My Home Cinema room has been trashed! Dust help!

english_bob

We had a painter and decorator start work in our house yesterday, he's a neighbour two doors away, and we have asked him to repair our stairs to make them more stable and to rip up the old carpet, paint the edges of the stairs (2 flights) so we can have a proper old school carpet with stair rods to give it that 1920's look.

My gaming / home cinema room is in the top loft conversion and has one of thoses flights of stairs leading up to it. I left specific instructions for him not to get any kind of dust inside this room.

I came home last night and my world has been utterly destroyed. Inside the Home Cinema room it is caked with dust on absolutely everything. Every piece of equipment, the TV, the furniture, the floor, everywhere and everything has this cruddy browny white dirt on top of it.

The P+D had used some real old school sander that spewed it everywhere (the Home Cinema room is not the only room in the house to go belly up, our bedroom was not a pretty sight either). Coupled with the fact that the doors where not sealed up or any type of isolation was done, and you have a real disaster.

As you can imagine I really lost the plot on this one. I cannot bare to go inside the room at the moment, to my mind it is completely destroyed. I have worked tirelessly to keep the room in good condition and as dust free as possible. Now I am faced with literally either disowning the whole room and kissing £thousands worth of stuff as a write-off, or have to make an attempt to clean absolutely everything and have a constant battle again to keep it clean. Not to mention also that my kit may of been damaged beyond repair.

****** off doesn't come anywhere close.

If anyone has had to do a clean up operation of this magnitude, please let me know how you went about it. My wife seems to think that running over every surface with a Detol wetwipe will cure the lot. I don't agree.

I was thinking of hiring one of these...

Dust Extractor - Dust Control - Hire Station

and one of these...

Aircube - Dust Control - Hire Station

...the plan being keeping the Aircube running while using the vac.

Bottom of the TV stand...

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I had some work done and a Henry vacuum cleaner with Hepafilter bags can take up just about anything - I even plugged it into the back of my sander and virtually no dust came out of the sander, none from the Henry. Henrys just keep on working.
You can buy the bags (make sure they are original Herny Hepafilter bags):
Numatic HVR200A Henry Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, Red 1200W: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
NUMATIC HENRY HEPA-FLO MICROFIBRE VACUUM CLEANER REPLACEMENT DUST BAGS X 10 PACK: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
The same bags also handled one inch cloth nails without complaints, it's generally recokoned up to one pound coins isn't a problem unless there are an awful lot ofthem.

SparksCW

Novice Member
Don't use a duster to get the majority of the dust off.. buy one of those anti-static ones that trap and pick up dust really easily, a duster just moves it around...

hoover off the gaps etc with a henry on "low" then wipe the equipment down.

Feel really sorry for you really, I'm a contractor and I get really stressed when the RARE occassions one of my staff creates un-neccessary dust or doesn't prevent it.

We use a makita dust extractor on wall chasers etc and it's bloody marvellous, http://tooltray.com/power-tools/vac...tray&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Shopping best money I've spent on plant for our staff.

Dust cannot be helped when doing building works so you have to accept it to some degree.. but if I was working in your house I'd have had them shut all doors that can be shut, then tape and film off the door to the cinema room to limit where the dust actually gets!

Hope you get it sorted and all the equipment is okay.

Da_Rude_Baboon

Novice Member
I would 3rd the Henry suggestion as they really are the best hoovers you can buy and the little blighter is indestructible and sucks up anything.

english_bob

I may look at getting a Henry, thanks.

Some confusion seems to reign over which model is best and who is selling the right updated model.

Thanks for all of your replies.

diesel

Hi Mate.

First of all, don't panic. If the kit is turned off and no fans have been running, you are unlikely to have damaged any of your kit.

Whilst setting up my HC I have had this dust problem happen to me.

I'll give the little red Henry another big thumbs up. I have a whole house vacuum system and a Dyson DC27 (that cost a fortune) and neither of them are a patch on the Henry.

The Hepa bags are fantastic. I just abought a box with about 30 bags in it from Costco and it was very inexpensive.

The only downside to the Henry, or the one I have leastways, is that it doesn't come with a brush tool. I say this because you don't want to run the nozzle across your equipment because the suction is so good, it may 'grab' and scuff or mark your kit.

I use a paint brush (it's actually a Meguiars valeting/detailing brush) and brush the dust gently to lift it off the surface of your kit and then use the nozzle to suck it out of the air, thereby minimising any chance of the nozzle trying to grab onto your kit.

It will take a while to get rid of all the dust because you will have to move all your kit about to get underneath and around the connectors at the back etc.

Once you have done this get yourself some of those yellow Microfibre cloths and some warm water. Wet the cloth and then wring it out thoroughly (for obvious reasons it doesn't want to be wet.) Wipe down all your kit with the cloth, rinisng it often. If you use the Microfibre cloth it won't leave any streaks on your kit and it will all be returned to pristine condition.

FWIW I would actually leave doing this until the decorating is finished but I would seal the room off (and any others) from the work area using lightweight Polythene dust sheets and masking tape. This will stop the problem getting any worse.

Hope that helps mate.

Andy Brown

english_bob

Brillant advice, thanks Andy. The paint brush idea and the wet microfibre cloths are on my list now.

Da_Rude_Baboon

Novice Member
The only downside to the Henry, or the one I have leastways, is that it doesn't come with a brush tool. I say this because you don't want to run the nozzle across your equipment because the suction is so good, it may 'grab' and scuff or mark your kit.
The one i bought from costco did. As the Henry is aimed at commercial cleaners you can buy every part and accessory very cheaply online.

diesel

Thanks baboon:thumbsup:

I bought mine re-conditioned (tightwad) so it didn't have any tools. I'll go an look at those now

Andy

phil5366

Banned
Unplug some of your kit, take it outside and get the leaf blower on it! works wonders.

Other than that a swift kick to the painters nuts should do the trick.

I cannot believe a tradesman has not sealed up doorways etc or even protected anything with dust sheets.

Movieman21

Novice Member
This is going to be hard work, but the only way you can be sure that all the dust is gone from all the stuff is to take all the equipment out one piece at a time. Then clean then with a damp cloth then dry one, once all equipment is clean then clean the room.

SparksCW

Novice Member
Just make sure you do have words with this decorator..

Next door to me had some block paving done in their rear garden, they cut all the blocks on our shared drive and covered my black L200 warrior which was immaculately shiney and painstakingly polished, in white brick dust.. I should have complained but didn't and regret it!

Then there was the kitchen fitter who cut everything up in my garage, saw dust absolutely everywhere and at the time I had a KTM 525 EXC motorbike with the engine in pieces so yeah full of saw dust! wasn't happy.

So know how you feel, don't take it lightly! Hope your kit is okay.

ajg68

Would be a good idea to use an air duster to blow out any dust that's been drawn into equipment, just squirt it into fans & air vents etc

Good luck :)

The Cinema Man

Novice Member
Worst thing is you used a neighbour to do the job! its one of them situations where you cant really do much about it apart from complain, and deal with the aftermath.

My suggestion would be to Hoover up the dirt from your HC Gear using a SOFT brush attachment (make sure the hoover dosent blow out dust) Once a majority of the dust has been cleared, you can use an anti static cleaning soloution with soft wipes. Be carefull when using an air duster on your HC Gear, Processors, sky and other bits may be ok but use carefully on a Blu-ray as you may just end up blowing the dust all over the Laser.

After saying all of this, my personal preffference would be to get a proffesional cleaing contractor who is insured. If they mess it up, your covered. :thumbsup:

BOB

english_bob

Thanks for all of the suggestions chaps. I have now cleaned the room and the equipment using a borrowed Henry Hoover (one with the special overdrive button) into a Hepa bag, and using a new dry paintbrush to carefully make the dust airborne and to suck it straight up the Henry

I will say that I could of not of done it without the Henry, he is brilliant. And the idea of using a paintbrush is an inspired choice. It was hard work and took about 6 hours overall, but it was worth it and the room is now cleaner than it has ever been.

diesel

Now you just need to slap the painter with a big old wet fish and the job's done.

Either that or knock six hours of your time off his bill!

Glad you sorted it mate:smashin:

kevenlee

Standard Member
You are this is looking terrible you need to find out a good home cleaner which can extract the whole dust from your room. For that you can search on the internet for dust extraction services within your area.

JamesSasso

Standard Member
hoover and a paintbrush :) just brush the dust off towards the nozzle. gets most of it then either one of those one that uses static to traop duck or slightly damp and then buff after :)

stevep360

Novice Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions chaps. I have now cleaned the room and the equipment using a borrowed Henry Hoover (one with the special overdrive button) into a Hepa bag, and using a new dry paintbrush to carefully make the dust airborne and to suck it straight up the Henry

I will say that I could of not of done it without the Henry, he is brilliant. And the idea of using a paintbrush is an inspired choice. It was hard work and took about 6 hours overall, but it was worth it and the room is now cleaner than it has ever been.
:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett