1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Hitachi 32LD7200 has died!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by eva-01, Sep 21, 2005.

1. eva-01

eva-01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm gutted!

I was watching it earlier today but then went into town to do some shopping (switched it off before leaving). When I came back, I switched it on but there was no picture (it seems like the backlight is still working and there is sound). At first I thought it was my Sky box so I switched to AV4 (DVD) but it's the same. I have tried every channel and you don't even get the little pop-up message that you usually get when switching channel. Tried menu but again, nothing. Other functions of the TV are working though. If I switch picture modes I notice the backlight changing in brightness. Also, swivel is working... THERE'S JUST NO PICTURE!

I tried calling Hitachi but they have closed for the day. I will call again first thing tomorrow. I thought it was worth sharing my story here incase I've done something stupid and it can be easily remedied.

In the worst possible case of it being broken.. Do Hitachi give you a temporary TV while the broken one is being repaired?

2. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    hey...there goes some tumbleweed...

of all the areas within the AV Forums website I think you will find the LCD section the most unhelpful...which is a shame really, considering the number of people who frequent it...

...ho hum, anyway, good luck with regards to getting your problem sorted...

3. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey...there goes some tumbleweed...

Perhaps no one has an answer? Hope you get it sorted soon

4. denis1501

denis1501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Check that the scart isn't loose in the back of the Sky decoder. If it isn't loose try another scart and see if that works. Hook up a dvd player to it and see if you get a picture with that.
    regards
    D.

5. eva-01

eva-01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    It's not a cabling issue. The actual display seems dead (I do not get any visual confirmation of a channel change or menus etc when I press the menu button).

e.g. I press the swivel button. I can swivel the TV but there is no visual confirmation that I am swiveling (like there normally is).

I'm away to phone Hitachi right now.

6. eva-01

eva-01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just got off the phone with Hitachi.

They gave me the phone number of their service company in my area. I asked about a replacement while mine is being repaired. They flat out refused saying they don't offer this service.

I then called the service company. The guy said they were extremely busy and asked if I could take it out to them. I refused because I don't trust the TV in the back of a car with no protection (don't have the packaging). They said they can pick it up but it wouldn't be until Tuesday. I asked about a time-frame. He wouldn't give me an exact time but said it shouldn't be longer than a month. Looks like I may be without a TV for a while.. Guess there's no point in buying the new Burnout on Xbox this Friday then. :(

In conclusion, I feel really unsatisfied by the way Hitachi handle repairs. To pay £1200 for a TV only for it break in 4 months is shocking. For them then to think that I should go without a TV for the time of the repair is even worse. It's a shame because the 32LD7200 is an excellent TV and apart from this, I have been happy with it from day one.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Has anyone managed to get a replacement out of Hitachi?

7. gilesme

gilesme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unlucky.

Maybe you could try Hitachi again, and ask for details of another repairer ? See if they can do anything sooner for you ?

I got a loewe aconda from 7oaks - went pop just out of warranty. 7oaks didn't want to know.

Luckily, local TV shop volunteered to "have a go" - they've since started selling Loewe.

Thinking of getting a Loewe Xelos A32 - guess which shop isn't going to get my business.....?

8. eva-01

eva-01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the reply.

I have just called Hitachi again and unfortunately there isn't another service company for LCD's in my area. The guy I spoke to however did say he'd call the service company and try and speed things up so here's hoping.

9. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    do you have houme insurance? maybe they could help out?

10. gilesme

gilesme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as in "it accidentally fell off it's stand...." ? :devil:

11. karlak

karlak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,741
    Who did you buy the Hiatchi TV from? I reckon the retailer should be more helpful in this case. Have you contacted them.

A few years ago I bought a TV from Courts (now gone belly up), and they could not deliver the TV on time so loaned me a TV for 3 months, until Sony sorted out their supply issues. My point is that Sony would not have wanted to know at all.

12. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmmnn. Making me think I should have taken out that extended warranty.....

13. eva-01

eva-01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I bought it from TotalDigital.. They didn't want to know! Just told me to call Panasonic :confused:. I then told them it was a Hitachi TV and they told me to call them.

I do have home insurance but would rather not claim since the TV is still under warranty (only had it 4 months).

14. gilesme

gilesme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Making me think I should have taken out that extended warranty....."

or got it from John Lewis ?

15. Parmenion62

Parmenion62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Mackem I agree - I am beginning to regret purchasing from Hitachi and purchasing over the internet. It seems you have no come back - a buzzing TV is Ok and someone who has a TV for 4 months that goes wrong is treated with complete indifference - disgraceful - so now we know customer service is non existent even if you are paying over a grand for a TV.

16. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Getting it from John Lewis is an expensive option.... and they haven't got any! Got mine from Richer Sounds and their customer service is supposed to be pretty good. Turned down the extended warranty for £130 for a further 2 years, but may be tempted to go back and see if you can take it out retrospectively.

17. eva-01

eva-01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    UPDATE:

I received my TV back from repair about a week ago. The Hitachi service company said that the fault was due to an intermittent connection which they had repaired. TBH, after 2 weeks without a TV I didn't really care about the fault, I was just glad to have a working TV again... Unfortunately it broke again this morning (exactly the same problem as before). I called Hitachi immediately. I was told that all repairs are gauranteed by the service company for 3 months and I should call them. I then called the service company and explained the situation to them. I politely asked if they could fix the TV as soon as possible as I've only had it back a week. The guy on the phone was extremely rude and said if I pressure him anymore he will refuse repair. Not knowing my rights, I said okay and asked when they could pick it up. They replied Monday. :( :( :( I called Hitachi again to complain about the service company. I was told that they can't refuse repair and I should write a letter of complaint to Hitachi. I asked about getting a replacement instead and was told that the service company have to issue a report stating they can't repair the TV before a replacement can be issued. :thumbsdow

I am extremely dissapointed in the way I have been treated. It seems neither Hitachi or their service company know what customer satisfaction is. :mad: :mad: :mad: I just can't believe that after spending £1200 on TV, it seems I have no rights what so ever. I'm at the point where despite loving the set when it's working, I'd rather get my money back and give it to another company.

Does anyone have any advice on what my next steps should be? :lease:

18. spatial101

spatial101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd write a strong letter of complaint to them. Remind them of the Sale of Goods Act and highlight the poor customer service you've had.

From my understanding of it, all items must be fit for the purpose sold (within reason, but I'm assuming your set isn't even a year old yet). If they aren't you can reject them (not the first option usually, but relevant here since they've had the oppurtunity to fix the fault and seem to have failed). The only thing you'd have to clear up is if this would be with Hitachi themselves or the retailer.

Tranding Standards are usually helpful with things like this. Give them, or Consumer Direct a ring to see where you stand.

Either way, send a letter to Hitachi's UK registered address (recorded delivery) and in it, make time of the essence (ie: give them a reasonable timescale in which to reply - 14 days is usually more than sufficient). See where you go from there.