My HDTV is very old, Id like to upgrade

Xanity

Novice Member
Hey

Ive had my HDTV for years now, its the Samsung LE40M87BDX.
Not sure what Samsung series that is, probably series 1..

I see Samsung have like Series 7 or 8 now.... My friend has a LED Series 5 Samsung TV and the picture looks soooo much better than mine

I dont use my TV a great deal, Im more of a PC person so I dont want to go mad but if I can, I would like a new TV..... If I can get one as good or better than what my friend has for about £400 then Id love that!

I watch a little bit of TV, mainly movies though. With either SkyHD, PS3 or directly via my PC's HDMI output.
I also play abit of PS3 games on the TV too.

Could anyone recommend a good TV for me? Would have to be at least 40inch, couldnt go smaller.. but I want better picture quality than what my LE40M87BDX gives because my friends Samsung 5 series is much better as I said, or it seems much better anyway.... havent exactly compared them head to head (next to each other)

I would try and sell my current TV aswel to put towards the new one

Thank you

vickster

Distinguished Member
The Samsung 5 series starts with the 40D5000, not much in the way of features though and is ~£480.

Next model up is the 40D5520, at around £530, SMART with Freeview HD

If you really only have £400, look at the 40D580 LCD, not a great TV or maybe one of the LG offerings (but again with weaknesses).

You won't get much for your old TV, better to give it to a relative for Xmas :)

Xanity

Novice Member
Are you saying for £400 im not going to get much of an upgrade from my current TV?
Obviously id rather not waste my money as I do want a visibly clear big difference

Forget my budget then, which TV would you recommend for me?

P.S
Cant find any reviews about this TV. It sounds so good, 42inch 1080p with 600Hz for only £329???
LG 42PT353K 42-inch Widescreen HD Ready 600Hz Plasma TV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Anyone know what this TV is like?

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Ignore the 600hz thing with plasmas, not especially relevant - search on here for an explanation

That TV isn't full HD and I would not use a plasma, especially LG and bog-basic, as a PC screen, too much risk of image retention

A £400 LCD should be a decent upgrade, but don't expect perfection - that is very much entry level for full HD. Go to Richer Sounds and do some demo'ing

Budget no object, go for the Samsung your mate has?

This is a good price for the 40D5000 http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/ue40d5000/sams-ue40d5000

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes, decent place, they can be a bit biased towards LG so don't be swayed if you prefer something else. Far better than Currys and Comet. Where do you live as there are also good independent retailers around the country? John Lewis have great CS too and you get 5 year warranty but not the cheapest

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sound and Vision are in Bolton, not too far I guess, or RS, John Lewis

Xanity

Novice Member
I see theirs a richer sound in Chester, I think I will have a look there the next time I go chester

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom