My Home Cinema - Hope for small/average size UK houses!

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by luvfilm, Jul 20, 2018.

1. luvfilm

luvfilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi All

A quick thanks to all that post on this forum as i have been reading and taking on opinions whilst educating myself for just under a year now. When i started the paper work to buy my 1st house i did so knowing i wanted a HT if possible, i researched and it looked tough considering room size and nearly gave up but it is possible so just wanted to post mine so that anyone else in same situation can see for themselves if its worth it or not to them.

The room is a converted uk garage and 8 feet wide and 14 feet long. 10 feet to ceiling. Here are the before pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I measured and remeasured many times worrying if i could fit a good size screen in making rookie mistakes like not factoring in frame sizes and case sizes etc, at first i wanted a TV and an electric tab tensioned screen but after demo at @Jag @ Epic Home Cinema house(house with a friggen full on cinema!) he convinced me to go for a fixed screen to maximise size. Thanks to this website i managed to find a great deal on a React 2 92 inch screen which i collected from @raz77 who i also learnt a lot from. I really recommend this screen if your room is not black,you can read all about it but when you see it with lights on but picture is still so visible you realise you could never have had it any other way. During the World Cup i watched many games with lights on as it is more sociable and easier to grab your beer!

Speaker wise i got the XTZ Spirit series( spirit 6 centre, spirit 2 surrounds and sub 12.10) from Jag. I was blown away by the price when he quoted me as i was expecting it to be a lot more than richer sounds price i received when demoing MA radius set up.

Projector also came from Jag, went with the Epson 7300, not quite entry level but also i wanted a good un from the start,competitive prices on these so get a quote if you want to go this route.

Seating wise i went with a Lazy Boy 3 seater recliner after i had painted the room grey(couldnt do black as wife didn't like it and tbh neither did i,grey is a good compromise and gives it a cinema look that goes with react screen and sofa colour.

I got a Frank Olsen TV stand that just about fits in my equipment, have Denon AVR 3400 Reciever, PS4, Panasonic UB300(got from another forum member @Van Dam ,its a great price even at retail for this player actually) Zidoo 9xs for media playback and Sky Q mini box. All bases covered!

Had all wiring put in trunking and thanks to my square skirting board it looks good.

All in all it was all done for around 5k, a huge sum for me but will hopefully make it worthwhile over the next decade! here are the pics of finished room: PLEASE CLICK ON THE PICTURES FOR HIGHER RESOLUTION VIEW

With Lights(spotlights) and mobile flash on:
    [​IMG]

With Lights off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seating:
    [​IMG]

To show non black room isnt perfect(honestly looks worse on pictures than real life):
    [​IMG]

Projector mounted to ceiling:
    [​IMG]

Trunking:
    [​IMG]

Close up:
    [​IMG]

So there it is! If anyone does have a similar sized room and wondering if it can be done maybe this will you ideas of what to do or not to do.

Feedback welcome, i am still a relative newbie so happy to take it onboard.

Hope you like!

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. raz77

raz77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Looking good, really impressed with your room and glad you are making good use of the screen. Any plans for atmos in the future?

3. luvfilm

luvfilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks mate.

Atmos in pipeline for future possibly, as it is the rear speakers are close and just above me so sometimes you get a atmos-lite effect, but yeah if i go that route i will probably get them put in like the spotlights just above the sofa. Think front speakers too far away from seating to use up firing ones?

The screen is excellent, so glad i didnt go with a different type.

4. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,915
    Lovely setup.

I love the XTZ Spririts, brilliant speakers for the money. I have 3 of the 6 as front LCR in my lounge - you should maybe consider this instead of the 2s for LR as it would let you get the screen a little bit lower down the wall which should make viewing a little nicer.

The ReAct screens are awesome too, had one in my white lounge. Now I've got a blacked out fabric walled room I don't need one, but the room is darker than most dungeons and really the ReAct got surprisingly close if you controlled the room light a bit. Your walls being a little bit grey will be helping a lot.

5. luvfilm

luvfilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thank you i did read your thoughts on the XTZ prior to buying them actually!

In terms of lowering screen its not something i am looking to do currently as do not notice having to look upwards,especially when reclined as that moves your eye angle upwards.

And yes i am glad i painted the room, at first i thought react will do job but as you say any help is worth it and also makes room look a lot better even nothing is on. I will take a picture later of the screen when projector is off to show what i mean.

6. rriisshhii

rriisshhii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The set-up looks brilliant. I'm planning on getting the same speakers, but for now I'm waiting for my TV to arrive. How do they sound?

7. luvfilm

luvfilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    They sound great mate. A more natural sound than the Monitor Audio Radius that listened to at richer sounds. Can pack a punch too! reccomend sub 12.10 if you go with one

get to london and have a demo with @Jag @ Epic Home Cinema if you can, hear it for yourself. You will love them i am sure.

8. Tony 3D

Tony 3D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Great Transformation

9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: