1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My home Cinemas on my web site

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jlcrawford, Jul 25, 2001.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Jeff,

That looks very impressive!

I get my Barco in Three weeks and cant wait(bd800). I should have replied to your email sooner, and come and see it for some ideas and advice. Your in Hartlepool?

Looks very good and waiting on the update photos!

P.S. Have you sent the results to HCC for inclusion?

3. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Phil you would be welcome to take a look - no problem.
    I sold a specially made unit to a guy who had just splashed out £8000ish for a Plasma 50" and am now in a quandry cos i bought a Tosh 56" tv from him but that's another issue.
    This guy lives about 800 yards from me and whilst he doesnt know his stuff all that well(as yet)he is a good bloke so I showed him my two CRTs ,and I think the Seleco impressed him and the Barco blew him away but he had not seen well setup front projection.
    I am hoping in the future to offer full setups and install/decor etc as I could easily make it an offshot to my current furniture business

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Jeff,

I will definately take you up on seeing it in the flesh, but I am very busy at work at the mo. I will mail you soon.

I didn't realise you have two crt's? Awesome!

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Looks nice Jeff,

I too had a snooker room in my last house that wasn't really used. When I moved to my new house it was either another snooker room or a HC, I know what I would rather have :D

Same problem with keeping the daughter awake with thunderous soundtracks. She's got used to it now and will sleep through just about anything. Makes life that much easier!

Cheers Rob.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Jeff,

I thought I was the only double CRT guy here......you got me beat!

Would your company do cabinets as far away as Glasgow? I really like your Red room stuff, only without the glass fronts. Can I email you to discuss this?

Gordon

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Jeff,

Way to go m8 looks the absolute dogs do-dahs :D (both rooms)

Cheers

Tim

8. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gordon I have no problem in you emailing me direct after all you are probably going to be trying to put business my way.
    I will be seeing you and others here at the event so that may be a place for such discussions.I think I will now be travelling up on the day and returning the same as the wife is not keen- is there easy safe parking nearby?

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Jeff,

You got mail! Regarding a lift up to the event for you.

10. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Well I have just got back from Jeffs house and I am still in shock! He must have thought i was a right idiot, cos i just stood there with my Jaw on the ground jibbering out WOW now and again.....

Firstly Thanks very much to Jeff for allowing me to visit his home. It must be strange to have someone you have never met before coming round to your house, and gawping at your Home cinema systems, so Thank you Jeff and i feel i have made a new friend.

Now Jeff is a very friendly bloke and has really done a first class job building a very impressive and beautiful house.

As soon as i walked into the house i was shown into the first room. I think my first words were "WOW". The 7ft image from the Seleco 400(with line doubler) was very impressive, showning digital tv. The cabinets are of the highest quality and the entire finish to the room is very plush and elegant. The photos on his website dont do it any justice. There is no DVD play back in this room, which is used for TV viewing, but the picture is very watchable even in ambiant lighting. Even more impressive is the fact everything was done by Jeff himself.

I was then taken into the Blue Room. At this point i was awestruck by the size and elegance of the room. The home made Stuart screen(micro perf) is very imposing set against a black background. The Kef TDM THX speakers are hidden behind the screen, With the TDM dipoles on the side walls, with two more on the rear wall (for ex/es).

The projector, a Barco 808s is ceiling mounted and uses a hush box fitted to the rear to reduce fan noise.

Sound is controlled by a Denon avse 1 se THX EX/ES amp. The dvd source is a Pioneer 737 fed to the Taw Rock Scaler/processor.

First impressions where awe inspiring, the contrast level of the picture on T2se was amazing. I was seeing things in the image i have never seen on a 32". Moving onto the Fifth Element and again i was amazed at the contrast levels being displayed. Flesh tones were very natural and the picture had a real 3d sense to it. The part where lelu jumps from the building is staggering, you feel you are falling with her.

I could have spent hours watching that image, and even longer speaking to Jeff, who is very knowledgeable about his hobbie, and like me is a complete HC nutcase.(he even has a 56" w/s RPTV stored in the spare room, whilst he decides what to do with it).

Overall, i was very impressed,(and very envious) of this system which has been built by one man dedicated to his hobbie. He even took my comments (I tend to speak my mind sometimes, its my job) and was happy with suggestions to improve things even more. A top Bloke with a top system(S). He also put up with me for an hour, not an easy task when i am speechless, and i look forward to keeping in touch.

And last but not least, STEVE MAY get a camera crew and writer round there right now! This is the type of system we want to see featured.

NOTE: The photos on Jeffs Site do not do justice to his set ups, think of everything being twice the size and you are getting there.

Thanks again for allowing me to view your home and cinema rooms. Speak to you soon regarding the EVENT. :D

[ 31-07-2001: Message edited by: THX 1138 /THX TEX ]

11. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

12. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to ask the same question rob,
    still chuffed with the hd,6 s, chris, tamworth. ;)

13. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Whats wrong with that quote? You have lost me!
    It was a seleco 320 (I think)and it was displaying a 7ft image(16:9) and the unit had a built in line doubler.

Nit pick nit pick :p

Still dont see what is wrong with the quote..

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The Seleco320 can't line double that's why they question you. I think Jeff has a 400 though so that would explain things more clearly.

Sounds like you had a wonderful hr. You've been spoilt now. Nothing will be the same anymore!

Gordon

15. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Ah Cheers Gordon!

My mistake I thought it was a 320. Aw well.

Had my eyes opened Gordon, i now know what all the fuss is about. Looking forward to joining the club very soon. :D