1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HIFI System Sounds TOO Bright!?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HIFI system is sounding a little on the bright side, by this I mean the Treble is screaming at me, whenever I hear choir voices or an opera singer screeming out a high pitched note, for instance, it feels like my ears are being raped. Perhaps I'm overexagerated a little, but the treble just sounds a little too harsh and too forward.

Generally I'm quite impressed with how my system is sounding overall, but I was wondering if anyone could shed light on why it sounds a little on the bright side. For instance, is it my choice of separates?

BTW my system is:

Mission M71i w/Atcama Nexus 5 stands (filled with sand)
    Arcam A65 plus w/tone controls disabled,
    Marantz CD6000 KI Sig
    QED Speaker cable at £3/metre
    Some £30 stereo phono interconnect

I was thinking of changing my Mission speakers for the floor standing versions (M73i I think), I've heard these sound more dynamic with better/louder bass, would this extra bass help drown out the harsh treble or would just sound the same as the M71i's?

Cheers for any help!

PS. maybe I should demo more :D

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As well as you're equipment, and settings, take a good look at your room. If you have large expanses of hard surfaces, walls, glass/mirrors etc etc, you're sonics will sound overly bright which translates into amongst other things fuzzy harsh high frequencies (treble)
    A good sounding room should be a mixture of absorbative (heavy sofa's, drapes etc), diffusive (bookcases, plants etc) and reflective hard surfaces. As to exactly what the mix is (and where) depends very much on your room, the main listening position and even of course hardware.

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With a bit of luck you should be able to tame your treble by changing your interconnects and/or speaker cables. Find a friendly dealer that will loan you some cables to try.

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any particular type you'd recommend to tame the treble?

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have a mixture of hard and soft surfaces (carpet floors), I have two book/CD cases/towers either side of my speakers but where I sit in the sweet spot are plain walls, although there's two sofas and a single bed (bachelor :( ). My room is the perfect shape for a HIFI room as well, not sure what the dimension are but I looked up the perfect shape and my room fit the right dimensions for it.

I have blinds instead of curtains, could this be a problem, although my speakers point away from them?

Could having my speakers closer too the wall help? I'm not using any foam plug things BTW.

Thanks for all your advice!

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not familiar with the combination of components that you're using, a good dealer should be able to make a recommendation based on your circumstances. Leads with more inductance to roll off the treble would be a good start, something in the vein of Kimber, you could try a DIY CAT5 speaker cable made out of computer network cable.

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    FWIW

I've tried the DIY CAT 5 speaker wire, it took a few hours to braid but cost next to nothing. In my system it's rolloff of the treble made it unsuitable.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    why not try taping some tissue paper over your tweeters?

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    DON'T change you speakers for the bigger M73i's. These have the same forward treble character as their smaller brothers. Try another brand of speaker such as Wharfedale to tame that treble.

10. j4sonk

j4sonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    change your interconnects ,alot can be done to tame an unruly setup.try chord cobra 2 @ around £55 a pop.not a very bright sounding cable,good bass.i have a ki sig,mission 773e and denon avc10+pot10.i have tried lots of interconnects and believe me there is a difference.