great reviews so hopefully they will be O.k, they will be mounted by the side of the T.V.
I have two wall mounted speakers made by Panasonic for the rear above the couch.
Thanks for looking.

Front Speakers x 3
SideSpeakers.jpg

Rear Speaker

Looking good there mate.....

What do you think of those speakers? I was thinking of getting a pair for my rears in a 7.1 set-up. Seams mad to spend a fortune on speakers that will only be picking up ambient sounds. I always worry when things are too good to be true and these are falling into that category (very well priced though).

May be worth test fitting one into a wall to hear what they are like before you design your construction around them.

Would be interested in your opinions after?

Good luck with the project :smashin:

Last edited:
Yes , come on . Chop chop , how are those speakers (i'm thinking of something like that now );)

Hi there,

I was thinking about changing my rear for some Monitor audio in walls. Are they easy to fit.

cheers

Graham

Hi there,

I was thinking about changing my rear for some Monitor audio in walls. Are they easy to fit.

cheers

Graham

Hi Graham..yes i believe they are very easy to fit..I've been back on shift so the work has slowed down a bit but will be starting again tomoz and hopefully have the speakers in.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers

Ted

Last edited:
Just got the MDF up..cables getting sorted tomoz then hopefully all systems go...

Forgot to put a Picture of my rear speakers...see below..

Wire's will be hard to see once properly covered..hopefully..

RearSpeakers.jpg

Last edited:
Stage 3 MDF Up....Loads of the cables to sort out through a hole on the chimney breast..all of them are tagged with the respective places to go..

MDFStage3.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom