My Home Cinema Setup

i_raz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Been a member for a while now and upgrading for a long time! I started with a Bose system! I have been highly impressed with some of the setups on here and thought I would post a few pics of my humble 11.2 setup.

Current Kit:

DNP Supernova 120" (23/23 high gain)

Monitor Audio Platinum Pl200 (LR) , PLC350 (Center) , PL100 (wides) and PLW -15 sub.

Monitor Audio GS20 (x4) as side and rear surrounds

Monitor Audio R225hd as heights

Sunfire True EQ12 Signature SUB - this is only 13“ cubed but it is one of the best subs I have heard.

JVC X30

Darbee
Isol 8

Oppo 93

Rotel RMB-1575 (x2)

Onkyo TX-NR3010

Earthquake 10b

Audyssey Pro Installer's Kit

DSC02646.jpg
DSC02642.jpg
DSC02656.jpg
DSC02657.jpg
DSC02668.jpg
DSC02628.jpg
DSC02590.jpg
DSC02608.jpg
DSC02623.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02548.jpg
    DSC02548.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Photos of new kit as at 09.01.2016:

Attachments

• DSC07869.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 135
  • DSC07875.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 109
  • DSC07882.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 98
  • DSC07889.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 86
  • DSC07890.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 88
  • DSC07892.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 88
  • DSC07901.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 72
  • DSC07906.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 71
  • DSC07909.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 75
  • DSC07912.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Wow........speakers, speakers and more speakers. Are kids allowed in there?

I like it, my wife would hate it but I think she's got a phobia of speakers

hi i_raz,

i don't see any "humble" setup here o_O but from my very small experience in the home cinema department, i have to ask... did you do that by yourself?

i have a few points i would like to mention on your setup.. (i might be wrong, but everyone is free to correct me)

1) Front height speakers would be more sound-noticeable if they were looking downwards (to your couch)
2) the center speaker would be better in the "center" of the screen. i know that there is the wall there, but u can simply move the speakers a bit towards you... this is going to leave some space behind the speakers to "open up" with their sound.
3) in your case... i would just remove the small sub, and keep only the big one... having two different subs in a room, needs a lot of calibration in order to make them work correctly. if not, they are just cancelling some frequencies with each other.
4) i would move the big sub to the right, since it seems that there is more free space there in order for the sub to "fill" the room
5) your front-wide speakers are very close to you, and away from the front speakers... this means that the real front speakers have to play a sound faster than the front-wide ones, in order to get to you at the same time.. (if you can notice it). in my opinion... this is not front-wide, it is front-front :)
6) your surround-rears again... they are not actually at your rear... they are in front of you. the next thing is that the surround speakers need to be above your head's height in order to create that "surround" effect where things fly above-around you. to me... they seem like they are working as front-front-fronts :confused:
7) i am just wondering with all that glass doors in there... how much "dirty" noise you get from vibrations and sound-reflections.
8) what about noises or head problems with the projector right above your main seat?

imho... you have some very nice equipment, but your space needs a lot of work in order to fully achieve the best your sound system can offer you. to me right now, it just seems that you are trying to fit as many speakers as possible.

Leo

Thanks. My wife occasionally comments that I have too many speakers in that room! But i don't think I can go back to a 7.1 system again!

My son has just turned 5 so I can trust him in the room now! My nieces and nephews come round on the weekend but they are a little older so I don't have to worry too much!

TBH this is a second living room, so i only use it to watch a couple of movies a week or use the room for guests. My main living has a 63"plasma which I use most of the time.

TeDev

Humble - Well I thought my system was high end at one time but then I came across a thread re: Datasat which makes mine look modest in comparison!!!

I did it myself apart from the screen which I had professionally mounted.

Thanks for your points (for which I'm grateful). I have responded below using your numbering:

1) I agree. But I don't want to make holes in my walls just yet. The height speakers are on top of the projection screen so unfortunately, I can't angle them downwards. The frame of the projection screen in only a few cms. However, someone did suggest that I wall mount the PL100's (Sammy the Squid - well known member on the forums) and use them as height speakers. I'm tempted but they are very heavy so still deciding. I would need very strong brackets to hold them up. Each one weighs 13kg! I have also been looking at the XTZ 99.22 which uses a ribbon tweeter as an cheaper alternative. Eventually, my intention is to have them angled towards my seating position but I need to decide which option to take. I am supposed to be cutting back on my AV equipment!

2) The center speaker is angled towards the main seating position. I will move it forward a touch. I am unable to move it to the center because of the pillar.

3) I did have 2 sunfire subs but sold one. The small one is a sunfire (believe it or not but the RRP on it is £2700! and it is almost as powerful as the big one). I regret selling it and they very rarely come up for sale. I am currently debating whether to get another sunfire, a MA GXW15 or a matching MA PLW 15. Ideally both subs should be the same. However, I do have audyssey XT32 with the pro calibration kit and it seems to be doing a decent job. I may try removing one and see how it sounds.

4) Do you mean move it to the location of the smaller sub or more towards the center of the room?

5) As you can appreciate I am not able to place the wides in an ideal location for obvious reasons (my front left and right speakers are already in the corner). However, I do find they work well where they are currently. I haven't noticed sound arriving at different times. They definitely broaden the soundstage.

6) I did try the side surrounds literally at the side previously but I find the current position also works. It creates a greater separation between the side and rear surrounds. It's not ideal, but it works for me anyway! I did try 2 surrounds previously in the rear corners rather than 4 but found that there was a big sound gap from the front speakers and the surrounds so I reverted to 4 again. I find this provides more of a 360 degree sound. When I am seated they are slightly above my head. The rear surrounds (tweeter level) is about 25 cm above my head. I could potentially have some custom made stands for them (something to think about). At the moment I am using 18cm, M10 Bolts to raise their height. I agree they need to be higher.

7) Nothing I can do about the glass doors. The door and windows shown in pic 3, when watching a movie, I have some pull down blackout blinds (which can't be seen in the pics) and I also draw the curtains which helps a little i suppose.

8) The projector is very quiet so not really a problem at all unless used in high lamp mode which I don't do anyway. The last projector was a Optoma HD87 and very noisy and distracting but the JVX X30 is fine. Also no head problems either unless my son is jumping on the sofa!!!

Lots of speakers -I have thought about going back to a traditional 7.1 but tbh I don't think I can. I previously had my amps wired in such a way so I could instantly turn the wides and heights off so could I instantly hear the difference between the traditional 7.1 and the 11.1. The traditional 7.1 sounds flat and lifeless IMHO in comparison to the 11.1.

Thanks for your comments. Any other suggestions welcome.

Evening Imran, I just wanted to say you have some sumptuous looking speakers on display there! And although there are a lot of speakers, that room looks so nice and snug:thumbsup: and that's important but If it wasnt comfy,then you wouldn't be inclined to be spending much time in there!

Loving the curtains and the French doors to. I agree with you completely with the speakers argument. From stereo, to 5.1, to 7.1 and then 9.x and beyond. Each speaker brings something to the party to make the experience more immersive and if you do take away a speaker, then you will lose something from the sound field. You don't miss something until you've possessed it/experienced it. So it's completely understandable that 7.x wouldn't sound as good with all the speakers and subs on the go.

The only thing I would hint at, if possible, go back to having two of the same subs. Yes you can eq to your hearts content, but don't forget, the eq also robs the speaker of a little performance. So although you could eq two different subs, you're also taking a bit away from there potential performance. I know you like your sunfires...if you prefer the bass they emit over the monitor audio 15 incher..maybe see if you can find another one? That's not a criticism, just an idea..I'm a fussy bugger and would do the same in my room!

Obviously the room isn't a dedicated, blacked out bunker. But I don't think it matters. As long as you're enjoying the experience on that big screen, that's the key thing..so enjoy it, I know I would :clap:

Asif

Hey Asif

Good to hear from you and I hope your well. Thanks for your comments.

I agree with more speakers, the sound is definitely more immersive. Just when I thought I wouldn't need anymore, along comes Auro 3d!

I'm still looking out for another matching sub, inclined towards the ma gxw15 or the ma plw15 but in no rush.

Although my rooms not a batcave, I can get a reasonable picture with the dnp supernova screen.

How's your setup coming along? Is it complete yet?

Hey Asif

Good to hear from you and I hope your well. Thanks for your comments.

I agree with more speakers, the sound is definitely more immersive. Just when I thought I wouldn't need anymore, along comes Auro 3d!

I'm still looking out for another matching sub, inclined towards the ma gxw15 or the ma plw15 but in no rush.

Although my rooms not a batcave, I can get a reasonable picture with the dnp supernova screen.

How's your setup coming along? Is it complete yet?

Hi Imran, I'm good thanks :) you're well on the way to Auro in terms of speakers! Depending on what processor you're thinking of utilising, you may only need another 3 speakers (rear heights and a directors voice overhead!).

I'm sure you get a cracking picture, there are a few options now when it comes to ambient light rejection screens. If I was to do a light room setup down the line, it's the route I'd go to.

I'm almost done for now. I've put my room back together and just need to finish a few bits off. Although as you mention, Auro 3D is around the corner so may have to add a few bits and bats ;)

I will be hanging on to the onkyo until Auro 3d is well established. I haven't really looked into Auro in detail yet.

I'm happy with the picture and afew friends have been highly impressed with the picture especially given the size of the screen.

You will have to show me pics when your room is done. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

I will be hanging on to the onkyo until Auro 3d is well established. I haven't really looked into Auro in detail yet.

I'm happy with the picture and afew friends have been highly impressed with the picture especially given the size of the screen.

You will have to show me pics when your room is done. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

My screening room is virtually all blacked out so unfortunately except for the screen, there isn't much to see!

I'd like to think my rack is all but complete for the near future :thumbsup:

You have a serious number of speakers!! I am impressed :)

Have you tried experimenting with the front heights turned on and off for a normal 5.1 track?

What type of difference is there?

My screening room is virtually all blacked out so unfortunately except for the screen, there isn't much to see!

I'd like to think my rack is all but complete for the near future :thumbsup:

I bet you get a fantastic pic in a totally dark room with the vw1000!

Stevos

Thanks. With the heights engaged the front sound stage is lifted slightly. I prefer the wide effect over the heights but my heights are not angled towards the listening posting so I may not be getting the best out of my heights at the moment.

Thinking about it, it makes sense. From time to time the sound does localise on the front channel and you become aware that it is below the speaker, not that often but it pulls you out of the movie a little when it happens.

Might consider it for the future :)

I haven't updated thread for sometime although I have gone through some changes. I have added new photos in post 4 above.

James Katie came round recently and calibrated my subs for me which made a big difference to the overall sound.

My new equipment now includes:

-Lumagen

-JVC X500 projector (replaced JVC x30)

-2x SI HT15 DIY subs (made by James Katie) replacing my MA PLW15 and Sunfire subs

-Inuke DSP6000 powering subs

-Dirac 88a

-4 x XTZ Cinema series S5 surround speakers (replaced <Monitor audio GS20)

-Denon Avr-x5200 (replaced Onkyo 3010)

-Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote (replacing harmony one)

Last edited:
Photos:

Attachments

• 1452544658392.jpg
    1452544658392.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 1452544672397.jpg
    1452544672397.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 1452544681586.jpg
    1452544681586.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 174
nice, very nice!

now go and get the room painted! nice and dark.:D

Did you find the xtz speakers better than the monitor audios,and plans to get the S6 fronts?.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom