My Home Cinema

Russ 66

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

(See post 51 for a current photograph)

I have been into home AV for over twenty years.
My first system was a Panasonic VHS into a Yamaha Dolby Prologic amp back in the mid 90's.
I bought my first DVD player, a Pioneer DV717 back in 1998 and an add on Dolby Digital processor.

Over the years I have slowly upgraded and changed things, this is where I am today.
Sources are a 2TB Sky HD box and a Sony BDP S480 Blu-Ray player.
My AVR is an Anthem MRX310.
My speakers are Kef R100, R200C and Q2DS. Again the rears are next on the upgrade list.
Subs are two Ken Kreisel DXD808's.
The TV is a Panasonic ZT65 an incredible screen still looks amazing.
The projector is a Sony HW40es with a Sapphire 106" screen.

Last edited:
I've still got to hide the power cable to the screen.
My room is also vey pale which is not the best for black levels.
Hopefully later this year I will redecorate the room making it darker, grey carpet etc but it will never be a bat cave.
I have the wife currently making me some black blackout covers to go over the two rear glass panel doors.
So another future upgrade will hopefully be a new screen either a Draper React or a Diverse grey high contrast. I will also go a bit bigger on the screen either 95" 16:9 or a scope screen.

Last edited:
Very nice, Russ. :)

Very nice. The picture from that Sony projector always looks good whenever I've seen it.

Very nice. The picture from that Sony projector always looks good whenever I've seen it.
Thanks, the Sony is seriously good value.

Great setup!

Thanks guys.

Very nice and clean Russ. Good choice of Projector too. Enjoy

very nice!

That is a nice setup. Especially the dual DXDs! What would you upgrade your rears to, the R800ds?

That is a nice setup. Especially the dual DXDs! What would you upgrade your rears to, the R800ds?
Not sure I was maybe thinking the XTZ S5's.

Smart integration of the dual DXD's, Russ! Looks nice! I take it you ARC them?

Smart integration of the dual DXD's, Russ! Looks nice! I take it you ARC them?
I certainly do. I have a very large room mode at 30hz which it flattens off nicely.

Not really anything to do with AV but I guess it is film related. It was my birthday yesterday and my very talented wife made me this cake.

Last edited:
Looks smart does that Russ. Can I ask how you mounted pj to the wall as Im looking at going for the sony, and they way you have it looks spot on.

Last edited:
My joining wall is breeze block? Or is it hollow block? Im guessing this will be ok with the right fixing? I have 2 thunder bolts holding my blu ray shelves to the wall..........they will hold me lol.

Hate fixing expensive things to walls,,,,,,,,,,,frightened rabbits nose lol

My joining wall is breeze block? Or is it hollow block? Im guessing this will be ok with the right fixing? I have 2 thunder bolts holding my blu ray shelves to the wall..........they will hold me lol.

Hate fixing expensive things to walls,,,,,,,,,,,frightened rabbits nose lol
Mines the same, all internal walls are solid.
I just used the biggest longest screws and plugs I had, there are three fixings from memory. Every morning I come downstairs I expect to see it crashed to the floor.
Its been up a good couple of months now so I think it should be ok.

hi Russ 66 , how do you find the colours etc on your screen , i am mulling over wether or not to get a 106 manual pull down screen , i currently have a 92 bw screen which i am more than happy with but with summer and light nights approaching my setup is in bay with a big ass bay window , so im thinking it will kill 2 birds with one stone , block out light and slight bigger screen for the time beiing would seem that my room decor is very similar also , am running a panasonic pt-at6000e which is much the same performance wise as your sony , so any further comments and feedback on edge curl , screen flatness and so on would be much appreciated.

hi Russ 66 , how do you find the colours etc on your screen , i am mulling over wether or not to get a 106 manual pull down screen , i currently have a 92 bw screen which i am more than happy with but with summer and light nights approaching my setup is in bay with a big ass bay window , so im thinking it will kill 2 birds with one stone , block out light and slight bigger screen for the time beiing would seem that my room decor is very similar also , am running a panasonic pt-at6000e which is much the same performance wise as your sony , so any further comments and feedback on edge curl , screen flatness and so on would be much appreciated.
The screen is ok, the surface is flat. There is a small amount of edge curl but this is limited to the border and doesn't effect the white part of the screen.
The colours are fine, but I would prefer a grey screen to improve the blacks.
Unfortunately good low cost grey screens don't exist. I know you can buy some on Amazon and EBay but the are not quality items.

Congrats on making it to the front page of AVF Russ
A very nice setup indeed
Isn't this hobby great when you can just dim the lights and get lost in the movie, especially with a stunning projector like the Sony.

Blimey, that's a nice surprise.

I've still got to hide the power cable to the screen.
My room is also vey pale which is not the best for black levels.
Hopefully later this year I will redecorate the room making it darker, grey carpet etc but it will never be a bat cave.
I have the wife currently making me some black blackout covers to go over the two rear glass panel doors.
So another future upgrade will hopefully be a new screen either a Draper React or a Diverse grey high contrast. I will also go a bit bigger on the screen either 95" 16:9 or a scope screen.
Russ
Thank you for sharing, looks a great set up.

I have just put together something similar (not quite as good) and also have issues with Windows needing blacking out (hideous stained glass things either side that "senior management" at home wouldn't let me brick up!).
As they are both arched windows I was wondering how to make black outs for them (aesthetically blinds are a no no) and would be interested to know how your wife is making up yours?

At he moment I'm considering a couple of sheets of board edged with the plastic used for secondary glazing (they can live behind the sofa when not in use) but know there must be a more elegant solution?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom