1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My heads about to explode...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Progeni, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Progeni

Progeni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Hi folks,

Been reading a lot on these good old forums recently and have managed to put myself of Plasma, onto and off DLP same with LCD and back to Plasma.

I am now looking at buying a Hitachi 42@ 7200 Plasma, and what I would like is some reassurance :confused:

My one sticking issue is Screen retention/burn. I am bricking it about spending 2k and having a TV that permanently has a Sky One logo at the top. If I were to purchase and run the unit for a hell of a long time with more conservative settings (like the ones mentioned somewhere here) would it be fair to say I should have fairly trouble free motoring with it ?

Have read some of the stories here and am now thinking of buying a new car instead so please help me be at peace with my Plasma buy. :devil:

Many Thanks
    Jon

2. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The screen retention isn't really a problem any more I dont think, my parents cheapo plasma spends the majority of its life on QVC and Skysports and I haven't seen any screen burn or anything, the brightness and contrast aren't all the way up but if it doesn't happen on a cheap one then chances are one setting you back 2k should be dandy. :thumbsup:

3. DMA

DMA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at it this way, if you get a plasma then you have to treat it well, having a SKY logo on the screen for hours at a time isn't a good idea, so you'd have to zoom it out, at least for the first 200 hours or so.

If you get a new car, are you going to be racing around it, pulling hand break turns? No, you're going to treat it with respect & care because you're not going to want to wreck it. It's exactly the same thing.

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    screenburn isnt a problem, retention however is in some cases. my pv500 is being replaced as its retaining a grey sheen across the screen. not a logo or anything like that. it does go away but only after about 8 hours so JL are giving me a new one tomorrow, thank god for the 5 year warranty!

5. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Screen burn? What screen burn? Had my 7200 a few months now and no sign whatsoever. Personally I think it's all a myth!

Go buy the 7200 you won't be disappointed, don't listen to all the Panny freaks on the forum! ;)