1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HDTV player arrived today oh yes

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by WIRY, Aug 8, 2003.

1. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Said I would update you on the new hdtv player when it arrived so here it is:)

Started watching ID4 which is the only film I got sofar, (will order more today)
    Its the details of things that jump out of the screen at you ALL THE TIME, rather than just now and again with dvd, say like the scene in LOR:EE when they first come out of the mines of moria, where they lose gandalf, you see all the details on the rocks, well its like that all the time, every scene on D-VHS, ok dark scenes are not as good as light, but thats just plasma limitations not the player-- plus we dont have the eyes of a cat now do we

or its like a front cover of a magazine, (That thick shiny paper) with a high quality photo on it, that moves, thats what the day time scenes are like , a moving photo:)

if my screen was 4inchs wider on each side i would proberly get the hole film init, but as it stands it cuts the film down to my screen size 42 inch, and leaves 2 inch black bar top & bottom, but you dont feel like your missing any of the action:)

in short much more detail, stands to reason really as these tapes hold 75 Gb of info, compared to dvd`s 9Gb , I still love dvd tho, speaclly as blockbuster rent them (wink wink), there`s no reason you cant have both:) so anyone out there who thinking a new denon 1000 quid dvd player will probably produce the best PQ on your plasma, think again, its less than half that price:)

I cant really say anymore than that about it really, only that it cost me 400 quid incl del&vat
    and i cant give you a review of the optical sound because im just about to order the darn cable, for some reason i thought i could use the playstaion one , shame but wont fit one end, but the reviews at http://www.ng03.co.uk go into the sound a bit more and the PQ aswell if you are intested:)

Take it easy guys

if someone would have told me a month ago, that i would be using vhs tapes again, and that it would blow dvd out of the water in PQ i would have told that someone they were in need of help

things change kundun

best regards
    wiry

2. lfletcher

lfletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Wiry,
    Where did you order the player for £400 from?

Thankyou

3. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Wiry,
    Sounds good, but TAPE ?
    I've just converted to DVD-RAM, so tape seems a little bulky.
    Also where do you get the films from ?

I'm hoping that Blu-ray comes here before we all realise that all movies are now sequels and no-one has an original idea.
    (Can't wait to buy T3 on DVD-whatever).

Enjoy, now which plasma will actually show these best whilst being ok for Sky - Alis screens, 'ED/SD' or 'HD' ?!

Steve.

4. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi lfletcher

got my JVC 3000 from http://www.digitalfotoclub.com US company

and i got my tapes from http://www.dvdboxoffice.com they are a company in canada, but they give you free shipping, each tape cost around 20 quid all in, I was lucky with my jvc, in that the kind fellows at her majesty's customs where asleep when my parcel landed at the airport, other wise it would have cost me another 50 quid in vat

yo Steve

yeah bloody tapes again, i know but dvd just cant store that sort of data yet, even that blu-ray can only hold 23GB, the jvc says on the box it dose 28mbps frame rate or what ever, so that sounds good eh, i did do quite alot of asking around first to make sure this was`nt a waste of 400 quid, the last thing i wanted was a vhs player that was only as good as a decent dvd player.

Im well happy with it tho, the ID4 was made in 1996 i think, and LOR:EE was made 2001/02 and the PQ of ID4 is better than LOR:EE, saying that they are both great, and no worries in watching eather, its just i wanted the best, and the saving on buying the 400e really allowed that to happen.

as for which screen will be best to watch them on, well i can only go with what I`ve got, and that is more than fine, im well happy
    with both my purchases, sky movies the other night was as good as some dvds, say back to the future, or stargate, crap dvds as they are, just did`nt get the conversion right i guess, and the films i watched on sky were made with the very latest tech

my dvd players are`nt that bad eather, i`ve three, two proscan
    on my pc, with mpeg decoder card, and the new one i just brought is considerd to be better than a 1200 denon one acording to what home cinema mag:)

anyway lads good luck with what ever you end up with and me`s hoping customs treat your parcel the same as mine;)

best regards

wiry:smoke:

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
  6. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    WIRY,

I used your link to the digital foto club site & could find no mention of their shipping costs to the UK at all!

Point me in the right direction please M8.

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Quick note anyone with a JVC proffessional acount can get one UK spec.
    THey were launched as consumer products here in 96 but take up was so slowthey dropped them now used for studio recordings etc. They are the most awsome PQ every top end manufacturer use them for demo at trade shows etc. But pre recorded tapes are rare and limited titles. Also all thhe wear problems of VHS all over again!!!!!

8. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hornydragon,

I think you may have misunderstood which player and tapes that WIRY is refering to.

The JVC HM-DH30000 is indeed a dvhs player but it is also the only JVC player that is DTheatre capable and therefore able to play back the new pre-recorded DTheatre tapes.

DTheatre is a new development which utilises the dvhs platform as it's base.

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

9. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi KBDVD

yes your right digi did`nt tell me the shipping costs right up till before the credit card entry, when i saw it was 100 pound, i thought there must be a another site with cheaper P&P than that, so i saved the page and went surfing for a better deal, some time later i then relised after posting some Q`s on some forums, that 100 quid was the norm, also i didnt find another site that was willing to ship to the UK, or take credit card over the net.

hornydragon

Like KBDVD says there is only one player that plays and recordes HDTV and thats the JVC, also a note on the wear you mentioned
    i dont know howmany times you watch your films you have, me personally watch them 4-5 times a year, and one of thease HDTV tapes could be watched a 1000 times and still look better than dvd, dont get me wrong tho i love dvd aswell:)

best regards

wiry
    :smoke:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yes I know I had a long discussion about it with the JVC rep and the Sim2 guy at cedia In the UK these are pro only products D-Theatre is D-VHS rebranded small diffferences but not a lot of difference.

Who else makes D-Theatre decks????

11. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi AGAIN

on my D-VHS tape that arrived the other day, it says on the top front D-THEATER , and on the bottom side it says, D-VHS, so i agree with you there, yes the titals are limited, whth only about 30 major films out now, daredevil, and timemachine were just brought out, I think film compaines know this wont compete with dvd, but its a way of them makeing a few extra bob, considering all film starts off on tape, it makes ity easy to reproduce etc, and they know there s only an elite few who will buy, however, in the US people are buy these players like hot cakes, to tape HDTV from the satelite, and get highgrade vids of whatever, so more people with the unit in there living room the better:)

who else makes them, well there are a couple of other compaines that make HDTV recorders, but JVC is the only D-THEATER player aswell as being a recorder

laters dudes

regards

12. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    opps

13. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Some quick points from my perspective,

1. I believe Marantz also now make a D-VHS D-Theater player.

2. JVC now sells two new D-VHS D-Theater models. These are the SR-VD400US PRO-HD D-VHS machine and the upcoming HM-DH40000U domestic version.

3. D-Theatre tapes are so far only being supported by three Film companies, but others may come on board if it becomes enough of a "niche" market. BUT they do mean High Definition NOW!

4. D-Theater is NOT D-VHS rebranded! It is however an additional embelishment to the dvhs platform that allows playback of the new D-Theater tapes.

5. These tapes WILL NOT work on a standard dvhs machine!!!! I would therefore have to disagree with hornydragon & would have to argue that this is a MAJOR difference if you are buying a machines to specifically watch D-Theater tapes!

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    With KBDVD:

D-Theater is a copy protection format that JVC licence. As mentioned there are other manufacturers and model of D-Theater enabled decks.

There are also lots of DVHS tape decks in USA that can record and playback off air HDTV. It's only the pre-recrded D-Theater titles that require ownership of one of the three D-Theatre players.

The tapes will suffer drop outs if abused.

Gordon

15. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The king of AV has spoken, and the matter is solved:)

cheers Gordon

you never did get back to my secound Q on the "in ports" and "out ports" of holl3d mate, is it sky digi box into JS component converter, then component into holol3d, then graphics card to plasma?

best regards

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I am not a Holo3D owner. immersive have their own support forum for that product at their website. I do believe that the method you have listed here is how it would work...

<Elvis voice on> Thank you very much! </Elvis voice off>

Gordon