1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My heart says 42WH36 but my head says 32ZD26!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Skull Cowboy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I’m currently lusting over a 42WH36 RPTV. However, I’m a tad concerned that I may be making an unwise choice and would be better off with the ‘more sensible’ 32ZD26. The set will be used for ‘normal’ use (i.e. cable TV) particularly by my 12 year old son as well as for movies (fed from my Tosh 330 DVD player via component leads). My main worries are: is my room big enough? (about 9-10ft from the back of the sofa to the wall where the TV will be) and will the PQ be on a par with the 32ZD26? (I know that there is no point in comparing the two in showrooms).

Thanks for any advice.

Chris.

2. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has to be the RP, no contest!

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your room size is fine, but regardless of what's already been posted, the Direct View CRT will give you better picture quality than the RPTV.

There's also the issue of viewing angles and positioning and light levels with an RPTV, so they're not great for daytime viewing or for having many people in the room at one time.

You might also want to consider the 36" version of the Direct View Toshiba CRT you mention - the 36ZD26P, which can be had for similar money to the 42WH36

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I think I'll be disagreeing with Dimmy today...

The RPTV IMHO is far superior to any CRT set I've seen in the last 6 months..

Just for starters
    To quote a phrase, "Thats not entirely accurate".. althoughI;ll start by saying that viewing angles are evident on an RPTV, obviously just walking around one in Curry;s makes this obvious but
    1. The Horizontal angles are excellent, as long as you are sat down in the room, it pretty much does not matter where you sit, even at stupid angles, the picture may dim, but its uniform, and wewll watchable, in fact @ 89 degrees you can still see all the picture, something a CRT can't match. So you can have loads of people in the room, no problem.
    2. They are FAR superior for daytime viewing.. the brightness if turned up is far in excess of any CRT, and the non-reflective screen is the biggest factor, it stops any bright reflections from ruining the picture, my previous 32" widescreen was not visible in the same room, yet my 51" RPTV is ultra clear, and bright!!! of course, direct sunlight does wash the set out, in the same way it does on a CRT.

And as for the picture quality, Using AVIA, you really see how superb the RPTV's are.. adjusting Brightness for black level and white level is easy, its that linear, and colour decoder performance is exemplary.. and it shows in the picture.. Everyone thats seen my 51" has been blown away by the picture.

The biggest problem I find is people are all to quick to dismiss RPTV, with myth and mis-information, without having actually owned one, or seen one in a proper set-up, and the xxWH36 toshiba range have yet again improved the PQ..

Its all to easy to see any weaknesses, and you can argue points against all types of TV, but its when you count the number of strenghts of each set, that you soon see how RPTV is more then worth considering..

and when it comes to the crunch, 9/10 RPTV owners, especially the latest sony/toshiba models all state how amazing the sets are in comparison to direct view, and would never go back!!!..

5. bond007

bond007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I too have to agree with what Demon said, at first I was really reluctant to get a RPTV because of the viewing angles and how they looked washed out where ever I went, even when I went to my friends house, which he has a 42" sony (4:3) about 4 - 5 years old now, I thought it didn’t look great, his was an ex display model(needs to be serviced i think), but from what I have seen from my Tosh 51WH36P it has changed my view on RPTV's the image quality is good, and should be able to get it better with a little tweaking (focus and image size need doing a little). I previously owned a 42" Panasonic plasma (42PWD6) before this, I have to say, this is a far better display than that and bigger too. The viewing angles are fine too, i thought that we would have to sit in front and people around the sides would get dim image, but so far I can get 7 people (all seats used) in the room with a perfectly fine image, with only 2 of those getting a noticeable decrease in brightness, 2 others have very little decrease and 3 in front are all perfect, it is really just the vertical viewing angle that makes the most difference.
    My room is laid out as follows:

....TV
    S floor S
    S floor S
    ...SSS

(floor and . is there to keep the spacing)
    with speakers either side of the tv, with the amp cable dvd player etc on the left and rear speakers either side of the sofa at the back (SSS) which is about 10ft away from the screen.

I would say, if you want a large screen get the RP, not a CRT, i saw the Tosh 36" picture frame 2 in a shop and thought it look really good compared to the RPTV's in the shop. Apart from a slight geometry problem with it, and the noticeable scan lines. I was considering getting it. But i wanted a larger screen, like the plasma I had, so took a gamble with the RP which it has paid off, I am glad I got it. Only problem was the actual size of it, getting it in the house, I had to get 6 friends around to try and get it in, the delivery men wouldn’t do what was needed, damn them :) But I would say it would be an equally hard task to get a 36" CRT in, its weight would be close to that of the RP and its depth too. Only its height would be different I suspect.

But thats my view, and if you ask some of my friends, they will tell you that when it came to me getting a new tv I was damn picky about it, took me ages to get the plasma, and i ended up returning it due to some faults in the display, as it wasnt as good as i had hoped. They all thought it looked great, and so do many other people, just take a look in the plasma section of this forum. But my feelings on the image quality was, it was below par. This, especially for its price, it an excelent display and I am looking forward to what it can become with the focus done.
    The only problems I would say there are with it is the faint band on mine down the center, supposed to be due to masking tape, and that it needs to be configured, the convergence, focus etc to get the best out of it, but then, thats better than not having those functions on a TV (well without messing with the Tube in a CRT)

6. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the in-depth replies. The viewing angle won’t be a problem, as I don’t have any friends! (Mind you, in that case moving it might be). Seriously, are RP sets really that heavy and awkward to move (I will 'only' be getting a 42”)? Can you remove the screen from the base or do they have to be shifted as a complete unit? Sorry for all the questions but I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to home cinema. When I stumbled on these forums I was only after a 28” 50Hz set - look what you’ve done to me!

Once again thanks for all the great advice.

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    the RPTV's are one unit I',m afraid, but luckily they are 'slim' for their screen size, and the 42 is not that heavy at all... compared to a 36" CRT, 2 people can easily lift it, hell ,me and my missus carted my old 50" from the garage (where it was left by stupid delivery men) to the house..

The good news is, if its delivered direct ftom Toshiba, 2 guys turn up and they will lug it into the house.. so no problemo's there!!! I was impressed with the service when the 51" was delivered!!! I just made a cuppa, and sat back and watched them cart it in and unpack...

As with all TV's you can get problems, i.e. not correctly focused, etc, but at least on an RPTV its all sortable, and tweakable with a little know-how.. with a CRT you're stuck with whatever faults it turns up with, so you end up trying to get a replacement set, only to find its worse then the one you sent back!!!!

8. bond007

bond007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You didnt get the same 2 guys I got then :) they brought it around, put it in my front, gave it a go, couldn't get it around the corner, needed lifting over a hand rail outside, but said we will not do that, dont want to hurt ourselves, so we can leave it here and you can try and get it in or we can take it back. Well I said leave it, got some friends around they lifted it over for me and it was in, while almost crushing me in the process :)

They also said why didnt you get the 42" that would have fitted, well i say, so did the 51", you just didnt try :p

Oh and the 51" is 81KG in the box, about 75KG out of it, so would imagine the 42" would be about 10-15KG less, someone correct me on this if they have the correct weight.

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demon - Rubbish, descent CRT Direct View TVs deliver much higher quality pictures than CRT RPTVs, it's just fact!

10. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys – I didn’t mean to cause an argument! I suppose that if this question has caused discussions among the experts then there is no definitive answer and it comes down to personal choice – bugger, I hate decisions! The trouble is that direct view CRT sets, if fed from a DVD player, seem to look OK in showrooms but RPTVs never seem to. However, the people who have them correctly set up at home seem to swear by them. I suppose I could ask the question ‘Does anyone regret buying a RPTV instead of a direct view CRT’ and see what the response is.

Coming from an engineering background, I love the idea of being able to ‘tweak’ the settings to improve the picture, which I understand can be done on RPTV.

I don’t want a large screen just for the sake of having one, I just want the right set within my budget that will give the best viewing experience. Although I watch a lot of DVDs, both my son and me also watch a fair amount of ‘normal’ cable TV so it has got to be OK for that too. The obvious answer would be to try a RPTV at home for a few days but I suspect that if I didn’t get on with it, the retailer would not be too happy if I returned it just because I didn’t like it! Why can’t life be simple?!

11. bond007

bond007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can return the TV within 7 days if you dont like it for a full refund, its your right, thats if they tell you your rights, if they dont I think it is 30 days, but this only applies to distance purchasing, so you have to order it online. The only thing that you will need to pay for is the delivery. This can apply to local shops too, as distance purchasing is when you dont go set foot in the store. So you could call them up and order it. Have a look on the C.A.B website for full details on this.

This is how I was intending on taking back my plasma, but I found out that i didnt have any real rights to do so as i bought it in a local shop and saw it before hand, but panasonic were nice, and said I could, well, they told me to return it to the panasonic shop for a refund as they couldnt do anything about it.

I was expecting to use the same rights, this time I had them as i bought online when I got my RPTV, I enquired about delivery costs for a return etc, but I havent regretted it, I thought that I would but I havent.

The RPTV is shops look really bad, this I think is due to them turning up the contrast and brightness to close to full, not converging the image and well, giving them all a shared RF signal.

12. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Skull cowboy, very wise of you!!!.. Its true that TV performance can be a personal thing.. we all have different criteria when we asses a TV..
    I agree whole heartedly that every person is different, and at the end of the day all these sets are analogue, fed with an analogue signal, so you have a whole list of possible criteria to judge them by.. the level of importance you assign to each criteria will probably help you make a decision...

As for causing arguments, don't panic, this is really what forums are about, when you have any opposing views, conflict always seems to ensue..

All I will say to this is, I have seen the 36zp38 (a 'good' direct view CRT?) next to a 51wh36 (A good CRT RPTV?) both setup using AVIA, and both in an actual front room, (My brother has both, the 36" is for the family room), and then actually compared the performance.. so my opinion is based on actual experience, which I believe is more valid... :)

13. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that I’m going to bite the bullet and order the RPTV online (thanks for the tip bond007) and see what I think. By the way, all my DVDs are PAL/Region 2 at the moment so is it worth me buying the AVIA DVD to set up the TV (once I’ve decided to keep it) or is there a PAL equivalent?

I’ve said it before but once again thanks for all the fantastic advice that everyone has given me. It really is encouraging how much time people spend helping complete strangers!

14. bond007

bond007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No problem:) I got my RPTV from www.robertsons-online.co.uk they state the 7 day return policy on their website so you have only the 7days, but I thought well since the state it they should do it without any problem :) When I asked how much the return postage would be they said about £80, and sounded a little confused, as this was before I had recieved the TV. :D

15. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noooooooooooo…………!!!

After months of trying to decide what TV to buy and after getting some great advice from the forum members I finally decided to get the 42WH36. I had set myself an absolute limit of £1000 and Comet were advertising it for £999 with IFC (+ a very reasonable £11 delivery – I can live with a £10 overspend!). Any way, after checking it was still £999 I hit the ‘proceed to checkout’ button and, you’ve guessed it, it has gone up by over £100 since yesterday! I really MUST learn to impulse buy! Anyway if anyone knows where I can get one of these for around £1000 with IFC I’d very grateful.

Cheers

16. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Skull Cowboy

Pleased to meet another prevaricating idiot :suicide:

I actually took a printout of the £999 web page into my local Comet to see if they would sell it to me at that price rather than their shop price of £1299. They refused and by the time I got back home the price had risen by £105 :mad:

Time to stop pennypinching and buy it quick methinks
    :rolleyes:

17. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it shouldn’t, but that does make me feel a bit better ;). You’re probably already aware of this but you can get it from www.tvandvideodirect.com for £1020 + £40 del. I dont know anything about the company or if they do IFC.

Good luck – let me know if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

Cheers,

Chris

18. valmiki

valmiki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Skull Cowboy,

42WH36. I took delivery of mine from TV and Video Direct last week. I phoned them on monday and had it on thursday. I'm now basking in the glory that is toshiba and my wife's bemused expression on her face. Go on son, you know it makes sense!

19. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pinipatel,

I take it that you’re happy with your purchase then? What’s the picture like and did you have to tweak the settings much? Also, did you have much trouble getting it in your room?

As for buying one myself, I’m definitely going to take the plunge but what I thought I’d do is wait until they’ve gone up another hundred quid or so and get it then! Seriously, TV and Video direct seem like they offer a great service – 3 days can’t be bad. Did it come from them or straight from Toshiba?

Cheers

20. gfleming

gfleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too keep uming & arghing about which tv to buy but more or less decided on the Tosh 42wh36 from TV & video direct unless anyones got any comments to the contrary. Gonna order next week so any comments from you guys that have one I'd appreciate. Not seen this tv in action purely buying mainly on Demons & Nathansilly comments. Hope I haven't hijacked this thread.

Graham

21. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi. :)

I'm considering buying one of these after selling my Tosh PF1. I've just found a price of £980.00 + delivery (£29.99 in my case) from here I have no idea what the company is like, but thought, given the cost of your hesitation, that you might be interested ;)

Sigs

Edit: Their 5 year extended warranty seems very reasonable also @ £149.00 :)

22. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sigismund
    Brilliant - You’ve made my day (well, OK then, night):) :) :). They can only have just reduced this because on pricerunner it still says Panther price is £1099. Once again thanks for pointing this out.

gfleming
    I must admit, I was expecting some replies from Nathan (although there's obviously no reason why he should) as he’s always been really helpful to others in the past and obviously knows his stuff. Perhaps he’s on holiday.

BTW, you haven’t hijacked this thread at all – it’s good to hear from others who are also about to take their first steps into the world of RPTV.

23. valmiki

valmiki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Skull Cowboy,

Apologies for the late reply.

The box was quite small than expected. Obviously the Width and Height were pretty big but the Depth was narrow so had no probs getting it through the front door.

The picture is excellent.

I did play around a lot with the settings but only because I could!

The convergence was a bit of a nuisance since each viewing mode had its own setting, so every time you flicked through you'd have to adjust it. But once done, it only takes small adjustments after that. I've heard this is normal until the set 'breaks in' so to speak.

The sound quality is pretty good as well, considering its just nicam.

It came straight from TV V&D on a pallet, because I live so far away! Give them a ring - if you live closer they will deliver by van themselves. The set was in stock when I ordered it, which was why it was delivered so quickly. Only problem is they could not specify when my was delivered [again as it was delivered by a third party] and may involve waiting around a bit.

Well worth it, bask in the admiration when friends come round!

Would go into more detail but I'm on my way out. Any more Q's please ask. Hope this helps.

24. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pinipatel

Thanks for the reply – very helpful :D. I should be getting mine soon and when it comes it’ll be like Christmas day aged 5! (well alright, Christmas day aged 5,6,7…39,40,41). I’m sure I’ll have a shed load of Q’s when it arrives so I’ll probably bore everyone silly then!

Cheers