1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My heart was set on a LC32GA3E - what do I do now??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by geekgrrrl, Jan 20, 2005.

1. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did all the right things. I did my research, I spent ages in JL, I read every post on this site, I decided on the LC32GA3E as the answer to all my needs... you know the rest of the story. Tragic. If only I'd bought it that day in JL Cribbs in mid-nov when they had 10 in stock...

I really want a LCD, the space I have for it to go is only 810mm wide (so the Sharp gave me the biggest screen for the space), I liked the look, image, and inputs of the Sharp. I know I could get a GA5 (and actually I've got one on order) but it makes me cross that it has no DVI and is the same price. I'm not sure it is the right decision.

I'd really value all your opinions. Should I get the GA5 anyway? Is there any other 32" LCD out there or coming which has the speakers at the bottom and a thin frame, so it will get into my 810mm space? Or should I buy a 26" one and if so which one? I use it to watch DVDs and Sky+ (analogue terrestrial channels through sky as well), as well as sort out my digital photos and videos. We aren't a gaming household although my eldest son is 6 and I can see it coming. I can't get digital terrestrial where I am at the moment so I'm not inclined to a digital box.

My old tv broke this weekend and I'm going mad without CBeebies to occupy the little ones. :D Help me, please! :lease: Thanks, Melissa

2. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    A brand new 32" LC32GA3E went on ebay the other day, although it didn't have any extended warranty it still had the one year with it, could be worth a look if you've got your heart set on this model?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hi melissa the JVC LCD's have speaker underneath but a larger border.....
    http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=LT-32C31SJE&PHPSESSID=1a6eb9828c2883c13483aa1681992a8e
    833mm wide so may not be any use...
    http://www.sharp.co.uk/aquos_tv/range/products/product.asp?id=27
    is same dimensions and better spec but more money.......but includes DVi and DVB tuner (no external box for Cbeebies)
    http://www.sony.co.uk/ShowProduct.do?site=odw_en_GB&category=TVP+Flat+Panel+TV&product=KLV-30HR3 is another option that would fit... BUT the Aquos titanium gets my Vote.......Excellent bit of kit

4. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just spoke to RGB, and they said they are discontinuing the 32inch GA3E.

However the GA4E is still in production ... they Sharp UK are just low in stock as demand has gone crazy!

But they said they are confident that more GA4Es will be in stock soon.

On that basis perhaps it is worth just waiting a bit to see what happens?

5. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone! deadred, hadn't thought of ebay for my £1000+ purchase! Just had a look and there is nothing there at the moment, I'll keep an eye on it though. Hornydragon - looking at the 32GD1E made me all excited until I saw the prices on pricerunner. £2300! I'm going to have to admit that I don't understand the DVi and DVB bit though - I thought that was just a digital tuner for freeview channels. But does it mean I could get rid of the sky+ box? even if I wanted eg skymovies? And is there anything else about it which makes it worth the extra £1000? Sorry for being thick. THe sony is interesting as well, I didn't know there was a 30" model, I'll look into that one.
    Hoyin, the GA4 has speakers at the side though, so it wouldn't fit into my space. And although I could detach them I'm not sure where I'd put them. Although I guess I could permanently detach them and plug in separate wall mounted speakers elsewhere in the room, could I? Thanks for that info, though.
    I'm ****** off with sharp, everyone you speak to there gives you different information about where the GA3 and 4 have gone, whether they are coming back, when the GA5 will be released to retailers etc etc. But I do like their televisions!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the GD1E is the top of range Sharp rangehas extras other dont (DVi input for HD) Digital tuner as well as analogue get 1-5 AND freeview see www.freeview.co.uk has extra scart and digital audio out (not relavent unless you have a surround system) finish looks much nicer in the flesh too......it is an extra £600 tho............ but i am sure you will find stock

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The 3 and 4 models have DVI-HDCP also.

8. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just used the postcode checker on freeview and it reckons I don't get the signal here, just my luck! There is a guy in the village who is a crowncastle transmission engineer though so I'll talk to him about whether that is right, or if we are getting any new transmitters covering the area. But assuming I CAN'T get dtv, I guess there isn't any point in looking at the gd1e, is there? Apart from DVi. And pretty finish. Sigh.
    I'm off to check out your SOny.
    I haven't even considered plasma - should I go there?!!

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what is the MAX MAX width??? 37" Panny Plasma Dimensions (W x H x D) 920 x 550 x 89mm
    32" Plasma are rare and not very good..........

10. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    max max width is 810mm I'm afraid! unless I knock down a wall!

it could be more if I could wallmount it over the fireplace but I have listed panelling and can't see how I can do the wiring without ruining it

what I really need is a 37"state of the art LCD with completely wireless connections, hahaha

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Give sharp time, have 15" but battery for a 37" would be huge............. Panny PW& series plasma alos have awireless video option woulg something like this help????
    http://www.e-visionuk.co.uk/plasma-bracket.htm then you can have any size?

12. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get a wireless plasma?!
    I think I could mount the screen either directly or using an arm, it is how to bring the wiring/power/etc up and out of the panelling that is the problem. especially with the fireplace below!
    mind you the sharp digital has a media box doesn't it? so I guess you are just looking at one wire from that to the screen and the rest go into the box? does the screen power from the media box or does it have its own power cord as well? hmmmmmmmmmmm, this could be interesting.....
    hornydragon, you are a star. even though your photo scares me!

13. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    If you think that's bad, wait till you see him in real life :eek: :eek: :eek:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL nice aint it, plasma needs power cable but can send video wireless (£300) upgrade.............running cables neatly can be done thats where pro installer comes in................. there isnt much you cant do with some thought inspiration and a shed load of cash.................

15. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now, where did I put that shed?!
    got to go and pick up kid#1, but you've given me a lot to think about. will have a look at that plasma this evening. thank you!

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  17. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  18. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hifi companies have to send adverts into mags about a month in advance of the magazine coming out. If WhatHifi comes out on the 1st Jan, that means they sent the Ads around the endof November/beginning of December when some GA3/4s were available.

Crap I know but what can you do ?

Incidently, the Sevenoaks website does state....

"Please Note: Some products may not be available at all stores."

Shouldn't that be...

"Please Note: Some products may not be available at any stores."

:)

Richie.

19. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    they dont have them instock, only the uber expensive 32" titanaium and the GA5e series screens.

f

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  21. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  22. David (2)

David (2)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in exactly the same situation (down to the research, and the 810mm gap! Ok I have 815mm ... luxury)

I had wondered whether an LC32GA4 can be fitted with GA3 speakers - is the base unit the same? And would GA3 speakers be available as a spare part? Can't find an answer to that. The line drawings look very similar.

Meanwhile we will see if I can wait for the a GA5 or get tempted by falling prices on a GD1. End of Jan all the dealers say.

23. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH MY GOD Crampton and Moore have the 32GD1E for £1899! It is £2995 in John Lewis! Bloody hell!

I have ordered one, it is coming next week. I'M SO EXCITED! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks very much for all your help, especially hornydragon. No doubt I'll be on here again when it is delivered trying to work out how to set it up...

24. geekgrrrl

geekgrrrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It gets better. John Lewis have price matched it. It is being delivered next Thurs> My cup overfloweth. Neil, thanks so much for that link, I would never have got this sorted without it! :hiya: