A potentially great thread so here’s mine..

School Days - Parents "Music Centres" - Smoked Glass fronted :rotfl:
Late Teens early 20's - Car Radio Cassette (Sharp with APSS and Blaupunkt speakers) and Panasonic Portable CD Player
1st Hifi 94/95. Mate a big "Audiophile" advised - Arcam Alpha CD and Amp with his Royd A5 Speakers.
03/04 -Denon UDM30 and Mission M71 Speakers. Arcam stored due to young children.
06 - Gifted Arcam to music loving pal (RIP mate) speakers back to mate - working overseas
06-16 - Laptop, Sonos etc.
17 - Keen to listen to my vinyl & streaming - Yamaha RN602, Nad (RP1) TT, QA Acoustic Speakers.
Present System below - Will upgrade TT to RP3 this year, poss new speakers to a higher level European manufactured bookshelf. Then maybe it’s the end of upgraditus 🤣

Last edited:
My journey started probably in the mid to late 60's, as a small child, I always remember hearing music in the home (mother being a hippy) so music was a massive part of my childhood. I got my first piece of equipment Christmas 72 aged 10, a Fidelity record deck in white together with a few singles of the year, some LP records to play in my bedroom.
That was the beginning of audio nirvana and have spent the rest of my life listening to music daily, got to see my first live gigs from the age of 14.
Equipment wise I had a few music centres until I started work, then got my first separates system, an Akai deck, Sansui amp and Goodman speakers.
That lasted maybe 6 months, then upgraded to a Dual 505/2 deck, Ortofon OM cartridge, NAD 3120 amp, Kef Calinda speakers.
Finally after the next system of an AR legend deck(beautiful record deck) Goldring 1040 cartridge, HK pre amp + Leak TL10 monoblocks and Heybrook HB1 speakers.
I managed to purchase a Linn Sondek, Ittok arm + AT moving coil cartridge, Magnum pre and power amps, and a pair of Kef ref 104 speakers. Audio bliss, my god my records sounded so good, that was until 92.
Then came the silly mistake of listening to the hype of digital is so much better, records are finished nonsense via the hifi magazines. I think the nail in the coffin was when I was informed they could no longer supply pure vinyl records, all records would be manufactured using recycled vinyl, that was it..... I sold all my records to a collector (3000+ albums) 1000 or so singles too.
Then sold off my Linn front end - what a stupid mistake that was. Then went out and purchased a top range Pioneer CD player plus a few hundred CD's.

Move on nearly 30 years, lots of house moves, still listening to music daily and finally have a dedicated music room........But always regretted selling the records and the Linn, I made the decision to back to records.
I also loved those MBL speakers I heard over 10 years ago, but well out of reach financially, and far to big for my listening room. But I heard Wolfgang Meletzky of MBL designed a more affordable pair speakers (MCT 21) and tracked down a pair to listen too.

So my current current line up is
Linn Sondek Hercules 2 power supply + lots cartridges, MM and MC, iFi Zen phono amp ( this is so cheap it's a bargain of the century)
Marantz 6006 CD player.
Willsenton R8 tube amp lots of tube rolling,
Music Culture Technology RL21 speakers on their dedicated stands.
I think I might now be in music heaven...

And I am now buying back all my vinyl records......££££
Lesson learned the hard way.

Last edited:
@musicphil - Had a much smaller record collection one of those vinyl covered boxes from woolworths with my "main" records in and a cardboard box of similar size. The latter ended up at the tip during a house move. It had the more interesting and valuable stuff in and still bugs me.

Re the IFI Zen. I've poor music room wifi, noted Yamaha WXAD10's selling for more than I paid, sold mine on eBay sameday - and bought an IFI Zen Blue reduced on Amazon. Very impressive sound and build, tempted to their Phono for comparison with my Rega Fono, can always return it.

Mines simple.

KEF LS50WII and avoided the journey 😄

I did start with a set of KEF LSX for my Gaming PC first 2 years before.

Spent a fair bit on portable audio though, starting in my teen's with a Sony Walkman CD player.

@psikey - You’ve the right idea. Since writing above I’ve considered numerous Project TT’s as options to the RP3, 3 Amps and a couple of CD’s 🤦🏻🤦🏻

My hi-fi journey started in the 1970's when I bought a Garrard 401 record deck and SME 12" arm.

They cost a fortune then (around £30 I believe) and are now going on eBay for over £1,000 today.

Guess who threw them in the skip in 1995 when I converted to CD's! :facepalm::suicide:

it's been 5 years since I put in an update, sh*t, where does the time go???

No drastic changes in those 5 years, changed over from a Naim Supernait 2 to the Naim Supernait 3

The Supernait 2 channel blew twice in the time I had it, so thought I would just purchase a new amp, given I love the Naim sound I had a listen to the 3 prior to purchasing and I was very happy with it, other than that everything is still the same! :) Luckily upgraditus has kept away!

My hi-fi journey started in the 1970's when I bought a Garrard 401 record deck and SME 12" arm.

They cost a fortune then (around £30 I believe) and are now going on eBay for over £1,000 today.

Guess who threw them in the skip in 1995 when I converted to CD's! :facepalm::suicide:
Began in 1957 when young sister wanted a record player and father refused her. Big brother bought a soldering iron and made one from resistors and valves (only two) and other bits bought in the Tottenham Court Road. It worked first time and it was the start of an expensive road.
Circa 1961 I think the Garrard 301 may have been £19 or maybe it was the 12" SME.
The SME was sold circa 1988 and replaced with the 9" version. Both it and the Garrard are still with me, though no longer in use.

I feel your pain in the inflation, I bought my first turntable in the mid 70s for £35 but that was around 2 weeks wage. Just approaching retirement my system I worked out is approximately 6 months wages. I think it was a garrard make. But the years also affect my memory lol.

Attachments

• 20231231_181208.jpg
    20231231_181208.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231206_004314 1 1~2.jpg
    20231206_004314 1 1~2.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 2023-05-27-21-49-23-040~2.jpg
    2023-05-27-21-49-23-040~2.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 36
My journey (in the USA - so any reference to money will be in $$$$), began circa 1966 at age 15. My father of all people (I had European parents [Trieste Italy] who emmigrated via Ellis Island in NY in June 1951- I was born that October [Made in Italy , Born in the USA !] gave me a reel to reel tape recorder for Xmas. I had a small radio and a multi-record changer phonograph player. Around that time, I started to play Drums (thank You Ringo, Charlie and Dino Danelli). My parents had at that time a Stereo / Color TV Console in the Living Room, made by Fischer Stereo with a Zenith TV. I would hold up a microphone to one of the two stereo speakers (they were built in to either side of the console). My parents played music sparingly at home as I recall (Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc.). My father had a a Harman Kardon Stereo receiver and a turntable at his restaurant to play music in his Italian restaurant { I worked there at 14 years old after getting caught playing Hookey form High School - a cruel and Unusual Punishment for my "Crime"). This wet my appetite for music later in life.
After getting married in 1974 to my HS Sweetheart (next year will be 50 Years!), I purchased my first quality Stereo system. Pioneer Receiver (the famous one taht i do not recall the model number), a Thorens TT, and a pair of JBL 100 mid tower speakers (the ones with a Blue fabric cover). After we were robbed at our house one day in November 1977 (the date of our wedding Anniversary), they took my Pioneer Receiver and some other jewerly in the house. I replaced the pioneer with AKAI separates : Tuner (which I still have), a Preamp and Amp.

Moving on to 1987, two years after moving to a new house in a different county in NY (Westchester from Queens) , I purchased a new stereo system. Similar to the OP, I went into a true Stereo HiFi store in Mt. Kisco NY directed there by a business associate that knew the owner. I did not a specific Budget, but $$$$ was still an object. After selecting a general budget area of expense, i began to audition systems in the the shop. After listening to various components and switching between various speaker pairs in the listening room, when the salesman hit the selector to play the KEF 104/s Tower speakers, that was it! he continued to match what he recommended as quality Pre Amp and Amp for the power needs of these 4 Ohm Speakers. I selected a NAD 1300 Preamp and NAD 2600 Power Amp (Stack) and a Dual CS5000 TT with a Shure MM cartridge. Total costs per my recollection circa $2,500 with a decent discount. My problem lied with the size of the new KEF tower speakers in solid mahagony cabinets (heavy as hell) and the Wifey. I brought the system home and "hid" the speakers in our basement. For about a month!!. I had to massage her into acceptance!. Her first reaction that i remember to this day was: "Oh, No, those are not going in our living room". After climbing this hurdle, I installed the system I allowed her to pick the cabinet (which was a rustic pine wood Armoir) that allowed room for me to install wood shelves for the equipment ( also added a new Onkyo 6 disc CD player / changer a few months later and a separate Equalizer which I rarely used) . Connected the speakers with Monster Speaker wire (probably 12 guage ) drilling small holes in the floor to wire form below vai the open basement ceiling to the floor above - it is a single story ranch style house [still here]. Then when I played the first LP, i selected one her favorites, Laura Nyro - I think. we were WOWed by the sound. To this day, it sounds great, No sub woofer or Equalizer. Then playing CDs furthered the WOW factor. The only problem I encountered all these years was with a TT HUM about 3 years ago. At first, itvws determined that the NAD Preamp was the culprit = if i giggled the RCA connecting cables, the Hum would be erratic on & off. I tried re-grounding the TT, but that didn't help. i brought the NAD preamp to a Stereo repair shop - the initial hesteria of Covid was calming down. The repairman found that some Diodes were burnt out. he replaced them, i picked the unit and was excited to play LPs again. But within 10 minutes the Humming (LOUD) started again!. I returend the NAD to the shop, he replaced a few more diodes (he showed me the burned out ones). Then he kept in his shop for a few days connected to a TT he had there. it was HUM free. When I re-connected it to my TT, again it started well but after a playing time, the HUM returned. After doing some research on line about Dual CS5000 TT , it was discovered that they are directly wired form the Tone arm vai RCA cables as the Input wiring to a receiver. Therein lies their inherent problem, in the Cables!. In this interim period, i bought a separate NAD Phono Preamp, thinking the problem was with the Phono Preamp built in the NAD 1300 Preamp. It Hummed with the new Phomno Preamp - as the cables heated with playing, the Humming would appear. Actually I beleive it is the RCA jack connectors that are at fault. In lieu of rewiring the Dual TT, I connected an extension Cable to the existing RCA cables and connected those to the NAD - no more Humming! Were the diodes burnt out - yes, he put them in my hand as he removed them form the rear panel of the NAD. The Humming was damaging the diodes.
The only thing i have added to this system is a BT receiver , a 1Aii model, to the AUX In to the NAD1300. Thn i can play via BT form my Phone or hook up (pair) a earby Amazon Echo to Stream music to th stereo. Works quite well.

Now FF to 2020 and the creation of a new System in the Finished Basement {FB}of the house. The FB became my Mancave ( I usually don't like that term - but it does fit the usage), duing COVID Hibernation. On March 17, 2020 - due to COVID, we were mandated to work from Home [ I ws still working at the time for a Commercial Bank as a Commercial real estate mortgage loan Officer - retired with disabilities in may 2021) . Hated It !! I like being with co-workers, trading stories and sports talk & Looking at the fashion statements of the women. Variety is the Spice of life!. Nothing wrong with a little flirting now & then! In 2019, I had resurrected playing Drums after 50 Years. My wife (of all people) gifted me for Xmas in 2018 a cheapo Drum Kit to play again - as I was approaching retirement. I played along to music on a Boom Box. That sucked. i started to amass a new stereo system in the FB. During mid 2020 and into early 2021, I began to view You Tube videos by reviewers of various stereo equipment, Receivers, Amps, speakers, TTs and CD Players. Thankfully, Amazon Prime membership was very helpful. I would purchase certain equipment, and if not to my satisfaction (including various speakers ) I would return them without any hassles. After trying a Yamaha, a Sony, and one other Receiver, I settled on a Denon DRA-800H main system AVR Receiver (no video use yet). The full FB system is thus:
Denon Receiver connected to 2 pairs of Speakers (A & B channels) - 1 pair of Elac Debut 6.2s and 1 Pair of KEF Q350s Bookshelf speakers in the rear of the FB:
IOTA SA3 / PA3 Preamp/Amp & a Emotiva A300 Amp in a Stack connected to - 1 Pair of Elac Refernce Debut 6.2s and 1 pair of Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf Speakers in the front of the FB;
Audio-Technica 120LPXUSB-BT TT;
a Tascom Double casette Player;
Tascom CD player / recorder;
Teac Cassette / CD /USB Player & recorder;
Schiit Mani Phono Preamp;
Schiit SAGA Preamp / Selector;
Schiit LOKI - a 4 band Equalizer with a 10Db boost.

I play the rear system while I play Drums. I play the front system while I'm on my PC for listening. And sometimes I play both simultaneously! The use of 4 different pairs of Bookshelf Speakers in Audiophile land is a big No-No. However, i can say that the sound is Concert Hall Quality in this manner. I mixed and matched the pairs of Speakers to experiment in sound engineering. Moreover, I have a Amazon ECHO, 4th Gen unit in the FB that I connect via BT to either system to Stream music easily. The Denon has the ability to play another system via its Zone B connection. I can play he Denon receiver and simultaneously play the same music via the Zone B to the IOTA/Emotiva Stack.

You been busy, It's hard to please the wife when your pushing stuff into her living space too. I got lucky after being made redundant & getting 2 years payment so refitted my system 2 years ago with rega planar3, marantz amp & cd 6007 but the Q acoustic 3020i's speakers were replaced by the wife with B&W speakers from her redundancy 1 year later. You need a tolerant partner.

So what. Done the same mistake my self. Think someone said “holy Batman to me”
Coulda Been worse, my dementia may have taken a real hold of me by now. ( I aint joking too, diagnosed last year). Music is a great therapy & will carry on as long as I can.

Attachments

• 1000052843.jpg
    1000052843.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 47
As you can see I am struggling ¿

Attachments

• 20231206_004628~3.jpg
    20231206_004628~3.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230902_163942.jpg
    20230902_163942.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231231_181208.jpg
    20231231_181208.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 2023-05-27-21-49-23-040~2.jpg
    2023-05-27-21-49-23-040~2.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 44
@Deaf Audiophile, sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. I wish you happy new year. Music is excellent for therapy. Fine setup you’ve got.

First I had a Sharp 'Music Centre'. TBF it was far better than those Amstrad things you could get.
First 'HiFi' was a Technics separates system with tape deck, turntable, equaliser and receiver. Loved it and that when it took off for me. First CD player was a Ferguson CD04 back in 1985 / 86 I think. I then go biten by the AV bug and everything moved over to including vision - Laserdisc and I was one of the first with a DVD player - a Pioneer DV505. Around this time I gave all my vinyl away (I know right). Then it was all 5.1 but always a receiver which was just as capable with audio. I've now got a dedicated AV / Movie room and my HIFI is separate to my AV kit with the exception of speakers.
I've had way too many amps / cd players etc than I can remember but I've always stuck with Tannoy speakers.
So here's my set up now. The AV setup (as featured in HCC magazine) and my hifi rig (I'm just getting back into vinyl again) with self built unit. Currently have a speaker switch box - but need to find a better solution.

Attachments

• MH205897-HDR-Edit (1).JPG
    MH205897-HDR-Edit (1).JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7518 copy.jpg
    IMG_7518 copy.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 24
First I had a Sharp 'Music Centre'. TBF it was far better than those Amstrad things you could get.
First 'HiFi' was a Technics separates system with tape deck, turntable, equaliser and receiver. Loved it and that when it took off for me. First CD player was a Ferguson CD04 back in 1985 / 86 I think. I then go biten by the AV bug and everything moved over to including vision - Laserdisc and I was one of the first with a DVD player - a Pioneer DV505. Around this time I gave all my vinyl away (I know right). Then it was all 5.1 but always a receiver which was just as capable with audio. I've now got a dedicated AV / Movie room and my HIFI is separate to my AV kit with the exception of speakers.
I've had way too many amps / cd players etc than I can remember but I've always stuck with Tannoy speakers.
So here's my set up now. The AV setup (as featured in HCC magazine) and my hifi rig (I'm just getting back into vinyl again) with self built unit. Currently have a speaker switch box - but need to find a better solution.
Is the Marantz stable software wise?

Is the Marantz stable software wise?
I've not had a problem so far. The only instability in the system is it's owner who can't stop messing around with it.

My latest topic is a amazon fire hd 8 with Bluetooth 5.2, & 3000 flac albums streamed from the amazon to my hifi through a 5.2 Mii Bluetooth Ldac Receiver. Considering my health I achieved this feat today & it sounds blooming amazing through the hifi costing around £150.

Attachments

• 20231231_185035.jpg
    20231231_185035.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 20
I've always had music in my life from my teens in the early 1960s. My highest quality being a Technics separates system in the 1980s. My wife was a professional photographer and spent hours in her darkroom. That's when we bought our first CD system as it made it much easier for her to listen to her favourite albums when working.

We bought a Technics CDP that fitted in well with the system and eventually stopped buying vinyl. When surround sound came out we tried running two separate systems but it was just too many speakers. So we gave the Technics away and bought a Denon AVR. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

So we decided to go back to a two system set up. Onkyo integrated amp and Mission speakers. That didn't work out too well either. Speakers were great, the Onkyo not so. Back to an up to date Denon which didn't sound that good either.

The next adventure was the wonderful Rega Elicit-R and KEF R300 speakers. However things took an unexpected and very unwelcome turn in 2016. My wife had a very serious heart attack which has left her with heart failure and having to have an ICD implanted. So she gets quite tired and goes to bed early, far too early for me and so my journey into quality headphones began. I now have three, Oppo PM1 open back planars, Focal Clear MG dynamic open backs and Denon AH-D9200 closed back dynamic. Soon this will increase to four as I'm looking for a pair of closed back planars.

Thankyou, I appreciate that. I am trying to keep brain active but it has a mind of its own if you pardon the pun, but I do retire in 2024 so I did my bit & my recent hi res file idea worked so boosted my confidence, I started the project 1 week ago to see if I could get a device capable of streaming cheapish but enough tech to send a large amount of album files in flac high res from a portable device to my hifi through 5.2 Bluetooth with Ldac. I achieved it today with no breakup of sound or quality with 500 gb of flac albums although I am working on more memory for the another 500 gb of albums I already have, the idea is portability & quality at low cost. All fed through a decent system.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G4 OLED Best Picture Settings Out Of The Box - Filmmaker Mode!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom