My Home Cinema Room

Trax01

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as there are loads of peoples home cinema's here, I thought I would take the oppurtunity to show our set up.
It has taken a few years to build up to this specification.
My first purchase was the sound equipment. So a few years ago, a trip to Sevenoaks in manchester, saw the purchase of the speakers and Dennon Amp. This was Mission 783 Fronts, 78C (centre), a pair of 78D (rears), REL Q200 sub, and the Dennon AVC 10SE amp.
A few years later I got a Sony 51" Rear Projection TV, and then bought the poer amp, a Dennon POA T10, and another pair of 78D's so I now had 7.1 sound.
In our new house, as we bought it brand new, I took the oppurtunity to put the cables i nthe walls, for the rears, and start to get the system complete. probably a mistake I made, was to only put one rear in, so I only have 6.1, but its still fine, as the room isnt large.
Now I stated on the picture side of things, so somewhere along the line I purchased the Dennon DVD 3910, Xbox360, and later the PS3.
So, on to the TV and screen. After seeing a projector at a relatives house, I needed one. :D
Out went the Sony Rear Projection, and in came a Samsung 46" M87, which we wall mounted. On order was the Optoma HD80, Harmony remote, and a 4in 2 out HDMI switcher.
The pictures below hopefully show the system to be half decent. I did consider upgrading the amp, to one that can handle the hdmi switching, i.e. the Dennon or Onkyo top end models, but stuck to my original, which is still an outstanding amp/power amp.
Anyway, here are the pics:

This is the room in normal mode, i.e. watching day to day TV.
HomeCinema002.jpg

This is in cinema mode, didnt bother trying to show a film, as the results never seem to do the justice.
HomeCinema011.jpg

The Dennon AVC10-SE and POA T10 Amps
HomeCinema004.jpg

The Dennon DVD3910 and PS3
HomeCinema005.jpg

The Sky HD, Xbox360, Ipod and wireless router
HomeCinema006.jpg

The Harmony remote, and a Pair of Grado RS2's.
HomeCinema007.jpg

The Optoma HD80
HomeCinema008.jpg

Close up of the 78C with front removed
HomeCinema009.jpg

Close up of the 783 with front removed (Base fires out of side)
HomeCinema010.jpg

Close up of one of the 78D's
HomeCinema013.jpg

Picture of the lonely 78D at the rear
HomeCinema012.jpg

If anyone wants any other pictures of anything, please dont hesitate to ask.

I am open to any questions, critism, advice and of course any of the 'great system mate' comments that can come.

Not sure what is my next upgrade? Perhaps the screen, it is a 96" Panaview that came free with the projector, so I am sure I can get a better picture with a better screen, so am open to advice on this.

We dont watch the big screen in the day, but blackout blinds and the curtains make to possible.

I think the system as it is, is very wife friendly, and she has always wanted the big screen etc, so she has always been onboard with purchases.

Anyway, over to you guys. :hiya:

Absolutely stunning room. It has instantly become one of my favorites, it all looks so seemless and tidy. I love the beach, and the av-units are very smart. This is how I want my living room to look like when I own a house.

Cheers. The units were from Ikea, and the only, relatively cheap units that I could find. The remotes work through the fronts too, which is a must have.

p.s. I seem to have posted this one whilst I was still entering pictures, so I will edit this post to add the extras, and try and delate the other one.

Are they just big round candels/candel holders on the front speakers?

Also, how are the Grado RS2's? I've always loved the retro look of them.

Yep, they are candle holder thingies, the wife bought them - honest. I should have removed them for the pics, lol.

Love the Grado's. At the moment I listen to them throught the amp, but aim to get a proper headphone amp, so as to get the best out of them.

Lovely job - very jealous. Only thing I could pick fault with is the trunking coming down from the screen - I'd lose that or if not possible replace with some D-line semi circular trunking. Which Harmony remote is that and how do you find it? I bought a cheap 525 a couple of years ago but still not sure about it, just feels cheap.

regards

Brian

bsuttie, yep, the trunking is a bit distracting, perhaps I may put it in the wall at a later stage. We may move this TV into the conservatory soon, and not have a TV in this room, and just use it as a cinema room, as we have some Stressless Orions on order in a cinema configeration. This will mean the conservatory will be more of a living room, and this room a bit more special.

The remote is a harmony 1000. It works fine, I need to spend a bit more time programming it though, as I only have a few programes set up. Still use the sky remote alongside it though, you can do sky through the harmony, but note as easily as the sky remote, its just to great ergonomically wise.

trottersplc, the units were from Ikea, and the best thing I could find, apart from spending big money that is. They come in different colours and fronts, so you can have solid fronts if you want. The frosted ones are great, as the remotes work though them.They also do clear fronts.

Nice set up, but a question, not from me but my wife, it is not a proposal but she wants to know if you are married, I said probably not, or is she very very understanding :D

^^^^^^^
either way your a lucky man, or you can switch off to the "what do we want that for" or "why do we need that"

:thumbsup:Great setup! Love those missions and the cans!:thumbsup:
The Mission surrounds are pretty impressive sounding, I also have some similar pairs of surrounds like yours.

Great setup, did you find going from 5.1 to 7.1 made a difference

Trying to convince my wife we need 2 more speakers

Thanks for the comments guys.

The Wife has always been happy with the purchases. What makes it easier is that I have tried to make everything as minimalist as possible, she didnt like it when the equipment was on an open stand, she is much happier now it is in the cabinets.

The Missions are a good few years old now, but still holding up. I think if I upgraded them, I would notice a difference, but I dont think it's worth the few grand cost, so will leave that for a while.

Having the extra rear speakers does make a difference, especiallly now a few more films are coming out with the extra encoding on blueray.

Lovin the units, im on the hunt for somthing simerlar....i know u say u got them from ikea but can u remember the name of them? or what section u got them in?

cheers

Everyone seems to be liking the units, glad though, as we love them too.

On the door it says Besta Vegby. We saw them in the Leeds Ikea, and they were on display as you came in. This was last year so I doubt they wont have changed the displays though. They should be were all the over cabinets and stands are though.

They may be in a different format though, i.e. dark wood with solid doors and wall mounted. You select the format you want when you get to the stock shelves. So you buy the cabinet shell, the doors you want, and legs to suit, in the colours you want. We have two cabinets side by side, I also didnt put the rear on the cabinets, to allow for wiring and to help with airflow.

I will put some screen shots up, maybe tomorrow night.

Having the extra rear speakers does make a difference, especiallly now a few more films are coming out with the extra encoding on blueray.

I was afraid you'd say that

I think the system as it is, is very wife friendly, and she has always wanted the big screen etc, so she has always been onboard with purchases.

Anyway, over to you guys. :hiya:

Very nice setup. Where are you hiding your subwoofer? I didn't see it on the picis.

I bought my system first and showed the big tely once it was installed. She is not interested in technical details, but she likes the results and is now a great home cinema fan.

Well done.

Nice equipment as well.

very nice.

could you take a picture of the POA T10 amp rear please if not dont worry.

Thanks

Very neat setup. I agree that the only thing that brings it down that wee bit is the trunking though this is something you could easily deal with by chiselling into that wall or alternatively a small floating wall perhaps.

I also have concerns re the placement of your denon amp and the component above it. How is it getting any ventilation? Surely you leave the cabinets open? Then vents are above. You have little to no space for ventilation. Long term your components may just die without any warning signals. :suicide: I have a home theatre pc in a unit and it soon gave me warning signals and so i removed the lid permanently. Unfortunately your amp isn't sophisticated enough to tell you that, it'll just kick its boots!

Great minimalist setup though overall. Soon you'll find that you arent satisfied enough and go a little more extreme as did i.. Enjoy!

Lovely. One of the more genuinely functional setups around on here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom