1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my headless digital camera photos

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by myself, Jul 3, 2004.

1. myself

myself

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Today I picked up the pictures that I gave for development.
    It was he first time I gave pictures for development from my digital camera.

However all the pictures have been cut from the top and the bottom. Some of the pictures were headless!

When I asked at the Boots counter (this is where I developed my pictures), they said that this is how their machine shows the pictures. I had a look myself on their machine and to my surprise the pictures were cut off at the top and bottom.

I am not sure why that happened since on my digital camera and on my PC I can see the pictures fine, on their normal size.

Has that happened to anyone before?
    Any advice on what I can do?

Many thanks

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I'm pretty new to this digicam mullarky myself, but I think this may be down to your camera creating a 4:3 image and the store processing the photos at 3:2, which some cameras are able to do (Olympus C-4000 can be changed from 4:3 to 3:2, for instance). I don't think there's actually anything wrong... it's just a framing issue - still a bummer, though :(

I guess it's related, in a way, to a widescreen image being shown in 1.33:1 and the extremeties of the image getting cropped.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    That seems like a bit of a poor show to me, i've never used any photo printing services, but i would have thought if they had a 3:2 aspect developer/printer then they'd give you the option of cropping the photo (a la missing heads) or just having white bars at the side to give the full 4:3 photo. Maybe some do and others just don't bother?

4. myself

myself

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

By the way I am using a Pentax Optio S.

I can't believe my photos have been cut like this!!!

Should I make a big point of this in the shop?

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Taken from photobox.co.uk

You should select a print size that matches the aspect ratio of your original image. Our default print size is 6"x4.5" which matches the shape of most digital camera images. If the print shape and image shape are different then some cropping will occur.

If you go to the shopping basket and view thumbnail images, a red rectangle is drawn around each image to show the effects of cropping for the chosen print size. You can choose to make your image "shrink to fit" on the selected paper size. This will shrink the image and surround by white space. Tick the "to fit" checkbox in the shopping basket and no cropping will occur.

NEW! You can now zoom in and choose how to crop your photos. Just click the "zoom and enlarge" link in the shopping basket as required.

So your pictures were too large for the size paper, and we're croped to fit. Its better if you crop at home with softwear. Or pick a smaller size

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately, 3:2 ratio prints have been the norm for years now, and so most high street print shops are still printing in this format. If they were to check every single image that they print, the cost would have to go up as every picture is effectively beng printed by hand.

I don't know what you do with your prints once you've got them, but if you put them into an album, most of these are still in the 3:2 ratio. So even if you were to get your prints printed from photobox at 6 x 4½, you would either have to cut the photos down to size to fit them into a 6x4 album, or alternatively, have them 'rattling around' a 7x5 album.

Other alternatives:
    * crop all your images to 3:2 ratio before getting them printed.
    * when taking photos, try to leave some free space at the top and bottom of the picture.
    * buy a camera that shoots in 3:2 ratio, such as the Olympus already mentioned or the Minolta A2
    * buy a photo printer and print them yourself.

7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I'd go for the third option... but an A2 :D

8. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, make a big issue of it, don't use them again, and use www.photobox.co.uk for your pictures from now on, where you can prevent this from happening using a couple of ways