Quantcast

My home cinema setup (new member)

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
Hi all . I’m a new member and just thought I’d post some details and pics of my home cinema so far . Now I’m not new to home cinema . And there will be many upgrades soon in my system .

Any comments will be appreciated

So far I have a 120 inch edgeless screen that I built . Raised off the wall about an inch with led lights behind . Running from a vivitec d5180hd projector . IMO very good quality dlp projector . That cost me next to nothing . I may go to 4K soon but not yet . For sound I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver with a set of cheap speakers but tbh they Sound awesome !, but first on the upgrade list as well as 7.2.4 Dolby atoms . I run my Xbox and Apple TV at the moment .

This is my lounge . So it has to be practical . Otherwise it would all be black and very different lol

Soon I am doing a fibre optic ceiling too :)

Now for pics

74669C49-8C93-4597-88E6-5EDED3E4071D.jpeg
3A3490D9-C174-44BE-A4AA-D208A241DF3E.jpeg

Last edited:

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Hi all . I’m a new member and just thought I’d post some details and pics of my home cinema so far . Now I’m not new to home cinema . And there will be many upgrades soon in my system .

Any comments will be appreciated

So far I have a 120 inch edgeless screen that I built . Raised off the wall about an inch with led lights behind . Running from a vivitec d5180hd projector . IMO very good quality dlp projector . That cost me next to nothing . I may go to 4K soon but not yet . For sound I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver with a set of cheap speakers but tbh they Sound awesome !, but first on the upgrade list as well as 7.2.4 Dolby atoms . I run my Xbox and Apple TV at the moment .

This is my lounge . So it has to be practical . Otherwise it would all be black and very different lol

Soon I am doing a fibre optic ceiling too :)

Now for pics

View attachment 1124494 View attachment 1124493
View attachment 1124498
View attachment 1124495
Are those floorstanding speakers at the front L&R? Wall mounted?

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Yes they are lol. I have kids and don’t want them on the floor . Literally fitted with ‘L’ brackets as they are only temporary .
Cool, first time I think I've ever seen that.. room looks cool, like the led strips.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate . I’ve had it up for a while now . But I’m going to be doing some upgrades like Dolby atoms . Fibre optic ceiling . Ass kicker etc :):)
Coolio, we are 5.1.4 Atmos/Dts-X etc due to the size of our room. Never looked back and well worth it. Hope you find a noticeable upgrade with audio as much as we did.

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
So I got some better speakers . They look and sound better . And I changed the sofa from an ‘L’ shape to all in a line so there’s more space

F9531E14-7821-46A2-8B45-0D9A3255196D.jpeg
A8DB6756-07F3-460F-A9D3-1A973F64B799.jpeg

mossym

Distinguished Member
floorstanders like that need to be out a bit from the wall to perform properly, they need some room to do their thing. you are definitely crippling their performance sticking them on the wall like that. especially the one on the left, firing along the ceiling like that isn't the best

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
floorstanders like that need to be out a bit from the wall to perform properly, they need some room to do their thing. you are definitely crippling their performance sticking them on the wall like that. especially the one on the left, firing along the ceiling like that isn't the best

Yeah 100% I’m well aware of that . But I also have young kids and trying to keep it all off the floor etc . Still sounds plenty good enough for what i need

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
So now I’ve added some trim to finish the led lights off . Soon I will be doing a fibre optic ceiling and a few other bits. I’ve now wrapped the screen I made in an actual projector screen instead of the screen paint as it looks better

My crap phone really doesn’t do it justice but here are some pics

Last edited:

Killbill118

Looks amazing. Bet your kids love the big screen experience.
Have you noticed any difference in audio between the speakers being all mounted vs on the floor. Either way you do you :)

And Thank you for posting your pics in full and not small thumbnails

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
Thanks mate , yeah they love it , Ive never actually had the speakers on the floor so I’m not sure , I put them straight on the wall. I have no doubt that I’m killing the sound somewhat , But it sounds really good, me and a mate sat for literally hours tweaking it all . My tech mates compliment on it a lot . I’ve got a sloped ceiling so I’m not sure if it helps the sound . I might do some acoustic panels at some point , to make it better .

chrisgeary

Try the LR speakers upside down. With the tweeters so high, my guess is that treble is lost a bit as they'll be hugely off axis. Upside down, they might gel little better with your centre channel as well.

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
Try the LR speakers upside down. With the tweeters so high, my guess is that treble is lost a bit as they'll be hugely off axis. Upside down, they might gel little better with your centre channel as well.

Yeah I might give it a go . But tbh after we spent ages setting it all up , I don’t hear any problems with how they sound . I’m actually quite impressed . If I didn’t have the kids , I’d set it all different .

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
833601D4-64C0-4C2B-9084-C35743396DD4.png
443CC9B8-6C39-4E76-845E-0DFED8768890.png
51230601-3166-4757-996A-F81310F8EF09.png
DED6B070-D7A1-4DB2-B891-ACF0C7EA5E0C.png
So I like all the industrial looking stuff and I get bored easily . So I made a reclaimed pallet wall ,with voice controlled dimmable lights . And a table from a cable drum with wireless led lights . And I thought I’d post a couple of recent pics

Darrenraymond

Looking good mate.

I was going to say that going forward you should consider replacing your fronts with dedicated on-wall speakers, however, as kids grow, the potential damage risk reduces.

RichiePettifer

Standard Member
Looking good mate.

I was going to say that going forward you should consider replacing your fronts with dedicated on-wall speakers, however, as kids grow, the potential damage risk reduces.

Yeah I probably will. This is all just what I could put together on a budget really but it looks and sounds awesome in real life

Trending threads

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Raidho TD Series loudspeakers arrive in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Nokia 2.3 phone available in UK for £100
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to launch Documentary and Nature channels