My HDAnywhere 4x4 single wire: experiences and questions

Normal Bias

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last weekend I'd finally pulled enough cables to experimentally connect up my HDA matrix. I started with one source device and one display.

The source is a Mede8er MED6003DX streamer which I have moved to my network cabinet on top of the matrix. The display is a Optoma HD300X projector. I actually have a Neet 4x2 matrix in line with the PJ which serves the TV and PJ. This £70 device has worked very well over the past couple of years and apart from the very occasional need for a reboot has worked flawlessly.

Connected everything up and got a picture straight away. Control of the streamer via the IR blaster worked well, although the RC had to be quite accurately pointed at the receiver. Not too worried about that.

I was able to select all resolutions on the mede8er, including 1080P60. Good to know my cat6a is ok :).

There are a few foibles to iron out though...

1. I couldn't get it to display 3D. The streamer didn't think it was talking to a 3D device. The PJ is the only display I have connected to the matrix (via the Neet). I thought this was strange as the PJ would report 1080p60 no problem. This is not a showstopper as I doubt I will want to share 3D content around anyway. I'll have another streamer for 3D serving the PJ.

2. I powered down and disconnected the matrix for a while, and tried hda output 2 directly to the PJ via another hda cat6 receiver etc (ie, no intervening Neet). This time I could only get 720p60 on the streamer. Even worse than with the Neet in between. Not sure what's going on with that, but again it's not a showstopper as the Neet will always be used in practise.

3. When I power on the streamer, the hda display goes from 0 0 0 0 to 2 2 2 2 (I was using input 2) and things work as above. But if I power off the streamer via the IR blaster and the hda matrix says 0 0 0 0, I can't power it on again. I have to go in to the garage and use the remote directly or power button. Must there always be one active source? Seems like the matrix is unresponsive to any IR commands if it's showing 0 0 0 0.

So looks quite promising overall, nice picture quality and generally seems to work well, with the above caveats.

Suggestions welcome :)

I tried another display yesterday by trailing some cat6 through the house. All seems to work fine except that once the matrix has seen my 1080i kitchen TV, it won't display 1080p ever again. Not without a fight, anyway.

The streamer has an HDMI search facility which will report the available display modes, which is handy for working out which modes the matrix is saying are available.

If I'm watching 1080p and then connect up the 1080i display (power on the receiver and select the HDMI input etc), both show 1080i as expected. This downgrading of available display modes seems to be handled very smoothly.

After that..

Put the 1080i display in standby.
Perform auto-search. No 1080p on the other TV.
Unplug and replug HDMI at 1080p TV.
Perform auto-search. No 1080p.
Power off the receiver unit at 1080i TV.
Perform auto-search. No 1080p.
Unplug and replug HDMI at 1080p TV (1080i receiver still off).
Perform auto-search. Now I can get 1080p.

The matrix doesn't seem to upgrade the available modes as easily as it downgrades them. I realise it uses a least common denominator approach, but surely the list of valid modes should be kept up to date as displays go offline?

If this isn't fixable with a firmware update I will probably have to buy a 1080p kitchen TV. My 3rd display hasn't been bought yet so that won't be a problem.

I only have one source connected at the moment, so maybe when I have more connected, changing the 1080i display to a different source would cause the matrix to update its list of modes, and this won't be a problem when it's all set up and being used for real. It would be useful to be able to select no source for (logically disconnect) a given display. Other matrices have this feature. Perhaps I should dedicate one of the inputs to be used for this purpose :laugh:.

Despite these foibles it does seem to work well :). Great to be able to walk between the two displays and control either of them with the same remote :thumbsup:

To continue my monologue, tried an Apple TV that worked very well, the remote forwarding was responsive and you'd never know it wasn't right in front of you.

More to the point, it would switch on again after switching off. :) Looks like that particular issue is to do with the Mede8er.

I originally wanted to keep my PS3 under my TV for ease of use, but looks like this is not going to be an option :suicide:. I have run a 12m HDMI cable between the matrix and the PS3, the idea being that the IR4PS3 is located by the matrix and the signal travels to the PS3 (the bluetooth aspect of this idea works fine). I tested the HDMI cable by connecting my streamer to one end and the neet to the other end. It worked fine, perfect 3D on the projector, so was pleased the cable was good :thumbsup:.

Connecting my PS3 to the matrix via the same HDMI cable gives an unwatchable snowstorm :eek: :thumbsdow.

Moved the PS3 into the network cabinet :( and connected it to the matrix using a 1m HDMI cable and no problems. Tried a 3DBD and it worked fine. This shows the HDA matrix can pass 3D, but I can't understand why the PS3 sees a 3D display but the mede8er doesn't :confused:. No other displays connected. Spent 4 hours trying to get it working :mad::mad:.

Off to the streamers forum to see if they have any ideas...

Hi there!

Sorry for the late reply on this thread, please refer all support questions like this to our support e-mail for a more instant response.

I'll start with your first post if that's ok:

1. We have a 3D EDID for the system. You may need this loading into the unit. We'd load a unit with the EDID, test it and send it out to you.
2. This looks like an EDID issue again. The matrix only detecting the projector capable of 720P.
3. When did you purchase the unit from us? All of our units have had a software change to remove this very bug. Where you can't select an in-active input and therefore can't switch a device that's off, back on. The matrix only needs the standard HDMI hotplug detection to know a source is there. But there are a few devices on the market that when in standby, stop this 5V on it's HDMI. Which is actually against HDMI specifications. Leading to the matrix not thinking it's plugged in. So we had the software altered to cope. We can replace your unit with one with this software upgrade loaded.

Your 2nd post:

The matrix would probably need a software reset to cope with constant changes of up and down. The EDID lowest common denominator is designed to give you video and audio in all places without issue. To keep things simple for the end user. The manual covers this topic. If something changes in the system, the unit should be reset. Instructions are on our support website, support.hdconnectivity.com in the downloadable manual.

Your third post:

HDMI has distance limitations. 3D is only specified to go 8m on HDMI. The PS3 is clearly having trouble driving the 12m passive cable. Replacing with an active hdmi lead would fix this I'm sure. Our training material, available online, that we give to trade customers, would have a great explanation of why your PS3 is not making the 12m cable work and the mede8er might be.

You've also identified that if PS3 3D works, then there's an issue with the mede8er and the unit. This may be fixed by the 3D EDID loaded unit, but logic tells you that if the PS3 works, the matrix is working for 3D. I've not heard of a mede8er and if it's a small company, a relatively "out there" source, then it is more likely to have an issue than something built by a multi national corporation. I'm sure between us all we can figure it out.

Many Thanks!

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like the 3D EDID will fix my 3D issue. Presumably this guarantees that one or more input sources always see a 3D-capable display(?). That would be great.

I bought the matrix a while ago when there was the "12% off" promotion, around January time I think. Makes sense that the matrix thinks the source is disconnected and I'm glad there's a fix :smashin:.

Re the constant up and down, I may be expecting too much for it to readjust on the fly.

Agreed about the cable. Not a problem with the matrix. I run 12m to the PJ without problems but this 15m cable struggles. It is actually borderline as the PS3 home screen at 1080p(50?) has sparklies, but I can watch 1080p24 with no issue. Anyway, I will try a 12m one as it's a bit long anyway.

All in all if I can get a 3D EDID fixed to a couple of inputs, the 5v workaround installed and a new kitchen TV I think I'll be in business :thumbsup:. I'll give support a call during the week.

Thanks again for your help.
NB

I originally wanted to keep my PS3 under my TV for ease of use, but looks like this is not going to be an option :suicide:. I have run a 12m HDMI cable between the matrix and the PS3, the idea being that the IR4PS3 is located by the matrix and the signal travels to the PS3 (the bluetooth aspect of this idea works fine). I tested the HDMI cable by connecting my streamer to one end and the neet to the other end. It worked fine, perfect 3D on the projector, so was pleased the cable was good :thumbsup:.

Connecting my PS3 to the matrix via the same HDMI cable gives an unwatchable snowstorm :eek: :thumbsdow.

Problem solved with this cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B3FR8QK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in case anyone's interested :D

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There are a few foibles to iron out though...

1. I couldn't get it to display 3D. The streamer didn't think it was talking to a 3D device. The PJ is the only display I have connected to the matrix (via the Neet). I thought this was strange as the PJ would report 1080p60 no problem. This is not a showstopper as I doubt I will want to share 3D content around anyway. I'll have another streamer for 3D serving the PJ.

2. I powered down and disconnected the matrix for a while, and tried hda output 2 directly to the PJ via another hda cat6 receiver etc (ie, no intervening Neet). This time I could only get 720p60 on the streamer. Even worse than with the Neet in between. Not sure what's going on with that, but again it's not a showstopper as the Neet will always be used in practise.

3. When I power on the streamer, the hda display goes from 0 0 0 0 to 2 2 2 2 (I was using input 2) and things work as above. But if I power off the streamer via the IR blaster and the hda matrix says 0 0 0 0, I can't power it on again. I have to go in to the garage and use the remote directly or power button. Must there always be one active source? Seems like the matrix is unresponsive to any IR commands if it's showing 0 0 0 0.

Just to update my thread:

I sent the matrix in for an upgrade to the latest version. This took just over a week and has cured all the problems above :clap:.
Works like a dream. Many thanks to the guys at HDConnectivity for sorting it out. :smashin:

To update my blog ;)...

I've upgraded to a Panny TX-P50GT60 (from a TH-P42Z700) and this has caused a few problems with my setup. The TV usually won't display a picture without some manual intervention. I get one of 3 things happen when I power it up out of standby (the Harmony one also selects the right matrix input etc):

- no picture at all
- regular brief flashes of faint green lines every 2s or so
- white noise, like an analogue TV with no aerial connected

In all cases the TV is on the correct input (it reports HDMI1). Pulling the power cable out of the HDBaseT receiver box and reinserting it fixes the problem, and once up and running all is ok and picture looks great. I can then change inputs and it works ok.

It just seems to have problems locking on to begin with.

I notice that when the TV is in standby, the HDBaseT receiver shows 3 solid lights and one flashing for mode (ie, the HDCP light is lit). This is in contrast to my kitchen TV where the HDCP light goes out when the TV is put in standby. Not sure if related.

I tried a different receiver box and no luck. I tried a different receiver power supply and that seemed to fix it but the next day the problem was back. Have tried a different HDMI cable and same result. I will try a different cat6 patch lead (doubtful) and using a different HDMI input on the TV. I'll also see if there are any power saving modes on the TV that will drop the HDMI when put in standby.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Problem solved. Replaced the Neet matrix that sits between the HDBaseT receiver and the TV/PJ with a powered Neet 1x2 splitter. Now that the HDA matrix is controlling the sources, the Neet matrix was only being used as a splitter anyway. The splitter never used to work very well when connected to the non-3D TV, but with the new TV and PJ now matching in specifications, it seems to work nicely. :)

Had no TV this evening so went into the garage to investigate and the matrix looked to be switched off (except it wasn't).

Switching it off and back on produced a tiny flicker of blue light from the various LEDs but nothing more.

I suspected the power supply so hunted round for another one of the same rating (12V 5A, centre +ve) and luckily for me the PS from an old QNAP 219 NAS has exactly the same output and DC connector.

Plugged it in and all is good with the world again :). I would hazard a guess that the QNAP's power supply is a good quality item given its role of running the NAS 24/7 and the consequences of failure...

But this did remind me that the matrix is central to everything. Without it, there is no TV or bluray or streamer or anything...anywhere in the house.

Had no TV this evening so went into the garage to investigate and the matrix looked to be switched off (except it wasn't).

Switching it off and back on produced a tiny flicker of blue light from the various LEDs but nothing more.

I suspected the power supply so hunted round for another one of the same rating (12V 5A, centre +ve) and luckily for me the PS from an old QNAP 219 NAS has exactly the same output and DC connector.

Plugged it in and all is good with the world again :). I would hazard a guess that the QNAP's power supply is a good quality item given its role of running the NAS 24/7 and the consequences of failure...

But this did remind me that the matrix is central to everything. Without it, there is no TV or bluray or streamer or anything...anywhere in the house.

I still run Sky over RF2 with local Magic Eyes as a backup, so should the matrix fail you still have Sky available and controllable although in the lowest quality until a fix can be made.

I agree with Neilball always best to have a backup plan.
Freeview aerial coax to rooftop aerial we would always recommend as a backup

I have a rooftop antenna and two of my TVs are wired up but have yet to run a cable to the others...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom