E11BTT

Novice Member
Hi
I have purchased the following:
Audio Technica AT-LP3 Black Turntable
Marantz PM44se Hi-Fi Integrated amplifier
MARANTZ CD-75 CD PLAYER
Marantz ST385L FM/AM HiFi Tuner

I need to know what speaker type would be recommended. I know the impedance range, but a lot of speakers have the bare wires and not the kind of connectivity seen on this amp. I also think the amp is capable of using biwire or single wire but again not sure if I am right on that. I have read on another thread someone blowing their amp connecting the same type of amp here to a Wharfedale speaker, so want to be very careful!
This is my first post so if I need to add any other details please do let me know. Many thanks in advance!

NifkinFZ6

Hello,

Few things first: what is the size/dimensions of the space you're setting you kit up in? What sort of listening are you planning to do, e.g. is music for mainly for background purposes, or do you like to sit down for some critical listening? Depending on your room are you considering standmount/bookshelf speakers, or floor standing? What sort of music do you listen to? And what's your budget, and do you prefer used or new?

This'll help us point you in the right direction 👍🏼

E11BTT

Novice Member
Hi thanks. So it will all be set up in my office - I have dedicated space on a table 50(w)x60(d)cm and over 3 shelves of same measurements. It will predominantly background music as I work, with the occasional critical listening. I definitely have to go with bookshelf. My music taste very drastically! But mostly alternative rock. I prefer used, as my budget would be around £60. Hope this helps! Many thanks

gibbsy

Although they are called bookshelf speakers they will not perform very well is put on a bookshelf. Scour the classifieds and look for front ported speakers as they are better when placed close to a wall. The Marantz will sound good when paired with KEF speakers and the Q100 is a front ported speaker but hard to find for your budget.

I've found these older Q10s on evil bay. They are front ported.

E11BTT

Novice Member
Hi thanks - you are right budget could be a problem. But let me assess this.
In the meantime, what spec speakers (in terms of impedance, wattage etc) should I be looking for so that I can narrow the search

gibbsy

The amp has 50 watts into 8 ohms so wattage is not going to be a problem, neither really is sensitivity in a small room. Most bookshelf speakers have a sensitivity of around 88dB which would be more than adequate with an 8 ohm loading. 6 ohm speakers will let the amp output more power but I wouldn't go for 4 ohm as I can't find the figures for a 4 ohm loading on the amp.

dogfonos

I have purchased the following:
Audio Technica AT-LP3 Black Turntable
Marantz PM44se Hi-Fi Integrated amplifier
MARANTZ CD-75 CD PLAYER
Marantz ST385L FM/AM HiFi Tuner
That's a lot of kit to fit onto shelving around your desk (and maybe on the desk too?) and that's without a pair of speakers. Many folk now opt for nearfield studio monitors for this type of application. No worries - you already have the amp so passive speakers it is.

Understandably, most folk use small speakers when listening close up (i.e. <1 m) however, small speakers are rarely able to convincingly fill a medium sized room with sound. The best speaker for close-up listening may not be the perfect speaker for critical listening if you wish to roll back your office chair and listen at a more conventional hifi distance (i.e. around 2 to 3 meters) - or maybe you won't be doing that?

A good compromise is to opt for a pair with a 5" bass/mid driver in each cabinet. That size of speaker won't feel too overwhelming when sitting close-up and the drive units (being closer together on a small speaker) should integrate well enough. Should also perform reasonably well when listening at greater distances so long as the room isn't vast.

For a £60 budget for pre-owned speakers I'd suggest Wharfedale Diamond 220 and 9.1 and D320, Q Acoustics 2010i and 3020i, Mission MX1 and LX1, Just about any speaker under five years old from KEF, Monitor Audio, Tannoy, B&W should be a good bet too. Some less well known brands are very cheap second hand but are still good performers, such as Denon SC-M41, Denon (effectively Mission) SC-M50 and SC-M51. Note: not all these speakers have 5" bass/mid drive units.

Connecting the Marantz amp to any speaker is simple. Wait until you purchase the speaker (because connections may differ) then someone can advise on suitable connectors. And really don't concern yourself with bi-wiring as it's pointless in this instance (as it is in most, if not all, instances). Stick to standard speaker cable (i.e. two conductors) from a known brand and don't pay more than about £2 per metre. QED 42 strand cable is fine for lower powered setups such as yours.

E11BTT

Novice Member
Thanks everyone for your valuable advice. I have found the following:

I think it meets my requirement I just hope it is compatible.

dogfonos

The Mordant Short M10 is perfectly compatible with the Marantz amp. I know little about the MS M10 but, let's face it, for a £60 speaker budget, you don't have much choice new. Seems that both the Marantz amp and the MS M10 speakers use both bare wire connection and banana plug connection. As long as you're not ham-fisted, bare wire connection is best - just be careful to avoid shorting the red and black terminals together (with stray wires) when attaching the speaker cables. Ensure amp is off when you connect up.

The speakers will likely benefit from pads beneath the speaker to prevent vibration between it and the shelf or desk. As a minimum, a few blobs of Blutac will do the job although purpose-made supports, and even desk stands, are available - at a cost. Avoid placing a speaker on the same surface as the turntable.

Let us know how it goes.

DT79

To isolate your speakers on a desk, best use what the professionals use, but blu-tack will suffice if you don’t have the cash immediately.

LampPost

Hi thanks. So it will all be set up in my office - I have dedicated space on a table 50(w)x60(d)cm and over 3 shelves of same measurements. It will predominantly background music as I work, with the occasional critical listening. I definitely have to go with bookshelf. My music taste very drastically! But mostly alternative rock. I prefer used, as my budget would be around £60. Hope this helps! Many thanks
Please don't take this the wrong way but you are wasting your time with a budget of £60, save a little more around £200 and there are some cracking speakers that we can recommend. Speakers are the most important part of any HiFi!

dogfonos

To isolate your speakers on a desk, best use what the professionals use, but blu-tack will suffice if you don’t have the cash immediately.

Folks have used all manner of compliant materials beneath speakers to decouple them from the surface they're placed upon. Squash balls cut in half are said to be good, any thick rubber sealing rings, stiff foam pads, rubber blocks/bungs etc.

The better foam type speaker isolators incorporate a metal plate to add mass but they'll likely cost more than the speakers and would be total overkill in this instance.

DT79

Folks have used all manner of compliant materials beneath speakers to decouple them from the surface they're placed upon. Squash balls cut in half are said to be good, any thick rubber sealing rings, stiff foam pads, rubber blocks/bungs etc.

The better foam type speaker isolators incorporate a metal plate to add mass but they'll likely cost more than the speakers and would be total overkill in this instance.
I was thinking of the ones on there that are £12 or £13